Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghostrider

What is wrong with my computer?

40 posts in this topic

well it could be the video card, i mean its the last part that is old, and giving you problems, i might go out and get that cheap 8400gs and do the same thing you did before and return it after testing it out.

How do the contacts look on the video card? are they bright and shiny? or dull and faded looking? try taking a pencil eraser and cleaning both sides of the contacts on the video card, then try again.

Are there any melted spots on the video card? does it look like there are any capacitors leaking? any white crusty spots on the PCB?

have a buddy with a computer? try sticking his video card in your pc or your card in his PC.

I doubt its the power supply, the only problem could be that the new power supply can't deliver the amperage needed to power the power hungry 8800 series so it doesnt post, but it can power the intergrated video since that doesn't require any additonal power really.

for a power supply and a 8800 series card. you'd want around 36A to 44A combined on the +12v rails, so maybe check that?

did you try using the card in the other PCI-e slot? its a long shot but i might try that as well.

but if it boots with IG video, and not the video card, i'm leaning towards the video card.

did you ever try the 8400gs with the new mainboard? if you do end up getting a new graphics card, i'd get a ATi series card since it'll run in hybrid mode with your intergrated card.

try taking that dummy card out and see what happens, maybe it doesnt like the nvidia card with that dummy slot, though your mainboard manual will tell you about any problems like that, it'd be worth a read anyways.

Video cards emit a very loud BEEEEEEEPPP BEEP BEEP when the power is disconnected, at least nvidia cards do, never tried it with my ATi card, but i've done it on accident with a nvidia card lol.

Edited by indo420

Tried the new video card thing once before i got the new motherboard. I guess it could be worth a try again cause Bestbuy has a no questions return policy for stuff like that, much easier then ordering stuff online and dealing with shipping

Maybe ill try out an ATI card this time.

anything over 450W should be good enough for almost all single GPU systems. And besides i was using my old 650W PSU for about 4 years and never had any power problems. My 8800 looks fine, all the connectors look pretty shiny, dont see anything leaking, loose or broken on it but it is one of those card with the big plastic covering, hiding most of the components.

Tried the new video card thing once before i got the new motherboard. I guess it could be worth a try again cause Bestbuy has a no questions return policy for stuff like that, much easier then ordering stuff online and dealing with shipping

Maybe ill try out an ATI card this time.

anything over 450W should be good enough for almost all single GPU systems. And besides i was using my old 650W PSU for about 4 years and never had any power problems. My 8800 looks fine, all the connectors look pretty shiny, dont see anything leaking, loose or broken on it but it is one of those card with the big plastic covering, hiding most of the components.

lol wish i was there i could probably solve the problem inside 40 minutes : \

but its hard to take stabs in the dark from 4,500 miles away on a laptop with no pictures or anything.

Dummy card is in the right slot and the power cord connected to the pci-e card. I can try disabling the onboard gfx but I was having this same problem with my old MB which had no onboard gfx

If you don't disable the onboard gfx in bios you need at least to go in and change the priority settings, otherwise it is very likely that it tries to send the signal out through the onboard gfx even if you have your monitor connected to the discrete card.

Computers aren't always smart so you need to tell them exactly what to do. I still think you should try to disable the onboard gfx, you won't have any use for it anyway so what's the point of having it enabled? And, you'll get back the shared system memory. You need a 4-series ATI card anyway to make use of the hybrid crossfire.....

If you don't disable the onboard gfx in bios you need at least to go in and change the priority settings, otherwise it is very likely that it tries to send the signal out through the onboard gfx even if you have your monitor connected to the discrete card.

Computers aren't always smart so you need to tell them exactly what to do. I still think you should try to disable the onboard gfx, you won't have any use for it anyway so what's the point of having it enabled? And, you'll get back the shared system memory. You need a 4-series ATI card anyway to make use of the hybrid crossfire.....

After some research it seems there is no way to disable the onboard graphics card on this MB, you can change the boot priority but when i went into the BIOS to change it i saw that i was already set to the last priority.

Is it possible there was a simultaneous short in both my graphics card and my old motherboard's video adapter?

Testing a different card on my old MB didnt fix the problem but I havent tried a new card with the new MB yet. I'll probably go pick up a cheap ATI card tomorrow to test out, then return it and order a good new card online if it fixes the problem.

This issue is really starting to bother me now becuase at this point I have almost an entirely new computer but with the exact same issue i was having before. When I'm done and if I dont have too many 'broken' pieces of equipment. I actually have a spare case laying around somewhere. Maybe ill just build another PC

Of course you can disable onboard gfx.

I just downloaded the manual and checked. Far down on the AI Tweaker page in BIOS you have "Internal Graphics Mode". If you set that to disable your onboard gfx is disabled.

I'd say this has to be the graphics card and that when you tried the new one it either wasn't quite seated correctly or you got really unlucky and got another broken card, you've eliminated everything else.

Try with just one stick of memory in? Closest slot to the CPU.

---I checked ASUS QVL, everything you have is listed.

Edited by jphartt

Ok, so I fixed it (for now, fingers crossed)

I went out and bought another graphics card to test with, this time an ATI 5550.

Just plugged it in and booted up and everything worked fine. Didnt have to disable onboard graphics or anything.

Looking back at my struggles to figure this out I can't be completely sure what the problem was but as I'm looking at it right now I'm guessing that there was some type of short in both my 8800 GTS and my old motherboard. I'm guessing the connections between the video adapter and the graphics card both somehow became fried. I'm not even entirely sure that this is possible but its my best explanation right now. Its the only thing that could explain why a brand new graphics card wouldn't fix the problem on my old motherboard and also why my old graphics card wouldn't work in the new motherboard.

Anyone have any other thoughts or ideas as to what the source of the problem could have been?

It's of course possible that your old card could have somehow damaged your old motherboard. On the other hand it could have been the other way around as well, the motherboard was somehow damaged and then the new card you got also fried when you connected it.

At least now you know that it works.

I still recommend that you disable the onboard graphics since it WILL steal system resources and the fact that you won't have any use for it anyway.

It's of course possible that your old card could have somehow damaged your old motherboard. On the other hand it could have been the other way around as well, the motherboard was somehow damaged and then the new card you got also fried when you connected it.

At least now you know that it works.

I still recommend that you disable the onboard graphics since it WILL steal system resources and the fact that you won't have any use for it anyway.

Does the hybrid Crosfire feature work with 5xxx series cards? i'm not very familiar with that style of crosfire, with the integrated card assisting the dedicated one. i saw you said it works with 4 series cards, i dunno why it wouldn't work with 5 series though?

it wouldn't make a lick of difference on ww2ol besides stealing system ram like you said, but it might help boost performance in other games? its worth a shot i guess

glad you got it working. i bet something did short in the old mainboard that killed your graphics cards. but i guess we'll never really know :P

Oh don't forget to install ALL your drivers, not just your video and audio drivers, mainboard drivers are as important as video drivers and can have a dramatic difference on system performance.

I checked and it's only low-end 34xx-series and 24xx-series cards that are possible to hybrid crossfire with.

The only real use I see for the IGP anyway is to save power when you're just using desktop apps and such. That much I think is possiblem, my old laptop was built that way, but other than that you have no use for the IGP.

Even if you could crossfire with it it wouldn't add any performance anyway, it's just to weak compared to most discrete cards on the market right now.

Reading a bit more about it it seems like the HD5450 is possible to hybrid crossfire with the 890GX HD4290. Though, I still doubt that there will be much of a performance improvement.

On another note. This game is barely playable with a 4200. My HTPC has a 785G chipset with a HD4200 and I played on that at 1920x1080 with about 20-30 FPS outside towns... and the 4290 that's built into the 890GX is a bit better.. so, with a 5450 it might add a bit in crossfire but not by very much. Better spent the money on at least a 5750 and disable the IGP instead.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0