Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hardcase

Need some Info on memory speed and my 780i mobo

3 posts in this topic

I have run the QFSB to 1600.....4x400 on each FSB and selected Linked for the mememory which is 800DDR so it standard at 400mhz and bothe memory and FSB should both be at 400mhz. But at boot screen my memory is showing at 969mhz and Ihave double checked the BIOS settings. I think this is the cause of my occassional lockups. Will lthe 789i all unlinke and specific setting of 800mhz since that is what it would see even tho we all know it is running up and down latchced at 400hz.

no glasses on and too lazy to correct the typing .bear with me:-)

Edited by hardcase

I'm sorry but I am having a hard time understanding this. I think you are saying that you have raised your FSB, which is linked to your memory, which raised the speed of the RAM causing your system to be unstable?

Edited by vecchio

THe 780i is standard at 1333mhz..but that is divided by 4 because the makers have 4 fsb, so the FSB non OC is set for 333mhz X 4. the 1333 value is called the QFSB. This gave at speed of 3.0Ghz. I raised the QFSB to 1600 which divided by 4 gives a FSB of 400mhz and a speed of 3.6ghz. THe bios allows you to link the speed of the FSB with your memory. My memory is 800DDR2, which you are susppose to think runs at 800mhz but in fact. because it is Double Data Rate, this means that it is runnning at it stantqnd value of 400mhz but lathching data on the up swing and down swing if one single cycle. So when the fsb went to 400mhz and I linked the memory for some time all was runnning at 400hz, but now the memory at boot shows it running at 969mhz which is fast for the ddr2 800mh. I dont know why this happened. It may be related to a 280 vidcard I addded by shouldn't since the SLI slot values were never changed. I hope this make more sense.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0