Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quizno

RAT input for a new rig....

26 posts in this topic

Went to get a new video card & found out it won't fit my case! Hence I'm planning to get a whole new rig built. So the following is what's on the menu What do the programmers/RAT pack think of the list. Any changes needed for what you have planned in the future? ANy changes for what's going on now? Let me know what you think.

Intel Core 15 CPU

EVGA H55V AIO Main Board

8GB DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM

WD 1TB SATA 7200rpm Hard Drive

NVIDIA FeForce GTX 460

Black 22x DVD =/-RW Dual Layer Drive

Internal Card Reader

Ethernet 10/100/1000 Interface

3 Channel 3D Sound/ 3 Piece Subwoofer Spkrs

Keyboard & Optical Mouse

Ultra 750W Power Supply Case

Windows 7 Premium 64 Bit OS

5 Year 100% Hardware Warranty

So is this good for your game? Anything else I should be asking for or anything that should be changed? I need to know before I have them build it for me. From the day I order it, its supposed to take 3 days for them to have it ready for me to pick up.

Thanks in advance for all your RAT expertise help. Love ya's!

I don't know the intels very good but as far as I know I wouldn't recommend an i5. Better to go for the i7 instead. Of course, it depends a bit on which i5 you're gonna get. I'm sure someone who knows them better can recommend something.

I don't know the intels very good but as far as I know I wouldn't recommend an i5. Better to go for the i7 instead. Of course' date=' it depends a bit on which i5 you're gonna get. I'm sure someone who knows them better can recommend something.[/quote']

I'd defiantly lean towards a i7 instead of a i5 series.

the i5~750 Series is still significantly slower then the Phenom II 965, which can be had for the same exact price.

but the i5-760 does nudge out the Phenom II 965 by a little bit, but its 209.99$ and a overclocked phenom II will take the cake once again without requiring expensive overclocking mainboard, and overclocking memory

really i guess its a toss up of preferences, they'll probably both perform similarly to each other at stock frequencies and the cost is similar as well.

that system should be FINE?!??!?

I don't want FINE, I want AWESOME!!! BTW I printed out the recommended list as well & took it with me to the computer store. So one of the "deals" was upgraded with the video card along with the power supply to handle it.

ATM I bought a new gig of ram for my hubby's computer, so I CAN actually fly now ingame.

I'm just curiuos IF I do go ahead & get a new computer built for YOUR game that YOU guys made so ADDICTIVE!!! That I get something put together that you believe is gonna be a GREAT build for the next few years. Of course I may just wait til next year to get one. I just don't know!!! Really depends on how well my hubby's computer works out. It's running on a wireless card atm & I want that changed so I don't lose connection or lag during a HOT time. Anyway's what do you CRS guys think?

the i5 is 650

Recommended list has listed:

3GHz Dual Core OR 2.66 Ghz Quad Core

which do you think is better & why?

I really have no clue about computers. It's always been my saying "when I turn it on, its supposed to work, & when it doesn't I want to say "honey, come fix this & he does". Of course this time he CAN'T fix it LOL So Im looking at an a new rig. Really don't want to buy one til next year since I have plans I wanted to try to get done before April & this is gonna slow that down! /LOL

if you wait to build one in 2012 you can get ddr4 as well a those pretty quick motherboards.

however i suggest going above the minimum so crs has room to expand seeing as how they want to keep the minimum specs so that the people with really old pc's can handle it. if more people get better end machines thats more they can say everyone has these specs and we can inprove this much more :P

ive got a i7 2.8ghz with 8gb ddr3 and a fairly good motherboard my rig cost me 2.5k though. i get an average of 150-200 fps ingame 200 for air and 150 for land :P your rig looks closer to 2.8-3k all together :P and should play the game very well i wouldnt imagine you having problem for the next 5 yrs with that set up maybe longer.

Edited by mysticwarr

the i5 is 650

I really have no clue about computers. It's always been my saying "when I turn it on, its supposed to work, & when it doesn't I want to say "honey, come fix this & he does". Of course this time he CAN'T fix it LOL So Im looking at an a new rig. Really don't want to buy one til next year since I have plans I wanted to try to get done before April & this is gonna slow that down! /LOL

Quiz -

Vhawk built mine and at a great price 2 years ago. I turn it on and it has 100+ FPS in the air. It supports dual monitors and simply does it without complaint. Send him a PM if you want someone to give you a free advice and a fair deal if you like.

JOKER007

that system should be FINE?!??!?

I don't want FINE, I want AWESOME!!!

I said "fine" because you did not initially post a CPU GHz.

Personally, I would go with the 3+GHz for gaming.

Please bloo' date=' it's the 2010's, not the 1990's. GHz is NOT all there is to it.[/quote']

True that, you want a CPU with at least 8MB of cache AND somewhere above 3.0Ghz for a great gaming experience.

since this game can't utilize more then one cores worth of processing power, quad dual or six core, you still want 3.0Ghz or better, because your locked to a single cores processing power.

in essence if you had a single core processor that packed a hellacious amount of cache, the instruction sets and all the other goodies, it'd perform the same as a six core processor on this specific game.

But i dont know about you but i play other games as well, and its pretty much mandatory that you have at least a quad core processor these days for the newest games to run acceptable.

its not the hardware thats incompatible with this game, its the game thats incompatible with the quad core processors multiple graphics cards and all that.

For the price of that i5-650 though, you can get a phenom II X4 955 that'll simply stomp the performance the i5 series can muster up. the i5 wont even touch what the phenom's can produce after overclocking. and the black edition AMD's are made specifically to overclock.

I'd probably also go with DDR3-1600 or DDR3-1800 since those intels can take advantage of those speeds better then the AMD's can.

and i'd really stay away from the Ultra brand power supplies, i can take a picture of three burnt out Ultra brand power supplies in my closet i forage off of for components, Go with a Corsair, Enermax, or Seasonic. every computer i've ever built has a Enermax power supply, and every single one of those are still working to this day, my Noisetaker 1.0a has been powering my parts since early 2004 and is still running like a champ. the voltages are still the same as the day i pulled it out of the box, and enermax power supplies are at least E80+ rated, mines E80+ GOLD rated (E80 means how efficient the psu is) So the better the E rating on it, the cooler it'll run and the cheaper your electric bill will be at the end of the month, a serious thing to consider when your running a 750W power supply or more.

Please bloo' date=' it's the 2010's, not the 1990's. GHz is NOT all there is to it.[/quote']

You forget when this game was built ;)

To contribute - quiz, i5s are very very capable cpus but if you want the 'wow' factor from your new rig then i7 is the only thing to consider on the intel front. You've asked a few times about cores and clock speeds and several people have answered, but you're still asking! The game only really uses one core, so the clock speed will be important.

I've never built an AMD system so I'll defer to others on that, I'm sure they can steer you right if that's the direction you choose to go.

To echo others comments, don't go to a big box store/dell etc. to get your system!

Go to a small store, local hobbyist builder or ww2ol community builder. The amount of care taken over it will be much higher and you won't get some 3 sizes fits all garbage. It sounds like you are prepared to spend the bucks to get something that will last, so do it right!

Just to confuse you some more. Everyone here is talking about get 3ghz or above but there is a caveat as a nice 2.8ghz I7 is plenty of processor and woul dbe better than other lesser processors running 3ghz +

8MB cache on I7's and you'll probably be looking at 2.8 or maybe 2.93 ghz

All depends on budget but I7's are pretty much the fastest. If on a budget there are good AMD options which may allow you a better PSU

(did see you got 5 year warranty though which is pretty good and may negate some quality choices, depends on your situation.).

a 2.8 i7 would o/c above 3.0 with barely any effort. Mine is sitting very comfortably at 3.5 ath the moment and has been up to 4 before.

a 2.8 i7 would o/c above 3.0 with barely any effort. Mine is sitting very comfortably at 3.5 ath the moment and has been up to 4 before.

Yup only draw back on the non "unlocked" editions of the i7's is you need a overclocking mainboard and memory capable of being overclocked as well.... which is usually costly, very costly.

Bud420's i7-920 is chilling at a comfortable 3.77Ghz but hes got a 160$ mainbaord and 230$ memory (6 x 1 GB sticks) along side a 80$ CPU heatsink.

you can just about get five AMD 965 quad cores for the price of his cpu/mobo/ram combo. and he only scores a few hundred points faster on benchmarks with a 4~5fps difference on ww2ol when were at a lan party in the same room at the same place on the same connection.

480$ for 5fps more isn't honestly justified IMO

raw frequency is always important.

I'm running an ocz agility 1 ssd and I did see a massive difference in game loading time, and perhaps a 5fps increase in framerates. So I have a phenom x3 720 unlocked to quad, oc'd to 3.0ghz, 4gb ddr 800 standard clock, ati 4670 512mb, and my ssd...all of those parts balance out the fact that I have a crappy video card and on max settings I still average 30fps

I think that's more of a fluke really.

Loadtimes will be a lot shorter but if you are in a scenario where no loding is needed, it's all in memory already.. then it's just not possible to get a higher framerate from a SSD alone.

If you're low on memory and there's a lot of harddrive access all the time, then I can see how a SSD would help but not if you have plenty of ram, then you won't notice much of a difference at all.

Im looking to make a move since who knows when I'll be able to buy a new computer in the future.This is about what Im using as a baseplate http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=438942 tho Lord knows I'd rather spend less.

What Im kinda hemming over is the crossfire system. Is it really worth it? Worth the extra sheckles ? This system should scream without it.

I'll stick with Intel. Its all I know. Ive never had a non-Intel system.

Im looking to make a move since who knows when I'll be able to buy a new computer in the future.This is about what Im using as a baseplate http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=438942 tho Lord knows I'd rather spend less.

What Im kinda hemming over is the crossfire system. Is it really worth it? Worth the extra sheckles ? This system should scream without it.

I'll stick with Intel. Its all I know. Ive never had a non-Intel system.

For this game Crossfire/SLI is a waste. BGE only supports one GPU.

For most other games oh yes, it definately makes a big difference.

Edited to add:

Of course it depends on what card(s) you get. As an example. Two 5770's perform about the same as a 5870 in games that support Crossfire but for less money. In this game.. well, with a faster CPU you'll get advantage of the extra the 5870 can give but with a normal entry level cpu you might as well stick with a 5770 since the cpu will bottleneck it anyway.

It's not quite as simples as apples or pears..

Edited by munchkin
Adding stuff

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0