Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Sound Fixed in 1.31.5

35 posts in this topic

The long standing sound anomalies (pop) have been fixed for the .5 patch (out early next week I think).

OpenAL is now included in the client so I can make changes to it. I was able to separate local and 3d sounds so that they don't interfere with each other (which led to pops in 3d sounds every time you made a local sound).

I also upgraded the sound quality to high (HRTF). This should not affect FPS as it runs on a separate thread (core). This creates a better stereo field and is incredible in headphones. If you can adjust your speakers make sure they make a 60° angle with them and your head for optimum effect.

You may hear a pop each time a sound channel is used for the first time but none thereafter.

Since all of you have been living with this for so long, it might be unfamiliar that this is what the game is supposed to sound like. Now you can tell what sounds are great and which ones are not so good. Note there are still issues in the client sound which are not Mac related and will likely be dealt with in a later release.

Closed Beta Testers - please use the test executable with your .4 client for live testing.

Mac only.

----- client sound layer code sits on top of ------

mac (openal) specific code | pc (directx) specific code

The client layer has some issues and I know nothing of the PC code except that it isn't perfect either. My fixes were only with the mac specific problems.

OpenAL on PC was utterly broken when they ditched it in favor of Directx, which itself is not all that great.

THe proper solution is Miles or FMOD, commercial sound engines with support for streaming and compressed sounds plus tons of other great features. This is just dependent on $.

Its on or off. You choose either Low Quality (panning) or High Quality (HRTF). We've always had Low set.

OpenAL on PC was utterly broken when they ditched it in favor of Directx, which itself is not all that great.

THe proper solution is Miles or FMOD, commercial sound engines with support for streaming and compressed sounds plus tons of other great features. This is just dependent on $.

its what 4 grand for a license? thats not that terrible all things considered.

Wow.

Sounds are so different, so much better.

Sounds in the distance have a sort of, I don't know, echo-ey, 3D feel to them. It's hard to describe.

I have a 2.1 sound system. It's an Altec Lansing that cost like $150 12 or 13 years ago, and still kicks ***, for a 2.1 system

Should I get a 5.1 or 7.1 surround now?

If so, what do I need to know to make the right choice for WWIIOL, and for Macs in general.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 3 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP11.005D.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

Serial Number (system): G87462HW0GP

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F20F3B2C

Intel High Definition Audio:

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

Line Out:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

Headphone:

Line In:

Speaker:

Connection: Internal

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Optical

S/P-DIF In:

Connection: Optical

motormouth:

Much as Romzy's posting style can give me headaches (and the fact that he's "NEVAR WRONG!!"), that post pretty much nails it on the head.

sgtchief:

romz you['re] my damn hero

sydney:

Ya know, at first Romsburg, you rubbed me the wrong way and I wasn't a fan. But over the past 12 months, you have really grown on me. You're precise, well spoken and although you are sometimes a little harsh, you are most often correct and in proper context with your responses.

irelandeb:

indeed he's one of the few voices of common sense on these forums

pete, linc & julie:

I can't say [any]thing else [than] that the ban was justified considering that you have an 'impressive' TOS history....

owilde:

The only thing worse than being talked about is *not* being talked about.

Wow.

Sounds are so different, so much better.

Sounds in the distance have a sort of, I don't know, echo-ey, 3D feel to them. It's hard to describe.

Should I get a 5.1 or 7.1 surround now?

We won't support X.1 until we get a new sound library and replace OpenAL. Although you one could hack it to support more than stereo, I'm just happy to finally get stereo to work right.

You are hearing the HRTF function sound instead of the simple panning it was doing before. I tried to use a little reverb but it doesn't actually do anything; its the HRTF 3D sound that's giving you the nice 3D feel. Even better with headphones.

Seems to work for everyone so far, it will be in 131.5.

The worst part for me of the current sound system was that in an airplane, the engine sound only came from the direction of the engine rather than reverberating throughout the cockpit. My headphones have some simulated 3D filters that fixed the directionality issue, but at the cost of making everything sound like it was sampled at a lower bit rate.

I can't fix the client sound code unless they spend money on the new engine. Issues like cockpit sound are client code, not the openal layer.

Sound is not fixed. Same as it has always been. A plane 2 miles up is still louder than the tank right next to your face.

Sound is not fixed. Same as it has always been. A plane 2 miles up is still louder than the tank right next to your face.

What version are you talking about?

1.31.5 is not out yet.

openal b1 or openal b2?

THe number of sounds you have set should be irrelevant as I force it to be 128. However, it may be something in the game is not accepting the override and still thinks it is less. So make sure you set the # sounds to 128 always. Note: it makes no difference to FPS, all the time is spent on the second core which is not involved in the game loop.

The 3d HRTF sound depends on the location and spread of your speakers, if they are too far apart or close together ( angle from your ears ) your ears will get the clues at the wrong times. First try to play with headphones to test, then try to move your speakers a bit until it matches.

If your speakers are the built in ones of course nothing you can do. Mine are set to about a 60° angle between them and pointed to my ears around 4 ft away. It also matters that your balance for the speakers is set to the middle.

If I have to I could add another option to turn it off but it would be for 1.32.

I found one issue so far:

Spawn a single engine plane and turn your engine on.

Enable mouse look and tilt your view up.

The sound of the engine becomes more muffled the further you look up until you reach 90 degrees up and then it pops back to normal level.

Panning left to right is normal.

Interesting. There are a whole host of issues with the cross platform layer involving directions and volumes (see the bug forum reports on bionic ear). Not sure which this type is.

I tried it out in Win7 on the same MacPro using both hardware and software sounds and the problem doesn't happen.

That would make one think its this code, but then different sound problems come in different versions/drivers under different Windowses.

I'll see if I can figure out what is missing.

I'm not too happy with how the sound is now but I guess I'll get used to it, sounds harsh compared to before.

One issue that I think is a bug is when placing satchels on fbs, the sound of the satchel sounds really muffled and the sound itself is also a couple of db's lower than it used to be.

Possible bug?

It's different but the speaker placement and quality make more a difference now. Try it in headphones once. Not sure about the satchels, there are lots of problems with those anyway. It's a short sound, and without the pop you used to hear it would sound way different.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0