Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghostrider

SOB...my computer problems wont stop!

8 posts in this topic

So yesterday I finally completed my new computer build after about a month or more of screwing around with my old parts and new parts.

Yesterday I received my brand spanking new AMD 6850 in the mail. The thing was working pretty amazing. Tried a few different games all at max settings and they all ran pretty smoothly. Then today I was messing with some settings in WW2OL. I think i had just changed my sound option from software to hardware because all the sounds in game were crackly or just sounding corrupted. Restarted the client and clicked to spawn in and BAM! computer shuts off and I start smelling burning electronics.

So now I've got the card out and I'm running off my MBs onboard gfx. Guess I'm going to have to RMA this.

yup i'd try a RMA

and i'll be damned if you don't have the absolute worst luck with computer parts i've ever seen lol!

-indo420

That's weird really. I've built computers for 10 years now and I've never had something like that happen, ever.

Only had to send two motherboards back because they just weren't compatible or up to promised specs.. but that's it.

Must have been something seriously wrong with the card if it fried that quickly.

yup i'd try a RMA

and i'll be damned if you don't have the absolute worst luck with computer parts i've ever seen lol!

-indo420

I have worse luck when it comes to PSUs, had five defective ones in 7 months across 3 manufacturers. Haven't had it happen with the one I've been using for about 10 months but I have three still in unopened boxes because I'm so damn paranoid now.

Yeah, I've had to replace two PSU's this past year - and that's alot for me. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to swap out power supplies due to failure over the past 20 years of building my own computers.

That's some seriously bad luck as far as the new card goes. Should be a really quick "sorry for the inconvenience" type replacement. I wish you luck on this one. Bet you paid a pretty penny for it too. I'd be choked just dealing with the inconvenience.

I assume you ensured your power supply was up to snuff as far as reccomended specs for the card/board/chip combo? Sorry for the potentially redundant question, but it begs asking.

I have worse luck when it comes to PSUs' date=' had five defective ones in 7 months across 3 manufacturers. Haven't had it happen with the one I've been using for about 10 months but I have three still in unopened boxes because I'm so damn paranoid now.[/quote']

Got to buy the QUALITY brands, I know i've said this time and time again, but my enermax power supply has been goin' since 2004, bud420's (this is indo420 on buds account) since 2005. Vodka's got a enermax from some crazy time ago still powering a POS computer (its a 350W enermax)

sister,brother in law..ma's computer all using enermax power supplies, all going strong never even a hiccup out of them.

Enermax,Seasonic...maybe corsair is all i'll look at.

ought to take a pic if you havent already shipped it off

Edited by bud420

Got to buy the QUALITY brands

I only buy quality brand PSUs, current one is an OCZ. Enermax and Corsair PSUs account for three of the blown PSUs (One was a POS Rosewill and the other was the original OCZ)

I assume you ensured your power supply was up to snuff as far as reccomended specs for the card/board/chip combo? Sorry for the potentially redundant question, but it begs asking.

Yea i had just replaced about everything in my computer after my MB and gfx failed in my old computer. I was using a 650w PSU. Not the most powerful PSU but should be more than enough. Besides it was working for almost a full day. Having too little power would probably just mean the computer wont power up or would power down after a short time of use....not fry.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0