Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tominata

Video Card Question

17 posts in this topic

As been said many times before, it doesn't matter if you get the most expensive card of either type, nvidia or ati, performance will still depend mostly on what CPU you have, A killer gfx card won't do much, if any at all, if you have an old and tired cpu.

Other than that it's a matter of taste. The best nvidia can offer right now is the 480 and the best ATI can offer is the 5870. There are "better" dual GPU cards out there but since this game only uses one no matter what those are the best choises for BGE.

If this is the only game you play my suggestion is to spend a bit more on the fastest possible CPU and get a cheaper gfx card, something like a 460 from nvidia or a 5770 from ati. If you won't ever need DX11 then you can go cheaper still and get a top of the line card from the previous generation for less money.

My feelings exactly. As far as intel, the I7 920 is probably the best performance wise without breaking the bank. The AMD Phenom II 965 can be overclocked a bit and do very well also, without costing as much money. Like Munchkin said, the 460 or 5770 will do fine, but your CPU will be most important.

That's a low end CPU that was released 3 years ago and I'd suggest that you get a faster CPU first of all.

What motherboard and GFX card do you have now?

IMO this is a pretty good motherboard for cheap. One cool thing about it is that it has a core unlocker in the bios. I had a Phenom II 555 x2 that I was able to unclock from a dual core to a quad core just by changing the setting in the bios to on.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130290

Now you have to keep in mind that unlocking cores and having them stable is not a 100% sure thing, but it seems to work fine for most. That being said, you can save a bit of money on a processor. There is the Callisto 555 3.2 Dual Core at $100. You could go with that, and if the cores unlock, (which they most likely will) you will have a quad core 3.2 GHz with a Level 3 Cache. You could also go with a Dual Core Regor 255 3.1 and unlock 1-2 cores for $77. Lastly, there is the 440 Rana Triple Core 3.1 GHz processor. Same thing goes with unlocking, but if it doesn't work you know you have three cores anyway. Either way you would be spending as little as $145 and as much as $170 for a motherboard and processor that will work well. Of course you could also get the Phenom II 965 x4 3.4 and that will definitely work good, but will be a bit more expensive. The motherboard uses DDR3, and it has good ratings. If I was to build a budget gaming PC this is where I would start.

Edited by vecchio

What kind of power supply would i need to run all those things plus a nice video card with some cooling system. I also would like to know how much you would pay my computer cause im gonna post it up on kijiji.ca.

PSU is 550W>Thermal Take Tower> Cooler Master>Seagate 320 Gig>ATI Radeon 4650>M8400F Motherboard>4 Gigs Ram Patriot>DVD RW>AMD 9500 Quad 2.20 2m Cache

its a LSP Ultra ATX Power Supply Im getting around 450 - 550 what you think

Plus no i haven't done anything to it I bought off a guy who worked at tiger direct 6 months ago

The thing about a PSU is if a you buy a good one, you will save money in the long run. The next time you do an upgrade, you will be able to keep your PSU. You also need to take into consideration if you ever think you will have a SLI setup or Crossfire setup, if you care about getting one that is modular, and how much money you want to spend. Personally I love my modular PSU. It just seems so much better to be able to plug in the cords you need, and not have to worry about the other 50% or more of cords that you don't even use. I have a Kingwin 1000w Modular PSU right now. Granted, that is overkill but I plan on being able to use that one for a while, I got it on sale, and it has good ratings. Something like this would work for you IMO....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121025&cm_re=MODULAR-_-17-121-025-_-Product

Of course, Corsair is known to make quality products. Something like this would work too...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012&cm_re=MODULAR-_-17-139-012-_-Product

For me, I just wanted to get something I knew would last me a long time. You could probably get by for less, but either of these should last you a couple of builds.

Edited by vecchio

I really don't know if your going to get $450. I was going to say you can list it on ebay and set a reserve, or start the bidding at the lowest price you would like, but you might have a hard time with that. For $450 you could buy a lot of the newer components. The problem with computer parts is if you keep them for too long they become worthless. IMO you do an upgrade while your old parts are still in demand. That way, you can still sell everything at a decent price, and use the money towards getting new components. You also want to keep as much from your old build as possible, like the monitor, DVD burner, and case if applicable. Don't keep anything that is going to limit anything you will be buying new, like memory that uses on old standard, or a MB that uses an old chipset.

Ive never had a problem with NVidea. The GTX-275 I have changed my game experience greatly. Its a terrific card. Dont forget to upgrade power too if you buy a new, more powerful video card. If you have a shelf puter odds are its power isnt up to snuff for an upgrade for a video card.

Yeah i don't think ill be getting 450 too but I guess when i save up a lil more money I may sell it for 400 or 350 or I may just buy myself a PS3 hehe always wanted cause my xbox broke down what a ****ty system PC Rule still

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0