• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
svt40

Jeep update.

13 posts in this topic

Well it's been a long while since I updated the progress (or lack of) on my 1942 Ford GPW.

After a little bit of troubleshooting we found that the light switch was broken. So I took it apart and repaired it and the final result was fully functioning lights! Yay.

Headlights

DSC00725.jpg

Black out drive lights.

DSC00724.jpg

Then came the move from Florida to Texas after retiring from the US Navy.

DSC00728.jpg

After moving to Texas my jeep sat outside for almost a year in a friends back yard. Quiet and forlorn sitting under a tarp. It was a sad time...

I then was able to store it where I worked at a welder repair shop for about a month. During this time we got her running. She was not drivable due to some timing issues but I did finally get yo drive it around the parking lot for the first time after 6 years of ownership. Then just as sunddenly it made a loud knocking sound and I thought it had spun a bearing!

A few more months pass by and I finally have it stored at my apartment and have a chance to tear it down to see what was wrong with the engine.

So as I pulled the cables off the carburetor I see the choke butterfly fall down into the carb! Seems the screws had come loose. This is the view I was greeted with.

DSC01036.jpg

So now the cause of the noise seems fairly obvious. Rather than a full rebuild of the engine requireing removal from the jeep we just pull the head to inspect the combustion chambers.

This is what I was found there.

DSC01030.jpg

It was one of the screws for ths choke butterfly. Embedded into the #1 piston. Good news is that it can be blended and will not require removal of the piston. So now I have to order some parts and reassemble the motor sans the screws in the chambers and get her running yet again.

DSC01034.jpg

DSC01032.jpg

your lucky you didnt ruin your motor there.

I assume they will flatten out the embedded screw?

Screw has been removed and I will blend out the dmg to remove any high spots then just button it back up once the new head gasket arrives. Picked up new screws for the carb. Damn they are tiny! 2-56 is the size!! Along with a good bottle of RED loctite.

Couple hundred dollars later and I have some parts in a box ready to install. Ended up picking up a new head gasket (of course) a new timing cover because I plan to pull it off and check the fiber gears for wear, a bellcrank rebuild kit since mine basically has a chunk of pipe where a precision shaft should be, a brand new speedometer and cable and some touch up paint.

The repro speedo was pricey but much much cheaper than an original by several hundred dollars.

Well put the head back on and torqued it down. Checked the timing and all the timing marks were dead on. Did not even have to pull the front timing cover. The distributor however was 120º out. So I pulled the oil pump and rotated it until the dizzy was properly timed.

So with no radiator or anything I see if she'll crank up and run. DAMN the battery is too weak. 2 days on my trickle charger and the 6volt is back in top form. Step on the start switch and whaawah........whaaawah......... Bah back to the same starter problem I had before. I turn the dizzy 10º forward and step on the start switch. Whaachunck, whachunck. Hmm too far advanced so i turn it back 20º and repeat the sequence. Whaawah boom....whaawah boom. Turn the dizzy back another 2º and she starts up after some protesting! She idles up for a second then promptly dies. This repeats 3-4 times before the starter gets too hot to go any further for the night.

I come home from work today and hop in the jeep. Pull the throttle lever out about an inch, pull the choke out and step on the accelerator pedal twice. I then step on the start switch and she starts up instantly! Talk about excited. But then she promptly dies again... So I pull out the idle adjust screw (which had some oil on it??) spray some carb cleaner into the hole on the carb and then open up the fuel tank (after a LOT of fighting with the cap) Put the idle screw back in and close the tank back up and she starts instantly and purrs along nicely. No backfiring when you give it some gas, oil pressure running at about 50psi cold and then it happens.

The entire garage begins to fill with the most acrid smoke I'd ever smelled. All the paint from the new exhaust and muffler starts burning off... That's enough for tonight.

Well it went from this.

th_MOV01039.jpg

To this in just one weekend. Seems the transmission is in need of some dire help as is the transfer case and rear differential. Just never seems to end....

DSC01043.jpg

Well took the transmission and transfer case apart. The transmission is toast. The only parts salvagable are the synchro cluster and the case. The transfer case only had some thrust washers and bearings jacked up on the intermediate gear cluster, and the front output shaft bearing was completely worn out. The yoke had almost 3/4 of an inch of play up and down when not engaged in 4WD!

I got the parts and put the transfer case back together and it all looks good now. The transmission is still sitting in a bucket while all the new parts ($$) sit on my coffee table waiting to go back together.

Meanwhile another new item arrived at the Svt household. A nice MG-42 Lafette tripod! Pics will be posted later.

Edited by svt40

Well here she is all together and ready to load up for her first time on the road in who knows how many years.

DSC01119.jpg

Transmission was installed last weekend and on Friday I rebuilt the brake master cylinder and installed the top bows, rear seat, fenders, some footman loops, mirror and mirror arm and the fuel gauge.

It was a long and expensive road with still many more miles to go to get her where I want her as far as a resto goes. This would be considered a re-enactor grade resto.

It had some teething troubles on saturday as well. Blew out the low beam to my drivers side headlight. Engine kept stalling out when I'd press the clutch in to come to a stop. She did not want to shift into 2nd gear very often. I also blew out my drivers side rear shock! Guess it may have been the curb I went over, or maybe the ditches or the big rock I crawled over. Who knows. She had plenty of power and no trouble climbing hills or anything I do still need to do some further tweaking on the brakes so they stop me on a quarter rather than a dollar bill. Four wheel drums aren't going to stop on a dime.

It was a long and expensive road with still many more miles to go to get her where I want her as far as a resto goes. This would be considered a re-enactor grade resto.

As opposed to what other grades?

As opposed to what other grades?

Re-enactor resto is a basic cosmetic and mechanical resto that lets you drive the jeep. $8-10k resale value.

Motorpool resto is a non matching jeep restored to how it would have been in the field during the war. $10-14k resale value.

Factory resto is an all matching jeep restored to the same condition as the day it left the factory. $15-25k resale value.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0