Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Bionic ears

thief

Adding bailing before fixing a bug that effects every pilot in this game is an insult to us as paying customers.

Choosing to make the game prettier rather than more playable is unacceptable.

Well you call that *common sense*but i suppose the kiddies harrass them more about new toys and new grass than we do about making the game run PROPERLY..

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DOC

• thief

• acst

• lure

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spent 20minutes climbing to 8km in my H87 only for 3/4 people to hear me and break well before my guns.

What is the point in even trying to get above an axis plane that can out run you if he hears me coming even if I have alt on him? It's mofo ANNOYING! FIX IT!

This bug has been around since day 1 and needs to be fixed as your highest priority for Hanger.

I would like to see a temp. solution for it (killing all other sounds but own airplane sounds) untill it can be fixed the way it should fixed...

I remember DOC saying somewhere that they could theoretically do that.

I really do hope they do it at somepoint. I hate having bionic ears more than fighting people who have it.

Just spent 20minutes climbing to 8km in my H87 only for 3/4 people to hear me and break well before my guns.

What is the point in even trying to get above an axis plane that can out run you if he hears me coming even if I have alt on him? It's mofo ANNOYING! FIX IT!

This bug has been around since day 1 and needs to be fixed as your highest priority for Hanger.

Give this man a medal. 8Km in a hawk87? Lolz.

There are at least 2 bugs being discussed here but first let me say thank you to petie and lure for making this a proper bug report. I can actually work with those and with out those types of reports I cannot adequately understand what is being reported let alone task a replications method and fix.

Cheers!

Bug 1 - Sound Attenuation

Some sounds don't sound far away sometimes like they should. This oddity even bypasses the sound attenuation that is coded in for vehicle cockpits and open versus closed hatches.

The most common of these is the satchel one where you hear it like it is right behind you.

Bug 2 - Hardware/Software sound selection

We haven't rewritten the sound code in a while, something we need to do obviously. If you have your hardware/software sound selected incorrectly you can get all kinds of things such as not hearing your vehicle engine. My best guess is that it has to do with stereo versus surround sound setups that our old code just doesn't handle well.

If you're not hearing your engine and you want to then try changing that setting.

So then number 2 isn;t really a bug we can just fix. Nor is one likely. These are core issues with our sound code being out of date with modern sound hardware.

Dude, when we built this thing not only was there no on board sound, there wasn't any 5.1 setups either.

If you can help with any of bug reporting here we'd appreciate it. If not, knnow that having posted this has elevated our concern over it and we'll be taking another look at it so thank you.

There are at least 2 bugs being discussed here but first let me say thank you to petie and lure for making this a proper bug report. I can actually work with those and with out those types of reports I cannot adequately understand what is being reported let alone task a replications method and fix.

Cheers!

Some sounds don't sound far away sometimes like they should. This oddity even bypasses the sound attenuation that is coded in for vehicle cockpits and open versus closed hatches.

The most common of these is the satchel one where you hear it like it is right behind you.

We haven't rewritten the sound code in a while, something we need to do obviously. If you have your hardware/software sound selected incorrectly you can get all kinds of things such as not hearing your vehicle engine. My best guess is that it has to do with stereo versus surround sound setups that our old code just doesn't handle well.

If you're not hearing your engine and you want to then try changing that setting.

So then number 2 isn;t really a bug we can just fix. Nor is one likely. These are core issues with our sound code being out of date with modern sound hardware.

Dude, when we built this thing not only was there no on board sound, there wasn't any 5.1 setups either.

If you can help with any of bug reporting here we'd appreciate it. If not, knnow that having posted this has elevated our concern over it and we'll be taking another look at it so thank you.

What can we players do to help? How should we report it to you?

Just seeing that you will look into it, makes me feel much better. Since most people play on the ground and are not flying, it may seem that "just a few players" complain about the bionic ears when in fact most of the flyers are affectyed by it. And it destroys the game for me and many others...

A temporary fix has been suggested - turning all sounds besode your own plane sounds off. Can the old sound code handle that?

this is pretty much a gay bug

i used to get it but not anymore (didn't know why) - seems like everyone else does now though

fixy mcfix plz

What about the people doing CAS?

If they are low they should be able to hear tanks/trucks.

If its not possible to be that picky no sounds would still be a better option.

What about the people doing CAS?

If they are low they should be able to hear tanks/trucks.

If its not possible to be that picky no sounds would still be a better option.

ROFLMAO ive never flew a stuka in ww2 or did i fly a havoc either,so from a non experienced position (arm chair expert) are you trying to tell me that they had their heads out the window listening for trucks and tanks over a big noisy engine/'s

stupid1.gif

Cheers!

Beuty,this will be put in front of the bailout work then gophur,good decision bruvva..

Busier than a fart in a washtub.

Mine are never busy,they just head to the surface and go popsick0021.gif

Edited by nkelly

It's a sound bug. You hear enemy units loud and clear even if they are far away. Also, some variants of this bug completely removes the engine sound from your own aircraft so you can fly around and hear engines of enemy aircrafts as clear as infantry on the ground can. It's impossible to sneak up on a pilot with this bug unless you turn your own engines off.

When I had this bug back at around 2005-2006 I could hear truck engines and tanks starting up their engines when I was flying around above a town. I could hear trucks driving around and locate them from air by audio...

Its a huge exploit that's been left in game for waaay too long.

I always thought by bionic ears you ment sometimes hearing the drone of a an ea on your 6 just before you get bummed (excuse me french).

In the years Iv played I cant say i'v ever experienced anything remotely close to this scenario.

I've never had bionic ears to any extreme extent.

The only example I can think of is when the enemy plane is right on my six, and i mean he is like four feet away.

This isn't one of those swoop87 examples where you just get his circle to go red and he starts juking all over the place and diving to the deck.

Must say I have never had this issue yet and everyone I spoke to about it has not had it ?

I do get a lot of handy 6 calls that help plus head on a swivel so I am sure some think I have heard them when actually I just did one of my random crazy ivan's or a good 6 call.

I hope it can be programmed out to level the playing field or prevent those who feel they must game the game to make their system have this bug.

Must say I have never had this issue yet and everyone I spoke to about it has not had it ?

I do get a lot of handy 6 calls that help plus head on a swivel so I am sure some think I have heard them when actually I just did one of my random crazy ivan's or a good 6 call.

I hope it can be programmed out to level the playing field or prevent those who feel they must game the game to make their system have this bug.

Alot of people dont admit to having it, best way to test it is spawn axis then go barcap and allied AF, wait for a lone RAF plane and turn off your engine then dive on target. Once you get into range turn it on and watch him go nuts! Its amazing the people who claim not to have it but do, swoop is an example, we have tested most of the RAF big names during intermissions.

Alot of people dont admit to having it' date=' best way to test it is spawn axis then go barcap and allied AF, wait for a lone RAF plane and turn off your engine then dive on target. Once you get into range turn it on and watch him go nuts! Its amazing the people who claim not to have it but do, swoop is an example, we have tested most of the RAF big names during intermissions.[/quote']

Unlike alot of axis flyers (and allied) out there, ive never denied having the sound bug, i could list a whole slew of axis big names that "flip out" at long range and before you b*tch and moan about spit's, spawn one in and go try bouncing some EA, you'll soon realize that its equally prevalent on both sides of the fence.

and Acst, when have i ever claimed not to have bionic ears?, after installing the game it just worked out that way.

i actually hope they do find a way to fix it, but until they do ......cry me a river!

what is it worth i've never had bionic ears bug. Never in 9 years used MB onboard soundcards but top of the line SoundBlaster cards at the time. Always hardware sounds full. Speakers 4.1 setting and headphones.

No bionic ears - ever. I want my bionic ears too! :D

what is it worth i've never had bionic ears bug. Never in 9 years used MB onboard soundcards but top of the line SoundBlaster cards at the time. Always hardware sounds full. Speakers 4.1 setting and headphones.

No bionic ears - ever. I want my bionic ears too! :D

When I had bionic ears at it's worst around 2005-2006 or so I was using a Sound Blaster Audigy card. You don't need some crappy onboard sound to get it.

I'm using a Creative X-Fi card now and if you want a small taste of bionic ears you can try enable the SVM option in the Creative sound properties. It will boost all faint sounds so you can hear them clearly. It's not the same as binoic ears but it gives you an idea.

There are so many issues with sound drivers, 2.1 vs 5.1 speaker setups and audio settings (like Creative SVM) used to "improve" the sounds that the ONLY fix that will work is the previously mentioned change to mute all other sounds except your own aircraft.

On a general note, anyone how tries to downplay this bug does either:

A. Exploit this bug themselves and don't want it to go away

or

B. Have not experienced the bug firsthand and does not realize it's power.