• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pictboy3

new computer

20 posts in this topic

Dammit just did big reply and hit a keyboard command that brought up Firefox top sites and lost my post - WTF !!

Anyway. short version.

Is that your max budget. Improvements can be made. (small but improvements)

Graphics card - can get 5770OC for less money. It uses less power also I believe. Slight better texture and pixel fill.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131327&cm_re=5770-_-14-131-327-_-Product

Keyboard - You spend mroe money on mouse mat a $7 on keyboard. A half decent USB keyboard easier to work with and better for typing and playing. Might find one thats better on the wrists also.

PSU - Might want a better one with different amps on rails - The AMD experts here will tell you. I'd normally go a bit higher in spec and Watts.

Hard drive, a 1TB WD Black, 7200 with 64MB cache sata 3 is $94. If budget really tight the 500GB Blue is fine, same RPM less cache.

It's a decent enough system but worth tweeking and looking around.

power supply is junk.

+12V1@16A, +12V2@17A

for a 500W power supply 16/17A is terrible... its horrendous. a quality 400W power supply could deliver that amperage. probably a 325W E80+ GOLD can deliver those same amps across the +12v rail. the 5+ and 3.3+ also have terrible amperages.

as a example this top of the line enermax 400W power supply delivers

+12V1@22A, +12V2@22A

44A with 100W less consumption

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194075

Bascially that Xclio just pisses away electricity in the form of heat, which will probably lead to a early failure and unstable voltages, that'll kill your components fast.

Power supply is the most critical part in your computer, you should probably spend as much on the power supply as you do the video card.

I'd probably swing for at least a E80 certified power supply. really you want a E80+ GOLD standard power supply, or a silver even a bronze or standard E80+ for the most stable computer and the best reliability.

That Xclio didn't meet the E80 standard at all. it's less then 70% efficient.

pic5ed.jpg

dscf5325t.jpg

My Enermax 600W is E80+ platnium certified, it's been going since 2004 and has powered four complete sets of computer parts. it'll probably still be running into the next decade. 15 years out of a power supply is a good deal and you save cash in the long run since you don't need to continually purchase crap power supplies over and over again, Just buy one damn good power supply and use it over and over again.

Powering a 125W X4 955 BE/ 4GB of memory/ Ati 5770 with out so much as a hiccup. the voltages are still the exact same as the day it was pulled out of the box (12.03v,5.05,3.33,1.67).... that is undeniable quality right there.

Edited by indo420

I'm building a new desktop to, among other things, get back into the game post 1.31. But this is my first time doing it and I need to know if I'm doing anything wrong with this setup that's glaringly obvious to everyone but a nub like me.

Here's the full list:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=18190927

AMD+ATI=frustration for this game IMO.

And yeah the PSU is junk get a corsair PSU

AMD+ATI=frustration for this game IMO.

You have no idea what you're talking about, that's obvious.

Those components should work well and play the game excellent.

The PSU have already been mentioned, that needs to be changed, but I'd suggest a change with memory as well.

1333 and only 9-9-9-24 is no good in my opinion. If you want G.Skill and only 1333 then I'd suggest these instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276

They are a few $ more but the lower latency will make a big difference.

You have no idea what you're talking about, that's obvious.

Those components should work well and play the game excellent.

The PSU have already been mentioned, that needs to be changed, but I'd suggest a change with memory as well.

1333 and only 9-9-9-24 is no good in my opinion. If you want G.Skill and only 1333 then I'd suggest these instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276

They are a few $ more but the lower latency will make a big difference.

Yea i fly through ww2ol on my X4 955/ HD 5770

Sometimes i dump on bud420 with his i7-920 /GTX260 :P

I've got my G-skill at 8-8-8-24 (supposed to be 9's @ 1600)

Edited by indo420

Unfortunately budget is a big issue for me' date=' and I'm already near my max. I changed out the video card for this [url']http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125317 but what you all are telling me about the PSU is a little worrisome. How dangerous is it? Am I risking frying all my components or is it only a problem if I want to OC?

well it could go either way, it may never give you problems or it might just go out in a smoke and spark hail of fury taking all your components with it.

I'd chop the graphics card down to a 5770 and spend more on the power supply and get a good brand like Corsair, Enermax or SeaSonic.

It'd be a problem with or without overclocking, but with oc'n you want the most stable voltages you can get, but at the same time stable voltages mean a stable system. and the more energy efficient it is the less heat is produced and the cheaper your electric bill will be. so a efficient PSU would probably pay for itself over a period of time anyways.

Yeah look at my thread above. I've put one link in for an OC 5770 for under $120 or whatever it was. That saves enough to buy a decent PSU.

Because I forgot about this thread before I ordered the stuff (yes I know it was dumb), I think I might just have to make do for now, and try and get a refund on the PSU from newegg before the 30 day period is up, and hopefully buy something better.

All the major components have outside warranties anyway, so if the system fries, I'll at least be able to get it replaced (I think). Besides I doubt it will fry in 30 days.

As said before I would look at a better PSU. Everything you use is powered by that PSU, and you want something that is going to be stable and ample. I recently did a build for my brother using that same MB. What is cool about it is that it has a core unlocker. He bought the Phenom II 555 3.2 GHz x2 processor, I used the unlocker, and presto he has a quad core at 3.2 GHz. The cool thing is Newegg has a combo deal with the 555 and that MSI MB where you save $20-30. Also, I can tell you that I bought this memory to go with the board and it has worked flawlessly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

I also suggest buying a little bit better of a case. IMO the case is the backbone of any system. You want something with good air flow, and that will last a while. The Antec 300 is a good case, and it is relatively cheap. It comes with 4 fans, so you can ditch the case fan you have listed. When it comes to putting together a build, an extra $50-100 can make the difference between getting a machine that will just be OK, and a machine that you will love. I know that is easier said than done, but if you do have the means, it is a worthwhile investment. You will hear a bunch of different opinions about the ATI 5830, and ATI cards altogether. You can look all over and see all kinds of benchmarks, and determine that the 5000 series is awesome. I have no doubt that it is a great series, but I have noticed that this game really does better with Nvidia. If you are making this build JUST TO PLAY WWII Online, I would say go with a GTX 260, but if you want a box for multiple games than the 5000 series is definitely nice. I also assume you have a monitor? The monitor is my favorite part of gaming. You can have a sweet rig, with a $500 vid card, and top of the line processor, and if you are using an old monitor it ruins everything. Just some food for thought.

Ah well after a little reading I see you ordered already. Don't worry about it, that machine will run the game fine. Juts keep in mind that even those with top of the line machines can chug in huge battles.

Pict that corsair will do just fine for you. Never skimp on PSU but for different reason then everyone is saying.

Cheap PSU:

1. Usually very loud.

2. First 2 you order are DOA

3. The third one dies within 6 months

4. They degrade (efficiency gets lower) much quicker.

5. They can cause your system to be very unstable even when in theory you should have plenty enough watts&amps

Dont buy into the watts hype though. My Akasa 400W when it was 3 years old already could power my system with ease although the minimum for my graphic card was supposedly 450W. I switched to Corsair HX 750W just for the piece of mind and modularity.

See you Sunday 18th July anyway! S!

Edited by elegance

keep your 5830 card, don't go for 5770 OC

even it's OC, the GPU for 5770 only has 128-bit memory interface, but 5830 has 256-bit, and that's huge difference

if I remember correctly, 5830 has more stream processor units which is good

just get a better PSU

I am not expert for AMD cpus, so can't help you

I see no problem with the 5770. I've played with one myself and it worked just fine. The improvement moving from that to a 5870 was not huge with this game so a 5770 is enough if it's paired with a fast enough CPU. As a budget alternative there is no better. It's the best bang you can get for your money when it comes to price vs performance, all type of cards counted.

The 128 vs. 256 bit has no real bearing to be honest. Tests have shown this before. The difference is small. There was a lot of talk about that a few years ago but today hardly anyone mentions it anymore since it's been proved not that important.

As stated before, the CPU is good and it's a black edition so it's easy to overclock if it's paired with a good cooler.

I just built this one. Gave up some on the vid card but BE should be fine with it and that's the only game I play. It's not AMD but near your price range. I wanted to try the rosewill case for the fan filters, but I still prefer the antec 300, for the same price it has better build quality. I already have win7 and the hard drive.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/TemporaryWishList.aspx?BundleExist=N&ChangeQty=0

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0