Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mm20luv

New build look OK?

23 posts in this topic

Ok so am putting together a system and here are some components I am thinking about. Give me your opinions. Is the 5770 the card to get or should I go with a 58XX card? How much will it help?

Also, the game does not benefit from crossfire right? I don't play other games only this one so....no need for it right? Any other suggestions. Power supply enough ooomph?

Also I don't overclock so will I need additional cooling?

1 Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

1 ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard 359Jun24Jul3110cd12us.pdf>

1 Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 Modular Active PFC Power Supply

1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

1 Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KHX1333C7D3K3/6GX

1 ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770 CuCore/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card <

1 Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Is the 5770 the card to get or should I go with a 58XX card?

It will depend of what monitor you will use. Iam using native HD resolution (1920x1080) with 4850 whish is predictor of 5770 and i have not any problems. This game is more CPU bound and there you are on the safe side :)

What did you say about using 2 video card in Crossfire?

Have I been living a lie; thinking my 2 Powercolor 4850 512mb

video cards are actually being recognized in this game?

I guess what your saying is it isn't supported so I'd be better off

running 1 5870 1G card instead of 1 4850 512mb card.

Edited by Jimato

Hummm not sure on the psu, I went with a 850W myself though 700w prolly enough.

Might consider this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

40 buck, quiet cpu cooler that will let you OC some should you get the urge.

I've got my i7 920 running @ 3.4ghz with one and no probs with temps, runs around 60c running the game.

Actualy @ 4.3ghz it was under 80c running the game, 80c is where the 920 starts throttling back so that was razors edge....But I had to see what the top was ;)

What did you say about using 2 video card in Crossfire?

Have I been living a lie; thinking my 2 Powercolor 4850 512mb

video cards are actually being recognized in this game?

I guess what your saying is it isn't supported so I'd be better off

running 1 5870 1G card instead of 1 4850 512mb card.

Best as I know neither crossfire or sli are supported currently.

No, neither crossfire or sli is supported. No word if it ever will be either.

The 5770 works very well in this game. I had one before and honestly I didn't see that much improvement going to the 5870. Some but not enough to justify the extra cost.

However, I play other games that rely more on the gfx card so for me it was the logical choise.

If you play other games as well you might consider getting two 5770's instead of a 5870. Cheaper and performs almost as well in those games that do support crossfire.

I second the bigger PSU suggestion. 550W might be enough for now but if you add something more it won't.

5770s is what i have and i highly recommend it, its probably the best sub 200$ card out there.

its also a really low power consumption card.

I'd probably like the others have suggested shoot for a 600W 650W psu

i use a 600W enermax with 44A on the 12V rail.

5770 might not provide the higher end fps like a 5800 series would, but i mean when your already getting 100fps in the fields, whats another 20? and i've really yet to see my fps dip below 30 on max player limit.

i'd really consider getting a dank cpu cooler like a CoolIT eco or Corsair H50 though. those seem to be the route to take for a cpu cooler these days and are hard to beat for the price (around 70~80 bucks)

you might save some cash and go with a 920 instead of a 930. they are the exact same processor and you can just overclock it to 930 specs or above with litterely the change of a single setting and save some cash at the same time allowing you to get some premium memory or a even nicer mainboard or psu.

might go with DDR3-1660 for a i7 set up. those intels like the fast a@# memory

Edited by indo420

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll go ahead and change the psu to a 650 watt and I will add the CPU cooler.

I did look for the 920 processor but when I did newegg said out of stock. I will check again at time of order. I will also pick up some faster ram.

Oh and what would be a better main board? This is where I had the most trouble deciding...

Hopefully I will see you all in game soon!

Edited by mm20luv

Honestly I would say go for an Nvidia GTX 260 over the 5770. I have tried the 260, the 5850, and now I have a 470. IMO this game runs a lot better on Nvidia cards. Take a look at these benchmarks... http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446-7.html

The 260 beats the 5770 in most tests. My brother is using my old 260 and it runs this game beautifully.

Edited by vecchio

Vecchio-

You guys are in Troy? Tell your brother I am in Ann Arbor. Bring that 260 over and let me try it! ;)

I have heard the the game does better with nvidia cards and that's what I went with years ago ....but is this still true? Are there still driver issues with the ATI cards?

Yeah I'm in Troy and so is my bro :) Small world. I made the switch to ATI a cpl months ago when I bought a Sapphire 5850 Toxic. At the same time I built my bro a computer with the GTX 260 I was replacing. When I had both boxes next to each other the GTX 260 was beating my 5850. He was using a 955 Phenom and I had a 965 Phenom. We both had Ripjaw RAM, and I have a Crosshair III while he has a MSI MB. Now I know the 5850 is a sweet card but it seems this game just likes Nvidia. If you are building a box to play this game mainly I would highly recommend an Nvida card. I returned my 5850 and got the GTX 470 and I killed the GTX 260. Just some food for thought I guess.

P.S. My 5850 was also giving me problems playing back videos. It was odd.

Edited by vecchio

Yeah I'm in Troy and so is my bro :) Small world. I made the switch to ATI a cpl months ago when I bought a Sapphire 5850 Toxic. At the same time I built my bro a computer with the GTX 260 I was replacing. When I had both boxes next to each other the GTX 260 was beating my 5850. He was using a 955 Phenom and I had a 965 Phenom. We both had Ripjaw RAM, and I have a Crosshair III while he has a MSI MB. Now I know the 5850 is a sweet card but it seems this game just likes Nvidia. If you are building a box to play this game mainly I would highly recommend an Nvida card. I returned my 5850 and got the GTX 470 and I killed the GTX 260. Just some food for thought I guess.

That is true, bud420 has a GTX260 paired with a i7 920 /Ballistix DDR3-1600

2ef5cbb.jpg

now im not sure if its the i7 or what but he gets about 6fps more then me when were standing next to each other.

I'm on a Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.7Ghz / Ati 5770 (overclocked to 950/1225) RiPJAW DDR3-1600

dscf5328.jpg

But that being said, i systematically hand him his arse on other games in performance.

He'll get 31fps on just cause 2 while i'll get 46, Dirt2 i can crank everything to max and still pull off 40, while he'll need to lower some settings to get the same result. plus its Direct X 11. dunno if you've played a game with tesselation and ray tracing among other things.. but its pretty sweet.

GTX260 is also a power hungry s.o.b but it'll run fine on a 650W power supply.

So like vecchio said. if ww2ol is your main lady i might go with nvidia, but if you play other games to then i might swing towards the dark side and get the ATi card. they both do well on ww2ol though.

Driver issues are long long gone on Ati cards. they've actually got a really sweet control panel with a crap load of options. even a built in overclocking menu, that'll find the best overclock for your particular card.

I guess it really boils down to blue pill or red pill.

Which suggests that it was faulty and should have been RMA'd. That's what I said before, you had a card that didn't work and still you judge all ATI based cards out of that.

So many others like myself have no problems at all with them, my previous 5770 handled the game very well, as does my 5870. I just don't quite like that you jump in and say this based on one bad experience with a card that was most likely not in working order.

I know very well that historically nvidia cards have worked better with opengl based games but this advantage have become less and less throughout the years. It's not sound advice to give it out of old news.

2ef5cbb.jpg

dscf5328.jpg

I guess it really boils down to blue pill or red pill.

Some sweet looking boxes there indo. I only play wwiionline. Nothing else. No time for anything else. Maybe I will consider the nvidia 260

I didn't just base the card on that one performance. I did a 3dmark benchmark and it got 15,000 on performance setting which is comparable to what I should have been getting. I played a couple other games and it performed great. If you read what I wrote I said that if you are getting something for this game and this game ALONE you might look at Nvidia.

I said "Now I know the 5850 is a sweet card but it seems this game just likes Nvidia."

Munchkin says "You had a card that didn't work and still you judge all ATI based cards out of that. "

???

Edited by vecchio

I didn't just base the card on that one performance. I did a 3dmark benchmark and it got 15,000 on performance setting which is comparable to what I should have been getting. I played a couple other games and it performed great. If you read what I wrote I said that if you are getting something for this game and this game ALONE you might look at Nvidia.

I said "Now I know the 5850 is a sweet card but it seems this game just likes Nvidia."

Munchkin says "You had a card that didn't work and still you judge all ATI based cards out of that. "

???

Not wanting to sound harsh, I just react to how you phrase things. That you jump in everywhere and say don't get ATI cards, get nvidia instead. It sounds a bit in your posts that you trash ATI cards for this game just based on your experience. I'm just saying that there are many others that have experienced differently, that they work just fine. Personally I don't care what people chose as long as they're happy with what they got for their money, I just don't want people to be scared away from getting something that would work just great for them, based on one bad experience.

I recall you said your 3DMark score was much lower than that in the beginning, and the fact that you had problems with video. That did suggest that something wasn't right. If your bad video experience came from using VLC as an example, then it would fit very well with bad performance in this game but good in others that use directx. VLC uses OpenGL for it's overlay by default, as does BGE. There could be a BIOS problem that causes OGL issues or something else. Who knows! Just saying that it still sounds like something wasn't working as it should!

I'm not trying to start a war here! :)

Edited by munchkin

???

Whew i'm pumpin 17,384 on 3dmark 06 on my 5770, and you got 15k on a 5850? sure you had the correct drivers installed for that ATi card? should of been getting closer to 20,000 on a 5800 series

Wow that red case is sweet. What model is that and how much does it run?

Asus Vento 3600 BL. about 400$ these days

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250655603388&Category=80166&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2#ht_1480wt_1137

Black color was a limited production run so they are rare as s@#t, can find the blue and green one still for about 250~300, only computer part i've ever bought thats went up in price since i've bought it hahahha.

F0rFAR06zik

Edited by indo420

I think he ment Vantage scores.

I hit about 11k with Vantage on my 5770 and I get about 17.5k with my 5870

My 06 scores was about 18k for the 5770 and a little under 22k with the 5870

I think he ment Vantage scores.

I hit about 11k with Vantage on my 5770 and I get about 17.5k with my 5870

My 06 scores was about 18k for the 5770 and a little under 22k with the 5870

okay was about to say lol

I'm sure i'd pop 18k if i got a new cooler for my cpu and brought the clock speed up some more.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0