Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudden

Older Saitek X52 losing keymap view setup

16 posts in this topic

I'm finally trying to fly in wwiionline. I have an X52 (not pro) joystick that I used without trouble in aces high but it is behaving badly here.

So far, all I have used is the keymapper to setup the stick and throttle. If anyone has a profile they can share that would be much appreciated.

I run win7 64. I have the latest saitek drivers installed. I have a usb keyboard and mouse and the stick is also usb (if that matters).

I managed to get views setup the way I like them but they do not hold. Pinky switch is set to shift the main hat for upward views. It worked for a bit but then my default view got stuck at rear/right. The only way I could look forward was to press the gunsight view.

The only other problem is the brakes. I tried to assign them to the toggle buttons on the stick portion but they do not take at all (wheel lock does work fine on the third toggle)

Rebooted, unplugged stick, tried different settings but now I only have a forward view, no hat function at all. That is making it very hard for SA :) but not too bad since I'm a bnz 109e for now.

I also remapped the main throttle to the rudder and the small slider to throttle. These hold no problem.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

sudden

Since there were no replies for saitek can anyone recommend a joystick that works well in wwiionline?

Thanks

Since there were no replies for saitek can anyone recommend a joystick that works well in wwiionline?

Thanks

The X52 works well in the game, been using it since it came out.

Are you sure that you are SAVING CHANGES in the WWIIOL Keymapper?

I can't seem to find what i'm looking for you to give you my settings so I'm going to start another thread to help me find what I'm looking for. I'll try to find some time later today or tomarrow to type some things out if I have to for you.

The X52 works well in the game, been using it since it came out.

Are you sure that you are SAVING CHANGES in the WWIIOL Keymapper?

I can't seem to find what i'm looking for you to give you my settings so I'm going to start another thread to help me find what I'm looking for. I'll try to find some time later today or tomarrow to type some things out if I have to for you.

Thanks sonofmac, I appreciate it.

I did remember to save the changes. They worked ok at first but then stopped and I was left with a right/rear view only and no other positions worked at all except the gunsight mode.

I set things to a more basic view/hat layout and it has remained stable so far. I still don't have any back/up/ views

I'm going to try to map those again.

I used X52 pro last year, and it is not much different from X52

i didn't set any special profile, except program a button in stick/throttle to match TS push to talk key

I didn't have any troubles using POVs HAT to look around, you sure you downloaded the latest setup software from Saitek website ?

Also, my mouse and KB are all USB as well, but I plug the stick/throttle USB into USB 2.0 ports and KB/mouse in USB 1.1 ports since I only have 2 USB 2.0 potss available rest is USB 1.1 in my MB.

I searched on some forum that if you plug that into Keyboard USB ports which is usually USB 1.1 may not have very good power.

Does your motherboard has USB 2.0 ports ?

Thanks for the tip ycluk. I will try using different usb ports to see what effect it has.

I think all my usb ports are 2.0 but it's still worth trying to switch them around (might have a flaky one).

I played again today and the settings held. I still haven't tried to reprogram the pinky switch but I at least have the rear/right/up view working using the normal back position on the hat.

Now that I know this is stable I will try the pinky switch again. I'm starting to suspect the switch.

Just curious, how do you look behind and up in an airplane with the default hat switch views? I could not find it mapped by default which is why I tried to map all my up type views to the pinky switch.

what is the pinky switch in x52 ?

also, i don't think there is behind and up view at all

there is no behind and down view either

behind has 6 views as far as i can find, 3 on each side - up, middle, & down

the behind view is actually the left behind view

up view has only directly up, and forward up

what is the pinky switch in x52 ?

also, i don't think there is behind and up view at all

there is no behind and down view either

behind has 6 views as far as i can find, 3 on each side - up, middle, & down

the behind view is actually the left behind view

up view has only directly up, and forward up

The X52 has another trigger type switch on the joystick portion. I call it the pinky switch because when you are holding the joystick, your index finger naturally falls on the main trigger and your pinky finger naturally falls on the other switch.

I found 2 views in the keymapper that let me look towards the rear right and rear left, both up. (don't remember the names but they work like you would expect). I didn't explain myself very well in the earlier post. I know that there shouldn't be a back only view.

What I tried to do was use the pinky switch as a combination command with the normal hat views. I had the pinky set to "look up" and combined it with the hat positions. It worked but didn't hold.

The good news is that I'm getting closer to having it work.

Thanks for your help.

you mean when you press the button, your character turned to the view and then return to center immediately, so it worked but didn't hold ?

game default pov is to look around, and you use combine up and down buttons to look around in up or down view

i set it to look left / up / right / down, then 2 buttons to combine to look forward or back

it's just how you get used to it

but you are right, using combination buttons save a lot of buttons to do other things, you only need an 8-way POV HAT and 2 more to look forward/back or up/down

you mean when you press the button, your character turned to the view and then return to center immediately, so it worked but didn't hold ?

Yes. It worked at first but while still in the hangar it got stuck in one of the rear views (not up+rear) and just stayed there. All hat positions quit working.

That's the way I like to set up my views when flying combat sims. One hat switch for looking around and then a combo button with the hat to shift all views to (up)+(whatever).

I don't worry too much about the down views. I just dip the wing a little for that.

Yes. It worked at first but while still in the hangar it got stuck in one of the rear views (not up+rear) and just stayed there. All hat positions quit working.

I don't know why it stuck, never happened to me b4.

Try a different button ( not on the same HAT ) to see if it's same or not.

Or did you have free look button mapped to that rear button ?

Sudden, Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.

First I want you to right click on your Start button and Explore go to the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\My Documents\Battleground Europe\ and click on the cfml folder and COPY it, then PASTE it on your desktop. Now you have a backup of your WWIIOL:BE cfml folder (all your CURRENT keymapper settings).

Since you are trying to set up views with your joystick hat switch I'm assuming you don't have TrackIR. So...now go into the game and your keymapper and into Views. The very top item is "Toggle Free Look" click on it, then click on the "Clear Keymap" button on the bottom to get rid of the "n" - now "Save" it. If you are inadvertantly typing without a chat window up and type an "n" it will enable Mouse Look and make all of your "button" views you program in null and void until you hit the "n" button again. Getting rid of the "n" takes this out of play. So if you use Mouse Look for anything else it won't work, but for testing this problem do it for now. Now try your current setting in game and see if this fixes the problem.

IF NOT - Again go to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\My Documents\Battleground Europe\ and click on the cfml folder to open it up. Double click on the "views" file to open it up in notepad or wordpad. Copy and paste the following in place of what you have there then click on "File" and "Save" in notepad or wordpad.

<?xml version='1.0'?>

POV1n

POV1n

POV1ne

POV1nw

POV1e

POV1w

POV1se

POV1sw

Go back into the game and try your views. Programed on your Joystick lower Hat Switch will be your 8 regular views. Pull back on your Joystick Pinky Switch while opperating the Hat Switch and it should be all of the same views but "up". I didn't program the down views anywhere. No real need as all you have to do is roll your plane a little. If you had something else like a Map view or something else programed into the same HAT it will probably do both - but hey this is to test your views to see if they hold so maybe go clear them out for now.

If this doesn't hold I'm out of ideas. You can copy and paste your cfml folder on your desktop back into the CC:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\My Documents\Battleground Europe\ folder to replace all of these settings and go back to what you had before you started all of this. -Hope it helps.

Edited by sonofmac

One thing to keep in mind and thats flying in this game is much more "real" then Aces High is, where you can pull off all kinds of super slow gamey moves. Here you actually have to keep your airspeed up and stay trimmed to fight effectively. And you have to get in close to shoot, where'as in AH you can score hits 1,000 yrds away.

Also, when in a bomber, you cant fly the airplane when your in the bombardiers position. You have to map your buttons so's you can switch quickly from pilot to bomber. I will add that many enemies you encounter here will be hunting in packs with wingmen.

Once you get used to this flight model you realize its much more realistic then Aces High, which ends up looking arcade-like in comparison.

Also here there is no Ghetto slum talk baiting the enemy after a fight. There is no channel 200 and no talking to the enemy at all.

For this game I have my X52 mapped using both the games keymapper and Saiteks software. Both perform perfectly in harmony with each other.

Sorry I'm so late replying also. I didn't see any replies checking new posts (gotta get used to the forum or change notifications).

Thanks very much for the feedback sonofmac!

I'm building a new gamer right now (didn't need to but daughter needed a comp so she has my old one). I will try your recommendations as soon as I get up and running. Thanks again.

I've looked at trackir before but only recently started flying in the game. Is it a can't live without it tool once you have it?

usaf77,

I can already see this is different than aces high. Strictly business in-game (although the all country channel can get off topic at times;) ).

Just curious how all of you deal with the mini map in flight. It always seems to be in my way. Can it be put on a hot key, or made more transparent?

I've looked at trackir before but only recently started flying in the game. Is it a can't live without it tool once you have it??

Yes, it is a can't live without "tool" once you get used to it. (some people get motion sickness from it at first) You will never go back to a hat switch once you get accustomed to it - for flying anyway. I'm sure the ultra wide screen with multiple monitors is a can't do without "tool" as well. I wish I had the cash to find out!!!! LOL You'll also find out that a lot of guys that fly in pairs or in squads use TS (Team Speak). It is an absolute esential "tool" for flying with a wingman or a squad if your goal is to RTB more often than getting a KIA. I'm a lonewolf but I sometimes hop on a squad channel if I'm flying around those guys. I usually just keep quiet so I don't get in there way and give them "xxx on 6" or "clear" info as needed and they usually give me check 6 warnings in return. Not one person/squad I ever dropped in on TS with has ever given me any crap. Everyone believes in the teamwork aspect of the game no matter how little your input. Heck, I even drop in on the groundpounders channel when I'm doing CAS and give them info on advancing enemy or armour placements. They love it!

Yeah, It's pretty serious in game, but all you have to understand is that people take pride in their abilities because it takes skill and teamwork to RTB with kills as apposed to KIA in this "game." Mostly it's serious FUN though!

Just curious how all of you deal with the mini map in flight. It always seems to be in my way. Can it be put on a hot key' date=' or made more transparent?[/quote']

I usually Ctrl Alt Del to get my mouse cursor up (only way I know how lol) then drag the minimap down lower on my screen. I can't remember if there is a keymap to it or not but it sure needs one. Also not sure if there is a transparent setting in the settings area. Maybe try and adjust the transparency to the game map and see if it effects the minimap as well. If there isn't any of these options the RATS should consider adding them, especially to toggle on and off in keymap - again it may be in there already I'm not at my home computer right now.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0