Need help optimizing my system

9 posts in this topic

I have:

Fresh Windows 7 Installation

3 GB RAM

AMD Athlon 64 2.4 GHz Processor, Dual Core

Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT video card

I currently have Spyware S&D installed.

I am getting as low as 9 FPS in larger battles with much smoke. I need moar. much moar.

Sadly enough there isn't much you can do. That CPU is old and at the very low end of what's playable, hence the low performance.

Are you running 32 or 64 bit windows?

3 GB ram makes me wonder, how is that setup really? A full spec would be preferable, I bet you're not running the memory in dual channel mode and that will hurt your performance a bit.

Turn all eyecandy off in windows, set it to best performance to save memory.

Set everything to the lowest in both the game and in the gfx card settings. Also set the low memory option ingame.

Try to find some tool that shuts down all unnecessary services in windows while you play, all again to save memory.

See if you can overclock that old CPU a bit. This will make the biggest difference of all, but I'd recommend to get a new CPU really.

What's your motherboard?

Sadly enough there isn't much you can do. That CPU is old and at the very low end of what's playable' date=' hence the low performance.[/quote']

I was afraid of that.

Are you running 32 or 64 bit windows?
32 bit.
3 GB ram makes me wonder, how is that setup really? A full spec would be preferable, I bet you're not running the memory in dual channel mode and that will hurt your performance a bit.
PCI-e 2.0 I think...as for dual channel mode, I have no idea.
Turn all eyecandy off in windows, set it to best performance to save memory.

Set everything to the lowest in both the game and in the gfx card settings. Also set the low memory option ingame.

I'll try that.
Try to find some tool that shuts down all unnecessary services in windows while you play, all again to save memory.
Alrighty, ill see what I can find. Thanks much!
See if you can overclock that old CPU a bit. This will make the biggest difference of all, but I'd recommend to get a new CPU really.

What's your motherboard?

No idea what the motherboard is. I'll check.

Edited by MadTexan

you could usually get those processors upto ABOUT 3.0Ghz depending on what specific type it is.

move your ram sticks to bank 0 and bank 1 (it will say on the mainboard) and that ought to enable dual channel.

you might also have to enable it manually but that will be in your bios.

you could usually get those processors upto ABOUT 3.0Ghz depending on what specific type it is.

move your ram sticks to bank 0 and bank 1 (it will say on the mainboard) and that ought to enable dual channel.

you might also have to enable it manually but that will be in your bios.

Since it's 3 GB it probably won't be possible to get dual channel mode. I've never heard of 1.5 GB sticks... If it is 2x1GB+2x512MB it MIGHT work but I doubt it...

I've seen people mention gamebooster which shuts down unnecessary system processes and will free up other resources.

It's not a game haxxxor

Wow...gotta get home and try these.

Thanks a ton!

Unfortunately I haven't had the willingness to tear it apart again to see what the motherboard is. I think I can safely say: it's old. Some kind of Asus too, so not even an oldie but a goodie.

Wow...gotta get home and try these.

Thanks a ton!

Unfortunately I haven't had the willingness to tear it apart again to see what the motherboard is. I think I can safely say: it's old. Some kind of Asus too, so not even an oldie but a goodie.

You can download and run CPU-Z to find out what motherboard you have, you don't need to open it.

Depending on what board you have it might be possible to get a faster CPU that will help a lot.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0