Subscription (non-plan rate) being raised to $17.99

174 posts in this topic

Well just off the top of my head

STO = 14.99/month

WOW = 14.99/month

EVE = 14.95/month

warhammer = 15.99/month

AOC = 14.99/month

And yes those are not war sims but you get the genral idea. About 15.00 month is avg for most games. And all have service plans that give you a discount for multi month subs. Big diffrence is they give you a choice and dont have wild increaces in price if you dont join there plans. And yes $3.00 is a big jump in price.

I can add some to that list

POTBS = 14.99/month

AH2 = 14.95/month

NF = 9.99/month

I see no worthwhile plans for the future.

Heh. CRS shares specific plans with us, and we rake them over the coals when events intervene (financial, technical, supplier, whatever) and they don't meet schedule or have to adjust plans.

CRS stops sharing specific plans with us, and we still rake them over the coals for trying to avoid us slamming them for not meeting schedule etc.

CRS: to work there, you gotta be either a masochist, or motivated by the grand vision of where this unique game's progress is heading, or maybe both. icon7.gif

RAFTER and MOTOR excellent plan if you ask me!

I have abolutely no problem with this plan as long as it helps CRS, seriously.

For me it is way more important to see the game survive and grow over the coming years. I will upgrade my bronze builders account to a gold one soon anyway because I want to additionally support the game development.

Anything that helps the game is good IMO, if it is a new subscription plan, then this is the way to go!

Good idea and well thought out plan!

I can add some to that list

POTBS = 14.99/month

AH2 = 14.95/month

NF = 9.99/month

Do you guys want to get more FREE updates over the coming years as you received over the last years??? Did I mention they were all FREE???

But the price increase comes at a time when numbers are already down and i see no worthwhile plans for the future. I would think you guys understand that most people don't give a **** about new infantry models or new trees. I guarantee if you make RDP bombing relevant again you will get an increase in subscriptions.

^^ Oooo! THIS!

I just realized that the "gimme or I unsub!!!" crowd just got wtfpwned.

lol

Really? Well I for one never asked for any of the changes in the last two years, doubt that? check the post. I didn't ask for 1.31, I liked 1.30, but I spent 700 bucks on a new rig just so I could run 1.31, lag free, I didn't ask for fru's, but got them anyway. I did ask for "fix some bugs", still can't drive a beddy out to anywhere without the black out bug, how old is that one? This is not, gimme or I'll unsub for me, already out the door, have my unsub verification email in the inbox. Its not that 3 bucks a month is that much money, its The idea that I have to pay it or lock in on a plan. We are kinda funny about freedom of choice here stateside, the rats should know that, especially in Texas,

Ya me despido

Do you guys want to get more FREE updates over the coming years as you received over the last years??? Did I mention they were all FREE???

Some other MMOs provide free updates (Eve Online for example). Others charge for updates (WoW) but in that case the updates provide far more new content than any single update I've seen for this game so far. It may not be fair, given the difference in size of dev-teams, but that is what your average gamer will use as reference.

Besides, there was a donation campaign for the "free" updates recently. What is going to happen if donations don't cover the costs and once the increase in monthly fees has had its effect on the numbers of active subscriptions?

Just out of interest if you got a gold or even Platinum account what would happen if the game folded a year down the line, do you get money re-funded or is it the chance you take?

Just out of interest if you got a gold or even Platinum account what would happen if the game folded a year down the line' date=' do you get money re-funded or is it the chance you take?[/quote']

LOL, I think you know the answer to that.

My problem, I know chances are I'd still be here 6months or a year from now, I've been here since Oct 01, but I can never underestimate CRS's ability to totally screw something up.

Like for instance, back when air models were redone back in... oh late 02 or early 03 maybe. They added vis damage to bombers and twin engine planes first. Then they worked on the fighters. New models flew a lot more like planes and less like an arcade game. The old blen IV flew a lot like the new Hawk 75 before it got the update. So CRS fixes every plane except one and puts out a patch.

The one plane that didn't get fixed, the triwing 09 which was already ridiculous. This totally ruined the game for me. It was like a million space invaders were flying against a couple WWI planes. The game was worthless for that month or two for me until they finally added the new 09. I sent CRS at least one email a day saying I wanted my money back for a month and unsubed. Never had one response. Not even an acknowledgment that it might have been a bad idea (well at least not until I went on a visit there a year or so later and got a "hey it wasn't my idea it was our last game manager").

I could come up with 30 things like that, which is why I always said there is no way I was prepaying for this game. I have zero faith in them to make decent decisions regarding gameplay. The main problem back in the summer of 01, low pop opel rushes were the Allies would lose 50 towns a night. The main problem now, low pop ruining an otherwise pretty stable map. Ten years and they haven't fixed the most basic problem with the game. I'm not prepaying for that.

Its been a good ride, I definitely don't regret most of the first 6 or 7 years. It was as much fun back in the day as any other game I've played. I hope their new payment plan is every bit as successful as their China development cycle.

Well I hate to see people go. And yes there are bugs in the game that should have been killed years ago - at least in my feeble interpretation.

And I paid for the infantry update already. Twice.

And I don't even play squishy ffs.

BUT I have been an annual subscriber since I first joined, because I have always seen the value in it. I will continue to do so until I no longer feel the desire to play. The only reason I don't have a builder's account is the money it costs, but I may opt for bronze this year.

Fix your bugs Rats please. I know you hear this crap all the time, and I'm sorry to brow beat you with it, but for your own credibility you need to.

And please understand I say what I do with no malice. I feel I am a big supporter of Battleground Europe.

This game will survive or not based on two things - CRS's ability to deliver, and it's audience's ability to see the broader vision and continue to support the developers.

Lets face it - subscriber's have been beta testing this game on the live server since it's initial release(in a very real sense). BUT we knew that then, and we know it now. An extra couple of bucks a month doesn't kill anyone. It's good value for the entertainment I get (when I'm not cursing my opponent :P)

I am not opposed at all to a small increase. But I am just one person. Trouble is that in a case like this one, one, two, three or 20 unsubbers in a month likely does make a difference.

Rant ended for now. Not even sure of my point.

LOL, I think you know the answer to that.

My problem, I know chances are I'd still be here 6months or a year from now, I've been here since Oct 01, but I can never underestimate CRS's ability to totally screw something up.

Like for instance, back when air models were redone back in... oh late 02 or early 03 maybe. They added vis damage to bombers and twin engine planes first. Then they worked on the fighters. New models flew a lot more like planes and less like an arcade game. The old blen IV flew a lot like the new Hawk 75 before it got the update. So CRS fixes every plane except one and puts out a patch.

The one plane that didn't get fixed, the triwing 09 which was already ridiculous. This totally ruined the game for me. It was like a million space invaders were flying against a couple WWI planes. The game was worthless for that month or two for me until they finally added the new 09. I sent CRS at least one email a day saying I wanted my money back for a month and unsubed. Never had one response. Not even an acknowledgment that it might have been a bad idea (well at least not until I went on a visit there a year or so later and got a "hey it wasn't my idea it was our last game manager").

I could come up with 30 things like that, which is why I always said there is no way I was prepaying for this game. I have zero faith in them to make decent decisions regarding gameplay. The main problem back in the summer of 01, low pop opel rushes were the Allies would lose 50 towns a night. The main problem now, low pop ruining an otherwise pretty stable map. Ten years and they haven't fixed the most basic problem with the game. I'm not prepaying for that.

Its been a good ride, I definitely don't regret most of the first 6 or 7 years. It was as much fun back in the day as any other game I've played. I hope their new payment plan is every bit as successful as their China development cycle.

I thought you would never leave bro.:) But yeah I agree with ya for a change. I know I know will wonders never cease.

Still think this thread should be over in the main PS fourm. But at least a sticky put there to redirect ppl here.

It isn't even good business sense. Yeah it seems at first, but do they really want a bunch of pissed off people riding out their last three months talking trash on the forums and in the game? You want a bad environment to keep new players, see what it is like with 4 or 5 really vocal guys who are super mad they got suckered out of 3 months of subscription.

And new players either have to pay $18 or commit for 6 months? We have a hard enough time getting new players. Hardly anyone will do that when the norm is $15. And the game isn't that fun for me who has been here from the start and know what I am doing. For a new guy who doesn't know what they are doing it won't be more fun than games they can get for less.

There are very few that do, sadly. They'd rather scream and complain about the now rather than the future, incredibly short-sighted and unable to see why it is happening.

If $3/pm increase ($36/py) is enough to make you quit the game, you either have ridiculously bad financial skills/screwed up priorities/already have a waning interest in the game. Most of the complaining aside from maybe one or two instances is nothing other than the same old people who whine about the game/game direction using it as an excuse to be loud and unsub despite their unsubs being either inevitable or already crossing their mind for other reasons.

The only thing sadder than unsubbing over a very minor and now explained price increase is paying that much a month to spit bile about the very game you play.

Didn't the game use to be $10 a month? I remember people throwing the same fits when they raised the price to $13 a month.

I don't mind the increase in price personally, as I'd like to see the game get more funds for development so we end up with a better game.

However, I am concerned that this will end up backfiring as new players get sticker shock. The majority of the gamers I've showed the game to liked the concept and thought it would be fun, but had no intention of following up because they don't believe they should have to pay monthly for an FPS game when there are so many others they can play for free online.

The only way to break that barrier is with some kind of free play system that entices them in and encourages them to become invested in the game personally. Once that happens they will either see why it's worth paying monthly for, or they will not enjoy it enough to spend much time playing on the free account anyway.

That's how the free play system succeeds, because there's not a lot of middle ground - Anyone who doesn't like the game won't waste a lot of bandwidth playing it anyway, and anyone who does like the game is going to like it enough to pay for it.

Microtransactions also appeal more to people because it's easier to impulse buy in whatever amout they feel comfortable with. Locking oneself into a monthly subscription feels like a commmit not everyone is prepared to make. Even more so with a system that encourages long term subscription over monthly subs.

Since we removed the need for a credit card to sign up for a trial account, the number of people creating them has tripled. Now we have to work on retaining them and getting them to convert. We're still looking at the Free Play model and how we'd employ it.

When WWIIOL was created, micro-transactions weren't even on the radar in gaming, so the system isn't built to handle those. It would require a lot of work on billing and auth to get it to that point. It's another thing we're looking at, but, again, we have to be cautious as to how we would implement it.

As to those "simple bugs", those little jerks are sometimes the most difficult to pin down. We don't stop looking for them and we hope to find more of them. We know they're a pain in the ***, and they drive us crazy, too.

Since we removed the need for a credit card to sign up for a trial account' date=' the number of people creating them has tripled. Now we have to work on retaining them and getting them to convert. [/quote']

Trying to force people to commit for several months is not the way to do it.

Here is an alternative that might actually do what you want:

First 2 weeks are free (trial).

The next month costs $8 (considering the amount of bugs and obsolete graphics this is more realistic than $18).

The second month (non-consecutive, meaning that the second month of gameplay started after a 5-week break will still count as second month) costs $15, the third $20. At that point players will either make up their mind to leave or buy a prepaid subscription.

To fund the low initial costs increase the prepaid plan prices somewhat and tell the veterans that your new pricing plan is guaranteed to bring in new people which will make the game better.

The result: you get more initial subscriptions, you retain more subscriptions and you get similar amounts of money over all.

Edited by mrfancyp

Price isn't the problem for me, it's the direction of the game and whether I want to commit money for future months when the game may be everything I hate by then. FRU's are just one example why I am so hesitant on locking in anything for the future. We are suppose to lock something in NOW when the game is at the point it's at or we have to pay more for waiting to see if certain things will be fixed. I wont pay more. That is not an option.

EDIT: I'll tell ya what I'm going to do. I'm not paying 17.99 a month and I'm not locking anything in for an uncertain future when it's already been a long time and haven't seen fixes to critical issues. Now with the new FRU and the fact its ruined the game for me, I'll let my sub run out and IF the fru and few other issues are ever fixed I'll return and resub for a 6 or 12 month plan. Otherwise, I see the game going down hill with bugs and the new unlimited FRU but I see the monthy sub going up. The idea is to get new players into the game and raising the price is IMO not the best way to do it.

Edited by stdyhand

Ouch .....thats pretty steep

Not saying I cant afford it but watching everything from chips and beer and gas skyrocket I think that alot of people will

A) be outta the fight cause they need food stead of this game (even though the best pvp fps out there its still not perfect if it was I give you 20 a month)

B) I dont know what other pay to play games charge this much seems out of pace with the rest of them in my opinion

C) The trend in online gaming is free 2 play (most are not really but some are) in a market saturated in mmorpgs and more coming out the steep charge will have some of us trying other games

Being that this is a one of a kind game I see charging more (needs to be fixed alot more if you wanna go 3 buck increase this aint gasoline we talking about here)

With that said its also a niche game that probably lost 1/3rd the playerbase @ the very least when CRS went live with 1.31/ragdoll .....I dont think trying to make up that money on those that have stayed is a good policy

I say this with no bad intentions just in hopes that you reconsider before chasing any more payers .....I mean players away as game cant stand much more of that

I recently read a yahoo article that said most MMO's are lowering their price..

My thoughts on this game is that its one of the cheapest forms of entertainment there exists, so the money is not really an issue. The main issue is that you guys have a price increase without news of any important new features. If you guys said that you were making a new set of planes or were reworking the strat war i would be happy to pay to 20$ a month since im in texas and have to deal with that sales tax.

But the price increase comes at a time when numbers are already down and i see no worthwhile plans for the future. I would think you guys understand that most people don't give a **** about new infantry models or new trees. I guarantee if you make RDP bombing relevant again you will get an increase in subscriptions.

The only way i will resub next month is if i can have a reasonable idea of what's on the horizon for this game. I mean seriously, in the past few years you guys have ruined the air war with A.S.S., gheydar, ammo counters, bionic ears, FRU's, limited AO's, weather (big one right there), and totally neutering the RDP aspect of the game.

the airplayers are here to pay for the counterstrike-kids their fun

Price isn't the problem for me, it's the direction of the game and whether I want to commit money for future months when the game may be everything I hate by then. FRU's are just one example why I am so hesitant on locking in anything for the future. We are suppose to lock something in NOW when the game is at the point it's at or we have to pay more for waiting to see if certain things will be fixed. I wont pay more. That is not an option.

This!

I wouldn´t think twice for going another long term account if the game would go a bit into another direction. Sry to say, but all those "free updates" is something i don´t need (would be glad to stay still in 1.26 or so). All the following updates was just reducing fun - didn´t got a new vehicle anyway; oh well, i´ve stated in several posts already, so no need for another statement.

But Stdyhand is holding a valuable point - paying for a long term subscription means nothing but you have to agree wherever the game will went. Once i thought it is a smart idea, but i´m afraid now i know better.

I think the raise and fixed plans comes in very bad time. Like other has said atm there is nothing in the future plans that could warrant such a price increase to montly rate. Also the current course of the game to more arcade approach doesn't help a bit.

Eventhough I still enjoy the game from time to time, it's very hard to me convince myself to continue my sub.

the airplayers are here to pay for the counterstrike-kids their fun

I wish it was just the air players but there wanting even us old school ground pounders and tankers to flip for it as well.

EDIT: I'll tell ya what I'm going to do. I'm not paying 17.99 a month and I'm not locking anything in for an uncertain future when it's already been a long time and haven't seen fixes to critical issues. Now with the new FRU and the fact its ruined the game for me, I'll let my sub run out and IF the fru and few other issues are ever fixed I'll return and resub for a 6 or 12 month plan. Otherwise, I see the game going down hill with bugs and the new unlimited FRU but I see the monthy sub going up. The idea is to get new players into the game and raising the price is IMO not the best way to do it.

This.

Already talked to some of my friends who were originally interested in the game, you can say bye to that. They loved the concept, but lack of overall players and now charging more than most MMOs?! They said no, and I might also. Too many bugs atm to even dare ask for more money, oh and then theres the new cell phone plans.

If we are paying more, what exactly are we getting in return? Will I still CTD about every other sortie? What about the lag, will I still die to a guy who hasn't turned the corner yet?

If you honestly are trying to get more players, then this is the absolute worst way to go about it. Most MMOs now are either dropping their prices, or the new fad free2play. So instead you charge more? If we couldn't get players here because of the free trial credit card mess, what makes you think they will give their credit card to actually pay the money?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0