Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sanscrit

PC recommendations

23 posts in this topic

I reactivated WWIIOL a couple of months ago after trying it in 2001. I love it. However, I seem to get choppiness in active areas. Here are my PC specs:

Win 7

AMD x4 2.3 GHz

8 GB RAM

NVidia 9500 GT w/ 512 MB

What is holding me back? the video?

I'd say both gfx and cpu.

What CPU do you have really? There are a few X4's at 2.3GHz.

Probably a phenom 1 9600 Agenia would be my guess.

If its a black edition you ought to be able to put it upto 2.8~3.0Ghz if i remember right with out much of a issue, although higher then that things start to get iffy.

like munch said your 9500GT is on the slow side of things. with 32SPU (Cores) its way below the standard that you would want for ww2ol, about 96 to 112 Cores. or a 8800GT/9800GT, today most cards are running 216SPU to 338SPU, so you can sorta see why 32 cores is really low.

But there are some nice video cards out there for about 130~160$

this is a extremely good deal for a video card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121393

GTS450, 192 cores!!! Direct X 11!!! 1024MB GDDR5 memory!! for 130$, it'll pretty much tromp any game you throw at it, and obliterate ww2ol as long as your processor is upto the task....and civilization V for free if you buy it before the end of the year... so yay. If i was shopping for a new video card. i would most definantly seriously take a look at that card. I'm sure others have there choices, but that card has everything thats new for 5$ more.

If we knew exactly what processor you have then we could probably tell you what or if you can overclock it, or if you can upgrade the processor to another one with better performance. Use CPU-Z...

(download is on the right, choose 32 or 64 bit)

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

To tell what processor you have exactly. it'll also tell you your mainboard and other hardware. pretty sweet program actually.

I will look at that gfx card you mentioned. looks like a great deal.

I will pull the CPU info, but I am pretty sure i got the black edition of the amd 9600. i am on my laptop right now so i can't get it. if i can OC it a bit then i will try it. my temp runs pretty low as-is.

i appreciate the info. hope to be killing you guys with a higher FPS soon ;)

Don't have to high hopes on overclocking. I could barely get my old Phenom 9850 to 3GHz without overvolting the crap out of it with overheating as a result. So, a little bit you can probably get it but I seriously doubt that you'll get it close to 3GHz.

However. If you're gonna spend money don't just get a new gfx card or a new cpu. Get a completely new system instead. Otherwise it'll only be temporary patchwork and you'll end up spending more in total in the end.

great video card, but don't expect super dramatic FPS increases w/o upgrading the rest of the stuff as well, but it should probably run good with it, and you'll really see what the 460 series can do when you do a upgrade down the road.

i'd fiddle with your proccessor and see what you can get it upto. even a little bit would be awesome.

Ati/AMD is inb with new serie GPU, 6850 and 6870 in just a few days.

Better wait to see reports on what they can do.

Word is, they perform about the same as the current 5830 and 5850 respectively. Most likely to a lower price at that. But, nothing's official yet of course...

The big guns from ATI will arrive in november and december.

Oh, Depending on your power supply, you'll probably need to upgrade that as well when you purchase your video card.

you would want about a 600~700W total power output, with 38~44A on the +12v rail(s) Some power supplies have multiple +12v lines, so add the amperage together to find out the total, some just have one line.

you want at least 18A per +12v line though.

I think they are announcing the new cards in a few days. They won't be out until 2011 sometime.

im ordering a new pc any thoughts on this configeration

WINDOWS HM 7 64 BIT

intel i7- 870 quad core 2.93ghz,1mb L2+8mb sharedL3 CACHE

8gb 1333mhz sdram

nvidia 2GB gt420

1.5TB RAID 0[2 x750tbsata HDDs]

WINDOWS HM 7 64 BIT

8gb 1333mhz sdram

nvidia 2GB gt420

I wouldn't really recommend the 420, it's a low end card more suitable for HTPC's and simpler games. If you can afford to, get a card that's at least a bit better than that.

WINDOWS HM 7 64 BIT

8gb 1333mhz sdram

nvidia 2GB gt420

Intel Core i7 950 3,06GHz Socket 1366 box

DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL7 or 8 3x2GB, Corsair, OCZ

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2

or

Intel Core i5 760 2,8GHz Socket 1156 Box

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 or Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4

DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL7 or 8 2x2GB, Corsair, OCZ

same for both

Noctua NH-D14 Cooler (BIG) or Noctua NH-U12P

nVidia 460 or Ati 5850 or better

Intel SSD or Samsung F3 1 TB as first drive for game and Windows

Windows 7 64-bits Home Premium or better

an DVD burner

Dual video cards is no use in this game.

Both Cpu can be overclocked.

Have that i7 system @ 3.8 GHz myself, just waiting for what new GPU to get.

Thanks for getting back to me i'm not sure if i can change the video card as this box is a HP oem, and the card does serve my editing needs the question is what kind of frame rates will I get and will I be able to enjoy the game? I know there will always be a better machine, how do you think this one will preform? thanks again

Muzzy

I heard what you guys said so I canned the oem deal. I once purchased a alienware in 2006 and had big problems with it and sent it back. So I decided to take a chance with Cyberpower

Xion predator 970 series

INTEL CORE I-870 2.93 GHz 8m smart cache lga1156

HDD 1TB SATA-III6.0 GB/s 64 cache 7200 rpm HDD[1TB x2[2TB CAPACITY]RAID 0 EXTREME PERORMANCE

8GB DDR RAM/1600MHz dual channel memory module[+104] corsair

CROSS FIRE X GIGABYTE GA- INTEL P55A CHIPSET DDR3 ATX MAINBOARD W/ 7.1 AUDIO Gblan

nvidia GeFORCE GTS 450 1GB 16X PCLE video card [+31]EVGA POWERED BY NVIDIA

700WTS POWER SUPPLY LIQUID COOLED 5 FANS ETC.

I HOPE THIS IS ENOUGH let me know what you think

THANKS AGAIN

Looks ok Muzzy. What I would do if spending all that money is push it another $60 and they give you a 460 over a 450

You could drop the extra 1TB drive to pay for it if required and get an external later for backups or internal.

Never been a huge fan of raid 0

It puts your data across on two drives - What this gives is much more data throughput so if your doing video editing etc or shift large amounts it works well.

It also means your OS and data is striped across two drives so if you have a problem with one then the whole system goes down.

Of course with one drive if it fails then your stuffed - unless you have a bootable copy made every month onto a second drive or at least a backup of data no matter what you go with.

If you've got the extra go for the Raid 0 , just make sure you backup all data (as always) with another drive.

Edited by badger77

I am now in a similar boat.

I am looking to go the i7 870 route rather than the 950. Microcenter has both chips at the same price, but the 1366 mobos are pricier for what looks to be a pretty similar perf between chips.

Right now I am looking at a i7 870 cpu, mobo, gtx460, and 8gb of ddr3 1366 for under 700 bucks. I think I can swing that.

I am now in a similar boat.

I am looking to go the i7 870 route rather than the 950. Microcenter has both chips at the same price, but the 1366 mobos are pricier for what looks to be a pretty similar perf between chips.

Right now I am looking at a i7 870 cpu, mobo, gtx460, and 8gb of ddr3 1366 for under 700 bucks. I think I can swing that.

The price for an 870 or 950 is about the same but you get higher busspeed with 950 - 2500 against 4800

Power supply?

You should be able to salvage your current rig by adding a 1 gig vid card. I've got a similar setup and just adding a cheap 1gig 250 GTS boosted my FPS to a playable(but not great) level.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0