Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stdyhand

Grass killing FPS

23 posts in this topic

Since 1.31 came out, I have adjusted my settings to get the best performance. For the most part, this means everything is OFF or on "performance". Only thing on is rag doll, muzzle flash, and muzzle smoke, which I consider necessary to have a chance in battle. Plus I haven't found these really hurt FPS.

Population levels have some impact, but I have found I can play fairly well until I enter the new grass and forests now, due to the trees.

Don't get me wrong, I like the look of the grass but it is really hogging power from my CPU.

As soon as I enter a grassy area my FPS will drop so low the whole game seems to stutter and if EI is around I don't have a snow ball chance of getting the drop on him.

I am running...

Foxconn A79A-S

Phenom II 940 quad OC'd to 3.4ghz

OCZ Reaper 4gb

XFX 4870

OCZ 700w mod PSU.

Win 7 64 bit.

Obviously my specs meet the listed requirements and then some. I watched the CPU usage while playing the game and as soon as I enter grass and some forests my CPU usage maxes out. It hits 100%. That is a lot of power just for grass.

This is with all game settings off except those listed and with ATI CCC settings all set on performance. I can't get anything extra out of it to avoid this lag/stutter.

I play mostly lowpop and it even occurs then so I don't think its the population level at all. I can do fine in a heavy fight, IF I stay away from grass. Thats kind of hard to do since its located in a lot of places now. It would be great if we could turn that off. If I could run it, I wouldn't mind more for the "feel" of it in game, but even with my specs the grass is the largest drain on performance.

Perhaps you have a lot of programs running in the background that steals memory and performance. Things get installed all the time, small programs and services that comes with other software packs that keeps running even if you shut down the main program.

You should try to use AMD's Fusion app and shut down all unnecessary services and programs while you play.

You could also try and overclock a bit.

The 940 isn't a bad CPU so you shouldn't experience that kind of bad performance so I'm pretty sure you have something stealing it.

Perhaps you have a lot of programs running in the background that steals memory and performance. Things get installed all the time, small programs and services that comes with other software packs that keeps running even if you shut down the main program.

You should try to use AMD's Fusion app and shut down all unnecessary services and programs while you play.

The 940 isn't a bad CPU so you shouldn't experience that kind of bad performance so I'm pretty sure you have something stealing it.

Yeah. The grass is stealing it...

Really? I am on a 3.0ghz Oced dual core that cost $50, 2GB DDR3, and only a Biostar 4670..

I am on 1280x1024 w/ AA and AF on All High in-game options (low system ram checked)

The grass does NOT slow down my game... Random directions seem to, but rarely and I think it's some kinda weird terrain thing or tree bug except huge forests don't even lag me..

I get minimum 15FPS, normal in large battles is 30+

Something is wrong... It ain't grass..

Prbly it's that windows 7 sux, I'm on XP.

CPU is overclocked to 3.4 already. I have done a fresh install as well. I am not the type that downloads a lot of stuff. In fact, you wouldn't find anything on my computer that I don't have to have on here. I try not to add anything which would slow it down. I have checked all programs starting up in the background and it only shows a couple of mandatory windows programs.

Really? I am on a 3.0ghz Oced dual core that cost $50, 2GB DDR3, and only a Biostar 4670..

I am on 1280x1024 w/ AA and AF on All High in-game options (low system ram checked)

The grass does NOT slow down my game... Random directions seem to, but rarely and I think it's some kinda weird terrain thing or tree bug except huge forests don't even lag me..

I get minimum 15FPS, normal in large battles is 30+

Something is wrong... It ain't grass..

Prbly it's that windows 7 sux, I'm on XP.

15+, 30+???? A friend of mine has a similar setup as yours and he gets 50+ except for similar situations. He suffers from a stutter around grass as well or so he says. I haven't seen his system under many in game conditions but he claims to lag in grass as well.

My system will do 150-230 in the AIR flying but once I hit ground I'll maybe get 50 FPS and it will immediately drop to single digits or low teens if I enter grass. That is excessive.

I don't know then. I have no problem with the tall grass, I haven't noticed any drop in performance.

Dunno, maybe there's a difference between the 4k- and 5k-series cards here, similarly to the fact that the 5k-series cards didn't get hit by the tree in binos view.

And you have tried different sets of drivers as well to see if there's any difference?

I don't know then. I have no problem with the tall grass, I haven't noticed any drop in performance.

Dunno, maybe there's a difference between the 4k- and 5k-series cards here, similarly to the fact that the 5k-series cards didn't get hit by the tree in binos view.

And you have tried different sets of drivers as well to see if there's any difference?

Ah speaking of binocs, I almost forgot. When I use my binocs or atg/armor and zoom out or aim with the sights, the FPS will drop also. Noticed that tonight when trying to use an ATG. It looked like the 232 was warping several feet at a time, but I knew it was me because my FPS was dropping to 10.

radial clutter density and distance set to lowest?
Like I said before, everything is on the lowest settings. Been over everything several times, adjusting anything I could to get max performance. I care more about performance than I do looks. How something looks does me no good if I can't get the drop on the other player.

I still have to ask if ALL drivers are up to date. I'm not talking about drivers taken from microsoft or windows update here, those are crap. Chipset, sound and graphics drivers needs to be taken from the manufacturers.

Lots of people seems to forget the chipset drivers and just run along with windows default ones.

This can also be sound related.. sound taking to much of the power from your cpu and if the sound driver (codec) isn't working as it should it can hog the system badly.

Yes all drivers are up to date. I have never had a problem with sound. The sound never seems to lag. My XFX 4870 has the latest driver from XFX and I am running ATI CCC 10.9. I wouldn't have went through all the trouble of building my own computer just to run default drivers.;)

Is your sound built-in or a separate card.

I'm not saying sound is a problem, only that it might draw to much power from the cpu.

But, I still think you should try to run the Fusion app before you start gaming and see if it makes any difference..

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/fusion-for-desktops/Pages/overview.aspx

Ok I downloaded this and put it on the "game" profile. I am actually getting lower FPS with it running, but they stay more stable. Unfortunatly, their still too low and I tend to lag around grass. My biggest lag around grass is if I take armor through it. If I zoom out while in a tank it lags so bad sometimes I think the game is locking up.

Today has been really bad. It is the first time I have ever lagged in the AIR. Normally I get 100-200+ FPS but today I was getting 20-40 and dipping to 16. To remedy the problem I simply did my bombing from a higher ALT, 2-3km.

What realy irritates me about all this is I have another PC that my wife uses and it has a slower CPU@2.7ghz and a 4850 and it does better than my 3.0ghz CPU + 4870. Both have same brand of RAM and both 4gb.

Can you post your complete DXDIAG?

I still have a hunch your using a default/chipset SMGART driver.

Edited by indo420

Back off on your OC and see if it changes.

Went back to default 3.0ghz and FPS got worse again, so the little extra speed does seem to help some. I know the game is speed hungry, but it is crazy that 3ghz to 3.4 isn't enough.

Something isn't right if it got worse. It sounds to me like your cpu is throttling of that happens.

If I don't use that Fusion application I downloaded, I noticed the CPU does throttle back to the minimum speed quite often.

However, if I put it on the "game" profile it keeps it at the maximum speed. Thus, I believe that is why my FPS remained more stable. They were still just too low when it came to fighting around the grass.

You say it DOES throttle when you're gaming?

Then I have to say that your OC is not stable at all and/or it might run a bit to hot.

Check temps, on GPU as well, and run some stability tests to see, because it does not sound right as you describe it.

I'd try to turn C'n'Q and any other energy-saving settings off and see if that changes anything as well.

You say it DOES throttle when you're gaming?

Then I have to say that your OC is not stable at all and/or it might run a bit to hot.

Check temps, on GPU as well, and run some stability tests to see, because it does not sound right as you describe it.

I'd try to turn C'n'Q and any other energy-saving settings off and see if that changes anything as well.

The CPU only throttles back for a sec and then goes back up. The temps for the CPU and GFX card never go above 49c.

The CPU is cooled by a Hyper N520 which has 2x90mm fans which I believe move 89cfm and the case is a Antec 900 with 5x120mm Scythe fans moving 120+CFM of air and 1x200mm top fan. I put new ceramic thermal compound on cpu about a month ago, just to replace the old stuff. Temps never changed or anything. That was just a routine thing.

I have used CPU/GPU-Z to monitor activity plus temps, as well as the motherboard software that is included. I've never seen the temps get hot, even when playing in heavy battles.

I also don't use any C n Q. It is disabled in BIOS.

Well, the fact that it throttles back suggests that something isn't quite right, it shouldn't do that.

What happens if you lower your OC just a little bit?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0