Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aceman8

Comp Build Help

18 posts in this topic

So here's something I gathered from TigerDirect for a new rig to play this game at least through the next major patch...

Asus P7P55 Deluxe Motherboard - LGA1156, Intel P55, ATX, Dual-Channel DDR3, Intel DMI, SLI, CrossFireX

Price: $149.99*

Corsair XMS3 TW3X4G1333C9AG 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM - - PC10666, 1333MHz, 4096MB (2x 2048MB), 240 Pin, Dual-Channel

Price: $74.99* X2

Cooler Master HAF 922M ATX Black Mid-Tower Case - 5 External 5.25" Drive Bays, 5 Internal 3.5" Drive Bays, 2 200mm Fans, 1 120mm Fan

Price: $89.99

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI Sound Card

Price: $89.99

Diamond Radeon HD 5850 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, Dual DVI, Display Port, HDMI

Price: $319.99

Intel Core i7 860 Processor BX80605I7860 - 2.80GHz, LGA 1156, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, Lynnfield, Retail

Price: $289.99

LG GH22NS50R DVDRW Drive - DVD+R 22X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD-RAM12X, CD-R 48X, CD-RW 32X, SATA

Price: $24.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD, English

Price: $99.99

Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200 RPM, 32MB, SATA-300

Price: $94.99

Ultra X4 750-Watt Modular Power Supply - 135mm Fan, ATX, Lifetime Warranty, 80+ Bronze, NVIDIA SLI & ATI Crossfire Certifications.

Price: $119.99

Total: $1,500.00 + $50 or so in rebates

Any suggestions? Missing anything or should I change anything?

I just look at the MB on tiger direct, and sound card on some site.

The rest I only look at your description.

I think it should be fine, and it should be much better than your integrated video cards in you old system.

Although sound card is not best, but I think it should still relief some load from the CPU.

Sound card wise look at something other than creative (e.g. asus xonar) 2 of my creative cards really didn't like this game + win7.

since youre buying all new why 1156 socket and not 1366?

i would use these instead

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core 289.99 (same price)

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard 199 (10 bucks more)

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ 134.99 (40 bucks more ish)

with those you get a lot more memory bandwidth since you can run triple channel vs the dual channel of the 1156 sockets. its a little more expensive but you'll get more life out of it.

however if you went with a nvidia 460gtx instead of the 5850 you would save about a 50 to 100 dollars thus making the more expensive purchase of the 1366 platform come out to less or even money. the performance difference between those two cards is minimal and should you decide to use a dual gpu setup the 460gtx soundly trounce anything ati can do. dual 460s perform as well as dual 5870s.

also consider using a pcie sound card. pci is set to be retired with intels next platform upgrade. just a thought.

Thanks a million! Hopefully I'll have a new rig and be back in game before 1.33!;)

I'd seriously look at the Core i7 LGA 1366 package and a set of Triple channel DDR3-1600 instead of two sticks of DDR3-1333

For $1500 you could get one hell of a machine. Are building the computer for this game alone? Let me know and I can put together a build for you that might be cheaper and would work well here.

P.S. Never count on rebates. They don't always come through.

Vecc,

This game is the primary reason for the new build - of course basic computing to keep the wife happy (word processing, blah, blah, blah). But as for gaming performance - it's this WOPR-only game. I've never put my own computer together before (I did play with Legos and Lincoln Logs when I was a kid - how much different can it be?) so any assistance would be appreciated!

PS - Currently on active duty in Great Lakes, IL...just in case someone nearby can help with the build!

Edited by aceman8

Aceman,

Sorry I lost this thread. Give me a few and I will put something together. Also, is there anything you already have that you can keep? For instance a monitor, OS, DvD drive, Case, or PSU?

It all depends on how much you have to spend, what you already have, and what you expect. I can put together a computer for far less than $1500 that will run this game great, but won't have some of the bells and whistles, and would be a bit less future proof.

I would love all that but I still don't understand why this game takes so much to run. I bought a new rig 6 months ago and it doesn't even come close to run this. This is a good thread i hope they keep it up for awhile so people know what the REAL requirements are needed to play cause i would of never bought my PC. If I can a build a rig between 1000 -1500 or buy 1 of kijiji I would be happy and thnx for the help lately guys

I built a pc about 3-4 months ago, added a few extra pieces over the last month or so, and it does great. It doesn't dip below 30 FPS anymore. I honestly believe the reason this game requires so much to run is because it doesn't take advantage of anything that would help. It doesn't take advantage of quad cores, it doesn't use PhysX by Nvidia, it can't use Crossfire or SLI setups, and the staff at CRS is undermanned to try and incorporate all of these things while still adding new features and fixing old bugs. I find it amazing that the lean bug is still around. What first person shooter is there where lean isn't a major part of the game? If this game could fully utilize multi-core processors, if it took advantage of multiple GPU setups, and if it could use some of the features that Nvidia brings to the table, you wouldn't need a top of the line computer to get playable FPS in large battles. For example, I have a Phenom II 965 quad OC'd to 3.8 GHz, 4 GB's of Ripjaw ram at 1600, a crosshair III MB, and a GTX 470. With that setup, I am just barely at the level required to run this game with good fps in any situation at 1920 x 1200 resolution. You should not have to have that kind of setup to get those results.

PhysX is crap. It's old and complicated which is why so few games support it. If physics is going to be incorporated into the game it's much better to go with the OpenCL route, it's more modern, more effective and everyone can take advantage of it.

Lots of great advice, guys - keep in mind I'm not too hip on all this computer lingo, so be patient with me.

I'd like to keep the cost at $1500 or less; I can cannibalize my XPS 600 (which was my original intent) to get the case, monitor, cd-rom drive, usb port thingies, etc.

A lot of people that have ATI cards buy an older Nvidia card just for PhysX. Anyways, your going to want a DvD drive at least, and they only cost 20 bucks or so. What case do you have? IMO a good case is like a good foundation to a house. You want something that has good airflow, and isn't flimsy. It also has to be the right form factor for your MB, and fit the size of some of the newer graphics cards that are quite frankly huge. If I were you, I would spend the extra $80 which would get you a new case and DvD burner. If your monitor is good you definitely save some dough though. If you already have your OS you are going to save $100 as well. SO the last question is what OS do you have, and if it is XP, do you want to stay with XP or move to windows 7?

5850 is a nice card indeed, but 5770 is enogh for this game and uses less power.

Think 750W is too much PSU, 550W will be good enogh, I would even go up to a Silver or Gold PSU, cost more, but a good PSU can always be saved.

My next rig will have low power as Prio1 and performance as no2.

Processor speed is more important then cores in this game.

/K

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0