Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghostrider

What is wrong with my computer?

40 posts in this topic

So i posted awhile back about the possibility that my motherboard and graphics card had taken a dive...

After a few upgrades and tons of troubleshooting I still can't figure this out. It started with a couple lockups where i had to restart my computer. Then one day my computer would start up but i never got any display on my monitor.

I thought I narrowed the problem down to my motherboard after I went to bestbuy, bought a new gfx card and it showed the exact same problem (returned that gfx card afterwards). From there i went ahead and tried to upgrade my computer a bit instead of just buying a new motherboard. I got a new motherboard, new RAM and a new processor. After setting that all up I again got the exact same problem trying to start up my computer. No screen but you can see and hear the computer boot into windows. This new MB, however, has a built in gfx chip. So i took out my old gfx card and any unnecessary peripherals and booted up. BAM...screen shows up. While i have use of my screen I go in and reformat my harddrives, reinstall windows, upgrade BIOS, etc. Now i go to put my old graphics card back in and run right back into the same problem i was having before.

At this point the only thing I could think that it could be is my power supply. So today I went out and bought a brand new power supply. After installing it, its the exact same issue.

Now im at a loss....Whats wrong with my computer? Im out of ideas. At this point its practically an entirely new setup and I still have the same problems i had before. Perhaps it really was my graphics card. But if so why would a new gfx, different model, fresh out the box have the same issues?

My current monitor is a 24in LCD, DVI. I tried an old VGA lcd i have and its the same problem.

If my graphics card is attached to the motherboard the screen wont even come up if I have the monitor plugged into the onboard graphics.

Disable on-board graphics in your bios and leave your new graphics card in.

Reboot and see if it makes any difference.

Also check in bios how init display first is set.

Init display first can also be called Primary VGA BIOS or VGA Boot From depending on your mboard.

not sure if i can do that cause if i have my graphics card in the screen wont come up and i wont be navigate thru the bios

im having the same problem on two different motherboards. My old motherboard didnt even have an onboard graphics chip.

Read your old post.

Your PSU isn't set to 240 instead of 110 is it? Probably not but worth a look.

Read your old post.

Your PSU isn't set to 240 instead of 110 is it? Probably not but worth a look.

Not sure what you mean by that...i dont know how to change any settings on a PSU, I have 2 PSUs now, each has the same problem. And the whole thing started without me changing anything with my computer. Was running fine for about 3-4 years with no changes.

Not sure what you mean by that...i dont know how to change any settings on a PSU' date=' I have 2 PSUs now, each has the same problem. And the whole thing started without me changing anything with my computer. Was running fine for about 3-4 years with no changes.[/quote']

On back of PSU there is al little switch that changes between 240 and 110, just under where you plug the cable in normally.

old 650W PSU doesnt have a switch

and the new 500W PSU has a switch which is on 110

If you can see 110 im sure that means its on 240 and vis versa.

The only thing i can think of is your Graphics card, i had the same problem a week ago, still not figured it out properley, when my tower is stood up my graphics card wont work and when i lie it down on the side it does. probably bad connection.

Dont wann a risk trying to fix untill i got new card to replace it incase it breaks.

The only thing i can think of is your Graphics card, i had the same problem a week ago, still not figured it out properley, when my tower is stood up my graphics card wont work and when i lie it down on the side it does. probably bad connection.

Dont wann a risk trying to fix untill i got new card to replace it incase it breaks.

well i bought a new, different model gfx card to test for that and i had the same issue.

Not sure what you mean by that...i dont know how to change any settings on a PSU' date=' I have 2 PSUs now, each has the same problem. And the whole thing started without me changing anything with my computer. Was running fine for about 3-4 years with no changes.[/quote']

Not a big deal. Was a longshot anyway. Have seen old psu's lose this setting and start acting like they are set to a different voltage input (Europe 220v vs US 110v). Also had PSU's delivered with the switch set to wrong voltage. If there is a switch it's usually near the PSU's on/off switch, otherwise it is automatic and senses the input voltage, and adjusts accordingly.

Might be good to re-make the list of everything that is "currently" in your system; what is brand new; what is original.

At this point it still looks like GPU or PSU but as you said these have been replaced with new or tested with other monitor or on new mboard.

RAM is a possibility. Cables are a possibility (seen them fail inside the plug, pita to chase it down if that's the problem).

Put up the list of what hardware you now have in the system. Mark it original or new.

If you can see 110 it is set to 110.

Sounds like psu setting is OK.

New Equipment

ASUS 890GX MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631

AMD Phenom II x4 965 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

G.Skill 4GB ddr3 1333 RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275

Ultra 500W PSU

Old Equipment

x2 500GB Caviar Black HDD in RAID0

Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB (no installed currently)

DVD Burner

The new MB came with all new cables along with new power plugs with the new PSU.

New Equipment

ASUS 890GX MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631

AMD Phenom II x4 965 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

G.Skill 4GB ddr3 1333 RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275

Ultra 500W PSU

Old Equipment

x2 500GB Caviar Black HDD in RAID0

Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB (no installed currently)

DVD Burner

The new MB came with all new cables along with new power plugs with the new PSU.

I think that mboard is supposed to have a dummy card in one of the pci slots and your gpu goes in the other (the blue one). (note: read this, not from my personal experience).

Try setting bios to optimized defaults also.

Could it be my monitor? Is there some reason it would work with my onboard graphics and not my graphics card?

Do they have different plugs? Could be the cable used for the PCI GPU.

Can you plug your older monitor into the onboard GPU and put the PCI GPU into the system (without plugging in your monitor or cable) and still boot up?

My onboard gfx card has dvi and vga connections. My discrete GPU only has DVI. My monitor is only DVI

If I leave my discrete GPU on the motherboard but plug my monitor into the onboard GPU it still cant get a display.

I can only get a display if the discrete GPU is not plugged in.

My onboard gfx card has dvi and vga connections. My discrete GPU only has DVI. My monitor is only DVI

If I leave my discrete GPU on the motherboard but plug my monitor into the onboard GPU it still cant get a display.

I can only get a display if the discrete GPU is not plugged in.

Would still be interesting to disable the onboard GPU and try the discreet by itself. It shouldn't be an issue if it doesn't work. Just reset your bios and the onboard will re-enable itself.

another dumb question. does your discreet have two outputs (dvi/dvi or dvi/vga). if so, try each one.

Would still be interesting to disable the onboard GPU and try the discreet by itself. It shouldn't be an issue if it doesn't work. Just reset your bios and the onboard will re-enable itself.

That's what I'd suggest as well. Remove the card, connect the monitor to onboard gfx, get into bios and disable onboard gfx, put the card back in, connect the monitor to it and then try again.

Have you connected the vga switch card correctly? It should be in the gray slot and your gfx card in the blue to get x16 mode.

Also, and this is something that a lot of people forget, have you connected the power cable(s) to the gfx card? I've made this simple mistake myself, it's an easy thing to forget.

Edited by munchkin

That's what I'd suggest as well. Remove the card, connect the monitor to onboard gfx, get into bios and disable onboard gfx, put the card back in, connect the monitor to it and then try again.

Have you connected the vga switch card correctly? It should be in the gray slot and your gfx card in the blue to get x16 mode.

Also, and this is something that a lot of people forget, have you connected the power cable(s) to the gfx card? I've made this simple mistake myself, it's an easy thing to forget.

Dummy card is in the right slot and the power cord connected to the pci-e card. I can try disabling the onboard gfx but I was having this same problem with my old MB which had no onboard gfx

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0