Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
karu

keeping it cool

8 posts in this topic

i have an Athlon 5200+ stock is 2.7 ghz. at the desktop it would run about 51c. ingame it was running as high as 68. i backed off my frequency to 2.2 and it runs a ragged 62-65c depending on how big a battle im in.

so i goto tigerdirect and see what they have in CPU cooling. i find a cool looking rig from Cooler Master called the hyper N520. it has 5 heatpipes and 2 fans that flow 42 cfm. i installed it and immediatly my desktop temp went from 52c to 41c. ingame it would only go up to 46c. i went and cranked up the frequency to 2.96 ghz and tested ingame temp. after an hour it finally broke the 50c mark and leveled out at 51c.

im happy now the hyper n520 rocks for only $35.

Edited by karu

Your thermal paste can make quite a difference to, and the quality of the job you do on applying the thermal paste probably makes the most difference, people tend to slob it on top of the processor, when you should really apply a almost transparent coat of thermal paste.

i'd try out some Artic Silver Ceramique sometime, made a 4F difference on my setup over Artic Silver 5

Your thermal paste can make quite a difference to, and the quality of the job you do on applying the thermal paste probably makes the most difference, people tend to slob it on top of the processor, when you should really apply a almost transparent coat of thermal paste.

i'd try out some Artic Silver Ceramique sometime, made a 4F difference on my setup over Artic Silver 5

i dont know the best way to apply paste, i am afraid i have it wrong. it wasnt transparent, but it was as thin as i could get it and still be even. i used a matchbook for my straightedge.

any reccomendations would be appreciated.

As long as there are no air gaps it is fine to have a reasonable amount of the paste between the surfaces. The pressure of the two units pressing togeher will squeeze out any excess.

Personanlly I have found it better to be a little liberal with the application about 1mm+ thick and let the pressure even it out. Most importantly is no air gaps as that effectively creates hot pots and reduces cooling area.

For an AMD CPU the best way is to just put a tiny bit of paste on the middle, about the size of a small grain of rice, then put the cooler on, twist it a few degrees back and forth and then fasten it with the clamps.

Important is of course that any old paste has been cleaned off both surfaces properly before this.

There's no problem if the paste doesn't spread to the edges. Most of the heat is generated in the center anyway and that's where the paste is important.

Intel's are a bit different I've gathered.

it must be ok, so far the highest ive reached is 52c, and im running at 2996mhz,stock is 2.7. so i would have to say i got the paste on right,and the Hyper N520 is a great cooler.

now all i need is to know how far i can go with my system clock before worrying about other stuff,like power regulators. i dont have to worry about my memory,as it has a function that forces it to run at a specific frequency regardless of the system clock.

Edited by karu

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0