Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chieftom

Processor at 100%

17 posts in this topic

So, I have an E8500 dual core 3.16 ghz and when I am in the game it is running at 100% on both cores most of the time.

My frame rates are acceptable and very rarely drop below 20 fps. I have vertical sync lock on so the upper end is limited to 60 fps.

My question is what part of the game is primarily affected by a processor bottleneck?

If I were to upgrade to a Q9550 quad core 2.83 ghz what effect would that have on my game play?

I am looking at spending $278 to Q9550 vs. $685 to go to a i7 930 which requires an new MB and Memory. My concern is what effect will the additional processor power have on game play?

According to the Passmark CPU http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ test charts going to the Q9550 will increase my cpu score 1.81 times and going to the i7 930 would take it to 2.4 times.

However.... the real question is will it make any real difference in game play?

No matter what I decide about the processor, I will be upgrading my video card in the near future.

I'm running an E5300 dual core and I don't get to 100%

I wonder if something is wrong with your core usage indicator or maybe something running in the background is causing them to hit 100%.

For me an 8500 would be a huge upgrade but I don't need it yet.

I had loads of problems with W7 and CPU at 100%.

This below solved the problem for me -

Memory/Disk hogging problems? This really works. If you don't care about sharing your media with networks, then this is a simple and effective fix before Microsoft figures it out. It disables the culprit WMPNETWK.EXE file that runs the Windows MediaPlayer Network Sharing Service (WMNSS) routine. Simply do this:

1. Select START (bottom left)

2. Type RUN > enter

3. Type services.msc > OK

4. Expand the NAME column, then scroll down to : Windows MediaPlayer Network Sharing Service

5. Right click on that line, select STOP and wait for progress bar to end

6. Right click again on same line, select PROPERTIES

7. Change Startup Type from AUTOMATIC, to DISABLED

8. Hit APPLY then OK

This works--no more high system usage from this needless routine unless reactivated by reverting back to AUTOMATIC, then selecting START on previous screen. A happy ending to the most frustrating WIN7 problem I've had.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/b5c79a15-781b-455a-9003-6d305695fce0

The INTEL 9550 and the AMD 965 score almost equal benchmarks yet the 965 is $100 bucks cheaper. Get the 965.

Scroll down to 4,345 points

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I will look at the AMDs but understand that the reduced cost for the CPU will be offset by the cost of a new Motherboard. If I have to replace the memory also than we are talking $500 to $600.

I just wanted to comment on this one.

I have intel q6600 quad core running @3Gzh with a geforce gtx470 And for the most part I get good frame rate except in the real heavy battles then its like 12-15.

But if I over clock my q6600 even more to 3.6GZh My pc keeps 35-45 fps in even heavy battles.

IMO I really starting to think the best cpu for this game is the one that can give you the best possible GZH not how many cores you have, I really think you only need 2 cores but the Higher/faster Cpu you can get the better this game will run.

I have intel q6600 quad core running @3Gzh with a geforce gtx470 And for the most part I get good frame rate except in the real heavy battles then its like 12-15.

But if I over clock my q6600 even more to 3.6GZh My pc keeps 35-45 fps in even heavy battles.

IMO I really starting to think the best cpu for this game is the one that can give you the best possible GZH not how many cores you have, I really think you only need 2 cores but the Higher/faster Cpu you can get the better this game will run.

Thanks for you input Sir!

The sweet spot for this game is 3 cores running as fast as you can get them

The reason for 3 is 1 to run the bulk of BE only (this core should be maxed out in theory), the second to run the parallel processes of BE only (only a few, may or may not max the core out depending on CPU tech), and the 3rd to run everything else.

Since the game doesn't use multiple cores, it just barely uses two where only a few routines uses the second while most still use the first. Hence, a quad core won't do much better than a dual core unless it's much faster core vs. core.

So, what you need to do is get a comparison that shows how much faster 1 core in one of those newer cpu's are compared to 1 core in yours.

It's not that easy as just having a higher clock rate. It helps but there are so many other things that makes the newer cpu's faster. A 3GHz cpu from today is MUCH faster than a 3GHz cpu from 2 years ago. Core vs. core. Bigger caches makes them perform better, better memory handling, smaller design (a 45nm cpu is much more efficient than a 65nm in every way) and so on. There are more things as well.

So, getting a new cpu isn't always a guarantee that it will improve things. In most games and apps today a move from a dual core to a quad core means better performance. Sadly enough that isn't always true with this game since it only uses one core with some minor use of a second. Hence, moving from a dual to a quad of the same generation with the same clock and cache sizes won't improve a darn thing.

I have no idea how much you know and if you dare to venture into overclocking but I understand that those E8500's overclock very easily and a lot as well so if you have a good cooler for it you might wanna try that. That's the cheapest upgrade since won't cost you a thing!

I think you are correct. My old wimpy E5300 is overclocked to 3.3Ghz and could be pushed further if needed but so far it's doing fine.

I think you are correct. My old wimpy E5300 is overclocked to 3.3Ghz and could be pushed further if needed but so far it's doing fine.

When I had my little E2160 Over clocked to 3GZ from 1.8gzh the FPS between it and my my quad core at 3gzh was about 10-15 fps, And I think that was do to a cheap MB I was using on the E2160.

The Magic number for speed for this game IMO is about 3.4Gzh

Since the game doesn't use multiple cores, it just barely uses two where only a few routines uses the second while most still use the first. Hence, a quad core won't do much better than a dual core unless it's much faster core vs. core.

So, what you need to do is get a comparison that shows how much faster 1 core in one of those newer cpu's are compared to 1 core in yours.

It's not that easy as just having a higher clock rate. It helps but there are so many other things that makes the newer cpu's faster. A 3GHz cpu from today is MUCH faster than a 3GHz cpu from 2 years ago. Core vs. core. Bigger caches makes them perform better, better memory handling, smaller design (a 45nm cpu is much more efficient than a 65nm in every way) and so on. There are more things as well.

So, getting a new cpu isn't always a guarantee that it will improve things. In most games and apps today a move from a dual core to a quad core means better performance. Sadly enough that isn't always true with this game since it only uses one core with some minor use of a second. Hence, moving from a dual to a quad of the same generation with the same clock and cache sizes won't improve a darn thing.

I have no idea how much you know and if you dare to venture into overclocking but I understand that those E8500's overclock very easily and a lot as well so if you have a good cooler for it you might wanna try that. That's the cheapest upgrade since won't cost you a thing!

I turned off the Windows MediaPlayer Network Sharing Service and got the to run at between 75% and 85% in Heavy battle areas. I am starting to believe that as long as I am not maxing out the CPU that I have nothing to gain by upgrading.

So here is a question, If I overclock it, will I see the CPU utilization % drop?

The logic is not clear to me on this question. If the CPU is not maxing out now that means that all the instructions the game needs to execute are being completed. So upping the clock speed only makes them get done faster.

I have a stock intel heatsink now. Might be worth investing $40 in an a Cool Master Hyper 212 Plus just so see what happens. I have read where people have gotten the E8500 3.16 ghz to 3.8 ghz. That should be enough to see how it will affect everything.

munchkin, I know alot about computers. I build all my own rigs. But some of this stuff is not straight forward as you noted and I was hoping the RATS might chime in with some insight on my situation.

Thank You everyone for the input.

BTW, I went on a run with my brother tonight, both in pannys. He has a i7 930 and he was running at 13% when I was at 80%. However, from his discription, the game play on our two michines looked the same. I would love to see our two systems side by side to see if there is any real diferance, bro is in Germany and I am in Cali so that aint happening anytime soon.

Edited by chieftom

Chief, I have an 8500 running at 3.9ghtz.

It uses one core at 100%, the other at around 30%.

and thats at 5040 x 1050 res.

Edited by kamel

I turned off the Windows MediaPlayer Network Sharing Service and got the to run at between 75% and 85% in Heavy battle areas. I am starting to believe that as long as I am not maxing out the CPU that I have nothing to gain by upgrading.

So here is a question, If I overclock it, will I see the CPU utilization % drop?

The logic is not clear to me on this question. If the CPU is not maxing out now that means that all the instructions the game needs to execute are being completed. So upping the clock speed only makes them get done faster.

I have a stock intel heatsink now. Might be worth investing $40 in an a Cool Master Hyper 212 Plus just so see what happens. I have read where people have gotten the E8500 3.16 ghz to 3.8 ghz. That should be enough to see how it will affect everything.

munchkin, I know alot about computers. I build all my own rigs. But some of this stuff is not straight forward as you noted and I was hoping the RATS might chime in with some insight on my situation.

Thank You everyone for the input.

BTW, I went on a run with my brother tonight, both in pannys. He has a i7 930 and he was running at 13% when I was at 80%. However, from his discription, the game play on our two michines looked the same. I would love to see our two systems side by side to see if there is any real diferance, bro is in Germany and I am in Cali so that aint happening anytime soon.

Well, that's not quite how it works I'm afraid. Going from a 70% usage to a 100% usage won't change the game performance, it only shows how much of the CPU is used. Actually, if it goes up to 100% it means it is held back, it's doing everything it can and if anything the performance will drop.

A new and faster CPU will probably not show any less CPU usage when you're gaming but still give you a lot higher performance. The fact that a quad core shows less usage is not strange since it has twice as many cores. System usage will only show 25% when one core only is used. This is due to the fact that there's the same amount of instructions using the power in the cpu, hence it will show the same usage but everything will be faster because it's a faster CPU.

It's not quite that simple either but it's an accurate enough generalisation.

So, I have an E8500 dual core 3.16 ghz and when I am in the game it is running at 100% on both cores most of the time.

My frame rates are acceptable and very rarely drop below 20 fps. I have vertical sync lock on so the upper end is limited to 60 fps.

My question is what part of the game is primarily affected by a processor bottleneck?

If I were to upgrade to a Q9550 quad core 2.83 ghz what effect would that have on my game play?

I am looking at spending $278 to Q9550 vs. $685 to go to a i7 930 which requires an new MB and Memory. My concern is what effect will the additional processor power have on game play?

According to the Passmark CPU http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ test charts going to the Q9550 will increase my cpu score 1.81 times and going to the i7 930 would take it to 2.4 times.

However.... the real question is will it make any real difference in game play?

No matter what I decide about the processor, I will be upgrading my video card in the near future.

BE cannot fill 100% of both cores. Have look in to the task manager, sort process by cpu usage and see whats causing this huge load ...

Since I overclocked my Intel Dual Core 2.4ghz to 3.0ghz from BIOS, set fan to high, opened my panel, cpu temperature alarm to ON and set Halt enabled, my game is running smoother and my CPU rarely hits 100% anymore.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0