Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Sound Fixed in 1.31.5

35 posts in this topic

Satchels I place seem fine, not sure about when guarding at a FB, haven't done that yet.

I noticed planes still seem too loud and footsteps are now quieter.

Other planes too loud is likely the bionic ear problem may PC people get. That one's likely to not be improved until we can replace the whole sound layer. A lot of the sound volumes are not particularly right. You've never been able to notice so much before.

Before the patch I was able to hear EA coming before I could spot them.

(only in 109s. not 110s. Engines are loud in 110s)

Avoided many a bounce this way.

My squad mates think I have "super" hearing cause I've alerted them as well.

It never seemed un-natural or a "bionic ear" bug. Just engine noise was less.

and I have good ears.

But now my engine noise is way louder and I can't hear outside the plane as well.

It may be more realistic this way, but I'm a little bummed about it.

Also, stereo field seems a bit extreme now. It's a cool effect, but it's a little

un-natural sounding. To me. I use good headphones when I play.

I've only been in game a few times since patch. Perhaps I just need to get

use to it.

All this being said, I'd like to say thanks ahwulf for all the hard work you put in. As I'm sure you're aware, you can't please everybody.

S!

Yeah bionic ear is not supposed to happen, it doesn't happen to everyone. The stereo field takes getting used to, but once you do, the old way sounds pretty cheap.

For 1.32 I could add an option if anyone wants.

I was flying a p-39 around yesterday and had more sound strangeness. Since the engine is behind, the issue of engine sound diminishing was reversed from front engine planes. When I looked down the engine sound became muffled. But not just that, the same would happen when I brought up the map. Also, the weirdness wasn't always there, maybe the vector from the ears to the engine changes minutely as you bob around in the cockpit and when it settles down, the position is different due to some floating point rounding error.

One the ground, what I notice is that it's very obvious when you facing directly at something making a sound. If you pan just a little left or right, the sound seems to move disproportionally to the opposite ear. It makes it very easy to pinpoint where some vehicle is going to emerge from a forest or bush line, which is probably as it should be, but the way the sound changes as you are pan off center just seems a bit unnatural to me, as if your ears were a high gain antenna pointed in the direction you're looking.

Putting Map on while driving a DAC (dangerous thing to do I know!) muffles engine sound. Haven't tried with other vehicles.

I heard the sound oddness when looking around in an airplane. The map is a new one, not sure how that connection happens. These are likely bugs I can do something about.

Part of the problem is the HRTF function works best in headphones and less so in speakers unless they are arranged perfectly. Part of the problem is that the client sound code (the non openal/directx code) isn't all that bright and thus the information sent to the platform sound code isn't always correct or timely. Sometimes its tough to hear where the problem lies. Even comparing the sound to the windows client isn't always helpful, as Directx has its own problems.

Most game publishers use FMOD or Miles if they can as they are an integrated system written just for game 3d. Our code is still a legacy of the old days when performance was hard to come by. Someday soon I hope we can redo it. FMOD and Miles do everything themselves and just push the end result audio to the hardware.

I will probably go ahead and add a feature to let you pick HRTF or Panning in 1.32.

Hmm, I don't think so since I set it at startup. But I'm not sure. I want to add the option to the launcher settings to avoid adding UI to the client.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0