• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cooljoe224

Xbox controller and some questions

3 posts in this topic

Hello, I heard using the mouse and keyboard for flying is extremely hard so I would like to use my Xbox controller to fly.

The problem is I cannot key map the Right trigger button to the main gun of the plane and when flying or taking off, the sensitivity is too high and I end up going in circles on the ground, or flying out of control.

I would also like to know what the diagonal line with a red square in the middle is, in the "Joystick" section of Preferences.

If I cannot fly accordingly, I might home my skills in infantry fighting, and/or tank driving, but there is no option to control the infantry with a joystick or in my case a controller, can you use infantry with a controller?.

Also why do I get randomly logged out of this forum?

Thank you.

Edited by cooljoe224

I use a PS3 Dualshock myself, with the MotionInJoy driver. It works well enough for flying although it's still a far cry from a proper joystick.

For the trigger button, I'm not very familiar with the xbox controller but if it's like the L2/R2 buttons on the PS3 controller then it's considered an axis (z) by default, not a button. In MotionInJoy this can be reconfigured.

The thumbsticks on these gamepads have a very jittery response and short travel, which means you have to be a bit "gentle" on it. Also, planes in BGE are fickle and unforgiving creatures.

Tweaking the calibration settings helps, which is that preferences screen you found. The box represents a half axis, with far left being axis 0 (centered stick) and far right being axis maximum. If you move the left green bar you expand the axis deadband, which is helpful with reducing the thumbstick jitter. The right green bar moves the max cutoff, so if you move it you'll reach max response with less stick movement. The curve between them, controlled by the red dot, represents the response of the axis as you move the stick from center to maximum. If you pull the red dot down, the response will be softer near center and steeper further out. Opposite if you pull the red dot up.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thank you, but now I'm experiencing a problem where I deploy on the battlefield and the game crashes to desktop. Would fiddling with Msconfig solve this problem?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0