• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

new iMac

16 posts in this topic

I now have a 27in iMac at the office with the ATI Radeon HD 5750 in it.

Very nice, screen is gigantic. Refurb at $1529 would make a nice choice for the game.

Once I have it setup I will see its like.

I have the older 27" with 512 4850 in it, Quad I5 and 4gb Ram.

I think it is a great computer. I run at 2560 by 1440 and balanced mode. Usually get about 30 fps, but drop in the 20s in crowded areas.

So how is it. I hope to get one, once the new ones hits. It will be my first mac.

JT

Welcome to mac. You won't go back.

This is what I have been running for the last 8 months.

1 gb vid 5750

8 gb ram

i7 quad core.

Still with all this...it seems to be laggy at times with the fps.

when in balanced mode.

I never see beyond 60 fps perhaps 70...

Usually regardless of most situations it stays in the 20-40 fps area.

This is totally anecdotal.

I will be interested too see how awulf tests it out.

best

elf

"I never see beyond 60 fps perhaps 70...

Usually regardless of most situations it stays in the 20-40 fps area."

This is exactly what you want. Anything beyond 60 is worthless. Remember that movies are 24 fps and TV is something like 30.

What I still see on occasion is sluggishness down to 12 for no apparent reason which often then goes away. Our app has so much math in it that optimizations from the compiler can speed up or screw up at odd times. The GCC compiler I use for Mac is pretty ancient and isn't known for being all that speedy, but it's pretty consistent. The Intel compiler the PC uses is sometimes really fast, really slow or really buggy depending on the version and the processor (as in non-Intel sucks).

I want to move to the new Apple compiler, Clang, but it's fairly new and such a change would require a ton of testing first. Given I am the only rat person with a Mac and thus the only tester there it's not something I want to do lightly.

"I never see beyond 60 fps perhaps 70...

Usually regardless of most situations it stays in the 20-40 fps area."

This is exactly what you want. Anything beyond 60 is worthless. Remember that movies are 24 fps and TV is something like 30.

What I still see on occasion is sluggishness down to 12 for no apparent reason which often then goes away. Our app has so much math in it that optimizations from the compiler can speed up or screw up at odd times. The GCC compiler I use for Mac is pretty ancient and isn't known for being all that speedy, but it's pretty consistent. The Intel compiler the PC uses is sometimes really fast, really slow or really buggy depending on the version and the processor (as in non-Intel sucks).

I want to move to the new Apple compiler, Clang, but it's fairly new and such a change would require a ton of testing first. Given I am the only rat person with a Mac and thus the only tester there it's not something I want to do lightly.

What, only 1 power outlet?

And grats on the new rig. You'll be able to spot ea 5km out AND identify them :)

Imagine if it was a 27" blueberry imac... how heavy would that sucker be...

Do you have VSYNC on? That changes things. Prior to this last release w/o VSYNC I would get over 100 but only out with no one around. Can't remember in heavier areas, but it was still good, guessing 40s? Now I play with VSYNC on and get 60 some of the time and 30 most of the time. Though, in the heavy battles it gets in the mid to low 20s.

Movies and TV have motion blur to help make up for their low sampling. On the computer, even at 60FPS, objects moving quickly across the screen strobe quite a bit, just move your mouse cursor around to see this effect. Compare that to moving your finger around the screen at the same pace and you'll see 60FPS is nothing like what your eye can perceive in the real world.

Funny, I have sort of informally came to a similar conclusion. While playing, I can almost tell now when I go under 30 fps, just something is not right. It doesn't always happen, and probably only happens at the lower 20s.

And, while it is steady at 60 the screen just seems more fluid. Now and then I get into battles while my FPS stays near 60 and it does seem to be different, not really sure if it is, but it does seem to be. So, I now think that maintaining 50 to 60 is the way to be, while above 30-40 is ok and under 20 to 30 is playable but not really that good.

( and to think I used to play at 15 going down to 4-6 in big battles! )

Oh, one more question, does turning off ones HUD help the FPS? I can't tell because then I can't see the FPS box. But, I now turn off all screen items when in battles, just enabling it for a second to look at map, then it's back off.

The HUD definitely eats up some CPU time, how much I don't know, but things are a bit smoother with it off.

On my rig under OSX the HUD uses about 2ms per frame. On some PCs it can be 20ms or more while others its 2 which makes little sense, although people with AMD seem to get this more often.

If we didn't show the FPS I think you wouldn't notice the difference between 30 and 60. 20 probably though.

Vsync should be on always as it avoids the screen tear that makes the game look uglier. That you can really tell.

The only real game difference is that the keyboard and mouse/stick is only checked once per frame so the lower the fps the fewer checks are made. But there is very little you can do in the game in 33ms that is different than doing it in 15ms

We can beta test with you if rats agree to have a closed or even open beta mac version that is separate from the mainstream versions, until you get it sorted out. Ask around, who knows, they might even agree with the idea.

I now have a 27in iMac at the office with the ATI Radeon HD 5750 in it.

Very nice, screen is gigantic. Refurb at $1529 would make a nice choice for the game.

Once I have it setup I will see its like.

I have the very same model since August 2010 with 4GB RAM. I am very pleased with it. Excellent gaming experience. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0