Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bill2

Time to build new rig: I need Help

12 posts in this topic

My old desktop just aint doing it anymore....The game has evolved in which the current cpu and vid card are at or below min requirements.

It has been 3 years since my last build, so I'm unfamiliar with cpu's, vid cards and MB's....My budget will be $1500-2000......of coarse less will be better. Dont need monster rig as this is only game I play

CPU...AMD or INtel (i5 or i7) 4 or 6 core? How much memory or better yet how much will be useless to have?

Vid Cards- Radeon or Nvidia...not a clue anymore...have had both in past...good results with both...latest one was an Nvidia

Appreciate any advice...My main goal is to play this game at a high level and not to have to rebuild or upgrade for a few more years

My old desktop just aint doing it anymore....The game has evolved in which the current cpu and vid card are at or below min requirements.

It has been 3 years since my last build, so I'm unfamiliar with cpu's, vid cards and MB's....My budget will be $1500-2000......of coarse less will be better. Dont need monster rig as this is only game I play

CPU...AMD or INtel (i5 or i7) 4 or 6 core? How much memory or better yet how much will be useless to have?

Vid Cards- Radeon or Nvidia...not a clue anymore...have had both in past...good results with both...latest one was an Nvidia

Appreciate any advice...My main goal is to play this game at a high level and not to have to rebuild or upgrade for a few more years

well getting a Quad core is probably minimal to get a good lifespan off of your build.

AMD is a good route to take for price vs performance, although the intel i7's are faster, its not by much on single threaded applications (apps/games that only use one core of the processor...like ww2)

your looking at 140~200$ for the best line of AMD Quads (Phenom II)

The 955,965,970 Series are all the same exact processor, the base multiplier (what determines the clock speed) is just set higher by default, So you can save some cash and get a lower series processor (like a 955) and set it up manually to run at the 970 series speeds (3.5Ghz) or even higher like i think 90% of us have done with our phenom II processors (mines at 3.6Ghz right now, but sometimes i run 3.7 or 3.8Ghz)

Both the Nvidia 4xx and ATi 5xxx series are awesome cards, The GTX460 seems to be the sweet spot for performance Vs price though. coming in at about 200$ For a vanilla edition.

4GB is a good spot to sit at for system memory, although you would want to make sure you have a mainboard with 4 slots for memory at least, so down the road, you can pop in more ram on the cheap and keep your rig upto date.

a SLi or Crosfire board (Sli for Nvidia, Xfire for Ati) might be a good option for a little bit more future proofing, while ww2 doesn't take advantage of SLi, every other game made today does.

Even Need For speed World (a free online mmo racing game) takes advantage of SLi these days.... (whats your prob ww2? lol ) and its Multi threaded (again...damn ww2) So its advantageous to get a board just to have the ability to run multi card set ups down the road.

I don't know how many times i have to stress this, but getting a quality power supply makes more of a difference then most everything else, PSU supplies everything, and the higher quality PSU you get, the higher the stability of your system, the longer your parts last, and performance is also markedly better Vs a cheap knock off PSU. Overclocking is better on a quality PSU as well.

If you want a straight parts list, i can swoop one up for you in the 1,000~1,5000$ range...lower being better

These days though, 1,000$ on a gaming computer gets you a hell of alot.

Thanks for the reply...It will surely make my wife happy that I do not have spend more than what I had been planning on.....If you could post a basic parts list that would be Awsome...again, the only game I have played since 2002 has been this one ( I know get a life ;) )...I just like playing with everything maxed out with decent FPS

Thanks

Bill2

i just bought a new gaming comp and it was only about $700

im using amd Quadcore 4 gig memory 430watt psu and my card is nvidea 450GTs paid $115 at fryS im running med to high settings in ww2ol max RES and i get smooth gameplay +almost always 30+fps with these settings the only time it does drop is when there are lots of people around but even then i get more then 20Fps with is still smooth Gameplay i dident even spend too much for my system and it runs Great :D

As of now I looking hard at his set up....SO far priced out complete at around 1300

AMD x4 965

ASUS Crosshair IV MB

Sapphire 5870

8 Gig Crucial Mem

Crossair hx 750w PS

crossair h70 cooling

coolermaster HAF932 case and a bunch of other peripherals, drives ETC

When you only play wwII, where the CPU is more used as your Grafic Card, I would take one of the new Intel CPUs I5-2000. You can clock them up to 4.5-5 with Air cooling alone. A Nvidea 460 GC should be enough for this game same with 6 gig of ram and a ~500w Powersupply (Enermax,Seasonic).

As of now I looking hard at his set up....SO far priced out complete at around 1300

AMD x4 965

ASUS Crosshair IV MB

Sapphire 5870

8 Gig Crucial Mem

Crossair hx 750w PS

crossair h70 cooling

coolermaster HAF932 case and a bunch of other peripherals, drives ETC

looks good to me, Those X4 965s will hit 4.0Ghz no real big sweat if you honestly wanted to take it that high, but the fps between 3.7 and 4.0 is negligible

You should really link the hard drive your wanting so i can make sure its a good one, you really want a hard drive with 64MB cache, 32MB is okay, 16MB on a hard drive is horrendus, and usually people go with the 16MB cheap version of drives, instead of investing into a nice HDD... the load times can be pretty damn good. I beat bud420 by 13 seconds loading ww2ol, and hes got a 16MB hard drive (1,000TB) I've got a 64MB 500GB drive.

I might look at a 6870 series though or at least a 6xxx series ATi card. They are slightly better and about the same price.

If that Asus board does SLi only i might go with a Nvidia card, If its Crossfire then i'd stick with the ATi cards

Them cards can get 60~80$ cheap on ebay used or 2nd hand, and the performance gains in other games are sweet.

Edited by indo420

The Hard drives I'm looking at are 64mb cache...I wont go any less on them and the MB does crossfire only...I just hope the PS will be enough as in the future I maywant to add another gpu

Edited by bill2

The Hard drives I'm looking at are 64mb cache...I wont go any less on them and the MB does crossfire only...I just hope the PS will be enough as in the future I maywant to add another gpu

two 5870's ?

yea it'll run it assuming you don't have a discotec light show going off inside the computer case

Core i7 2600K rocks with this game .. Clock it to 4.7 Ghz.. Equal to a Amd 5.7 Ghz per core

You can get the i7 2500K for about $200

My fps never drops below 50 now...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0