Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

1.33.0.11 Read Me Testing

GOPHUR

==================================

World War Two Online - Open Test

==================================

Version 1.33.0.11 (02-24-2011)

Aircraft Gun Convergence:

- audited all minimum convergence to be 100m (was up to 250m)

- convergemnce ranges standardized 100m to 800m

Infantry:

- Infantry specular and normal maps now light correctly from muzzle flashes

- UK Inf art completed

- FR Inf art completed

- FR Para art completed

- Fixed Rifle Grenade cup attach and fire issues

- Fixed white rifles

- Fixed jpose while reloading prone and looking around with the mouse

- Fixed UK mortar floating off hand

- Paras no longer deploy if their ride despawns on the ground

- Crouch and stand now share the same move/aim animations

- Satchels now working correctly

- Adjusted attenuation for normal mapped muzzle flashes

- Deleted old emote system (only .ammo works now),

Audio:

- Increased sound sttenuation distance (can hear stuff farther)

- Fixed weapon trailing sounds

Misc:

- Fixed smoke grenade artifacts after despawn and respawn

- Improved fonts

- updated map icons for performance

- Fixed Bell 14a prop spinner going inviso (need to check lots of these)

- Updated capture feedback text to be more clear

- AAR now differentiates between player, AI, and "non" kills

- Put live a likely fix for Mission Results Pending

Aircraft convergence ranges standardized 100m to 800m? May we adjust below this? Currently there are alot of pilots that use 75 to 90m.

I currently use 120 to 150 depending on which aircraft I am flying. Will this be still possible?

S!

dab

Edited by dabar0n

Aircraft convergence ranges standardized 100m to 800m? May we adjust below this? Currently there are alot of pilots that use 75 to 90m.

I currently use 120 to 150 depending on which aircraft I am flying. Will this be still possible?

S!

dab

Hell I use 80 for the 109E and down to 60 if I want to turn and burn in a Spitfire 1. Looks like I am so out of luck :(

Hell I use 80 for the 109E and down to 60 if I want to turn and burn in a Spitfire 1. Looks like I am so out of luck :(

Not necessarily...this is beta. We test for a reason.

Stop screwing with things that are not broken CRS.

There are a lot of people that use <100 convergence

There is absolutely NO reason to break this. Fix it back, NOW.

I'm curious myself.

109E1 350

109E4 120

109F2 225

109F4 150

109G6 75

FW190 150

Bf110 (both models) 400

Will we be able to use personal settings like these.?

• Registered Users
Stop screwing with things that are not broken CRS.

There are a lot of people that use <100 convergence

There is absolutely NO reason to break this. Fix it back, NOW.

And you were actualy getting 100m or more. In other words it was broken but as you could "set" it below 100m and as it did'nt reject the setting you assumed you had 75m or 50m.

Never assume nurf until you get the full story.

http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showthread.php?t=355723

I'd realy suggest everyone assume the best rather than the worst all the time cause in all likely hood that's gonna cause you less stress :)

i notice a considerable distance between 90 and 60 on certain planes. Other planes like the spit1 it seems like you cant go below 120.

I'd realy suggest everyone assume the best rather than the worst all the time cause in all likely hood that's gonna cause you less stress :)

unfortunately that doesnt work all the time. Remember the 109 "fix". It was supposed to make everything better but it ended up causing people to unsub. I remember questioning it before it was implemented and all i hear was "This will only change stick input and nothing else".

I wonder what minimum convergence settings were in real life as there is obviously a minimum convergence possible due to the way the guns are fixed into the wings.

The code covers a convergence range of 0 - 800m (that's the entire range available)

Because setting 0 causes weird bugs to occur, the bottom end of that range (user selectable) has to be a positive interger (for evidence look at a destroyers guns when range is set to 0)

Additionally, because less than 50m is ridiculous (we have tested it and even when set *AT* 50m the guns are only useful at 50m, with the target as little as 10 or 15 meters beyond that; the cross over post convergence point defeats you getting almost any hits on the target) ... so anyway the original coders that made all this, they chose 50m as the actual bottom end or minimum (it trumps the 0->49m the base code would allow in the 0->800 full range of the base engine code) ...

BUT

There is a data line in every aircraft's data component file which clamps the bottom or minimum convergance you can use. While some were set to 150m, and a couple of others at 200m (why was never documented but I have a theory that isn't important to our decision) ... this minconvergence over rules any other minimum that the code otherwise allows.

The lowest in any aircraft data file was 100m. None were lower than that and ALL have this line in them. So while you were for years routinely setting .conv 75 you were getting 100m. In the case of those with 150m or 200m then THAT was as low as they would be able to be set to.

In the case of those that had 3 different settings (The Bell Mle.14a for example had 3 different mimimums) unless you set the convergence at the high number (200m) you were prevented from getting all the guns to converge no matter what you chose.

This is clearly not very good. It means you cannot get a good concentration of gunfire although it does give a better shotgun effect at the cost of less bullets hitting the target. Bell pilots will find once they adjust their style or method that the guns will be more deadly now at convergenace, unless they routinely used 200m or more in the past.

So anyway, we decided to standardize them to give all pilots feeback that is consistant in all planes and that makes sense or follows a logical method, as well as better convergence fucntionality. We chose 100m because obviously, that was the lowest you had available for all these years. We're not making this up.

The Bf109E-1 is a good example. Because the weight of fire (only 4 x 7.9mm RCMGs) being light, players naturally set them short for the best firepower (as long as they weren't shooting at long ranges, which increases misses anyway) ... however the lowest you can set those (if I am to believe the code) is 150m, as this is the data minimum entered in it's component file.

The Bell Mle.14a had 1 setting for the RCMGs (100m) a different one for the .50's (150m) and another different one for the Hispano 20mm (200m) ... not good unless you want one gun to hit and all the others to converge at a different range.

So now you can set any planes guns to all converge at anything from 100m to 800m. some planes already followed this principle, eg: the Spitfire Mk.Ia had all guns minimums set at 100m

Oh, final note: the "200m default" is just so that ... if you don't set a convergance yourself, this is what you will get (in all planes) and it actually represents not just the best average of short and long convergences ... but the average of the ranges used by actual operational squadrons in WWII.

(the RAF favoured 225 yards in fact)

Late in the war the USAAF increased their convergence ranges because they had the K-14 lead computing gunsight and pilots at this time were being trained in gunnery that used 300 yards as their "best" range and 600 yards as their maximum effective range (with .50cal HMGs)

We obviously expect some to struggle at first because they have both years of ingrained habits related to "how I get hits when I shoot" (deflection, both vertical and horizontal) and because they will see what it is they believe, whether or not it is true.

Those that take a little time to understand what we have explained with this change, and spend even a little bit of time adapting to it (if needed, some won't need to adapt at all and these are the real sharpshooters already) .... I suspect the end result will be more kills and less damages. Expecting that improvement immediately might be a tad too much although I have no doubt some will achieve it.

Remember that in air combat, range from the target is always in flux, it is never constant. Picking a convergence that meets the most common "shooting distance" depends on the pilots style of flying and fighting (and shooting) ... and the shorter the range you pick the narrower is your range of variation from the target.

The reason why 200m is most often given as the best average is that it works from 50m to 350m, or even 400m if you're good and steady and your target is steady as well.

What you gain doing ->this<- you probably lose when the target does <-that-> ... it's an eternal compromise.

Work with it, find the compromise that suits you best.

You can select anything from 100m to 800m, in this sense nothing has changed from before. Ranges you selected that were less than 100m were clamped at 100m anyway. What changed was those planes with different "clamped" minimums for multiple gun pairs were all set to be the same rather than have differing combinations. That's all we changed.

PS: Cavalier - while I don't know what the mechanical limitations of each aircraft were in terms of hardware limited minimum convergence, in the RAF the standard they were actually set at was 225 yards, in the USAAF 250 yards (1942->1943) and 300-350 yards (1944->1945) and in the Luftwaffe it was 150->200m. Pilots didn't get to select thier own unless they were very special people.

Wisdom. On the forums. Huh.

You can be my wing man anytime.

Pilots didn't get to select thier own unless they were very special people.

and we are all very special people :)

Wisdom. On the forums. Huh.

You should subscribe to every one of my threads. I am walking wisdom.