caydel

How to Run WWIIOL Flawlessly in Linux - 1.33 Update!

26 posts in this topic

In 2008, I wrote the original How to Run WWIIOL Flawlessly in Linux post that is stickied in this forum.

With the new 1.33 release, and the updates to Wine over the last 2.5 years, it's time to update that post. However, given that it was edited by a Rat (presumably to sticky it), I no longer have the ability to modify it.

As it currently stands, the game is very close to running perfectly in vanilla wine. Unfortunately, there is still a persistent mouse problem. Luckily, at this point there is a patch that hopefully will go into Wine within a few releases that will fix this.

1. Download the source code and patch it.

(Easy way) Download my pre-patched Wine 1.3.15 source, and extract it.

(Advanced way) If you are comfortable with Git, check out the latest copy of the Wine source code, then apply the latest patch from http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6971

2. Install the build dependencies

Depending on your distribution, the exact packages you need to install to compile wine may differ. Please reference the Wine 'Recommended Packages' page to get a list of packages you have to install for your distribution before compiling Wine.

For Ubuntu, Fedora, & SuSE, the easiest way to do this is to download and run http://winezeug.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/install-wine-deps.sh as root (e.g. with sudo). Right-click on the link and [save link as]. To run it use:

$ sudo sh ./install-wine-deps.sh

3. Compile the source.

Once you've installed the build dependencies you need, you're ready to compile the package. In the terminal window, after having navigated to the extracted source code, run the following commands:

$ ./configure$ make# make install

The last command requires root privileges. Although you should never run Wine as root, you will need to install it this way.

4. Install Battleground Europe and enjoy!

As the title says, just download and install the game. Happy hunting, and let me know how it goes.

Edited by caydel

Hey thanks for the work you've done with all of this. Trying to rid myself of the dual boot.

That tarball of prepatched source appears broken.

xxx@xxx:/opt/wine$ sudo tar xvzf wine-src-1.3.15.tar.gz

wine-src-1.3.15/

wine-src-1.3.15/documentation/

wine-src-1.3.15/documentation/ChangeLog.BETA

tar: Skipping to next header

tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Edited by dalessio

Hey thanks for the work you've done with all of this. Trying to rid myself of the dual boot.

That tarball of prepatched source appears broken.

Yes... yes it is. My local copy works, but something must have gotten borked on the upload. At least, the filesizes are different. I am re-uploading the archive now.

Thought I shoudl add a fault that hits people doing this ..

err:module:attach_process_dlls "opengl32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting

err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files

This sorted itself out after an unplanned reboot, drivers from ATI actually had not loaded.

Sweet thanks. Now I don't have to worry about the buggy network configs that I have in windows and can just bypass all my previous problems and find completely new ones.

Just udpating.

As of Wine 1.3.20, WWIIOL runs flawlessly, no mouse issues or anything, apart from spotty joystick support.

W00T :)

Just udpating.

As of Wine 1.3.20, WWIIOL runs flawlessly, no mouse issues or anything, apart from spotty joystick support.

W00T :)

caydel, what do you mean by saying "spotty"? I was unable to get any response from 2 different sticks (Saitek ST290 Pro & Logitech Extreme 3D Pro).

caydel' date=' what do you mean by saying "spotty"? I was unable to get any response from 2 different sticks (Saitek ST290 Pro & Logitech Extreme 3D Pro).[/quote']

Spotty means I've never tried a joystick, but I've heard both positive and negative feedback on whether they work.

Note: In WineCFG, try changing your Windows version to Win2000 if you have the 'stuck mouse' problem.

Spotty means I've never tried a joystick, but I've heard both positive and negative feedback on whether they work.

Note: In WineCFG, try changing your Windows version to Win2000 if you have the 'stuck mouse' problem.

True, mouse is OK in Win2K. Stick still not working though :(

Yesterday I decidec that F**K Windows and installed Ubuntu 10.04 into my home desktop.

Today I started installing some games into wine.

1.3.28 Wine + WW2OL 1.33.4 are working out-of-the-box, only 'tweak' I had to do was winetricks and netframework installation. And win2000 setting from wine cfg.

And I am total noob in linux!

Yesterday I decidec that F**K Windows and installed Ubuntu 10.04 into my home desktop.

Today I started installing some games into wine.

1.3.28 Wine + WW2OL 1.33.4 are working out-of-the-box, only 'tweak' I had to do was winetricks and netframework installation. And win2000 setting from wine cfg.

And I am total noob in linux!

What stick U use?

What stick U use?

Currently don't use any, I have one but I did some research and it might be painfull to get it working.

Tried to get apt-get install jscalibrator but it seems that it's not anymore with ubuntu. So I play at ground only untill I figure out solution.

Performance is actually pretty much the same than I had in win7 64bit... And I use radeon, and ati is worse in linux than nvidia, or atleast that what I have heard.

Tested Thrustmaster hotas, and linux does recognize it and I can calibrate it, but game doesn't. I think that problem might at at wine.

Running vanilla wine 1.3.15-0ubuntu5 on linux mint 11

Laptop with:

8 core cpu

16 gb ram

2 tb hdd

2 gb video

Getting frame rates in the 130 range offline. Mouse seems a bit sticky with infantry but I have not played with the settings.

Tried to get online with the welcome back soldat promo and I get a fatal error with playgate.exe

Has anyone else run into this?

And for the love of gods: when will there be a naval update?!

Sorry for the previous low contrast... have not posted for almost two years.

Running vanilla wine 1.3.15-0ubuntu5 on linux mint 11

Laptop with:

8 core Intel cpu

16 gb ram

2 tb hdd

2 gb video Nvidia

Getting frame rates in the 130 range offline. Mouse seems a bit sticky with infantry but I have not played with the settings.

Tried to get online with the welcome back soldat promo and I get a fatal error with playgate.exe

Has anyone else run into this?

And for the love of gods: when will there be a naval update?!

I am getting that fatal error as well and so the game does not load.

Tried under the latest Linux Mint Debian Edition and Opensuse 12.1

I had it working a couple of years ago under Opensuse 11.(something)

And the other sucky thing is that there is no working download link for playgate.exe. The support FAQ for windows recommends some compatibility tweaks and a reinstall of just playgate... but the link is broken. :rolleyes:

Interesting to note that my best results are under vista compatibility.

Edited by viking76
spelling

So, I'm just coming around to this topic again after a few years away from the game.

Currently, 'Offline' mode works perfectly under Wine 3.2. However, Playgate has a bit of trouble communicating with the auth server. I've filed an upstream bug with the WINE project.

I have to imagine a dev could probably figure this out in pretty short order as they know how both ends of the auth system work. This is likely all that is standing in the way of full playability under Linux at the moment.

this help at all?

10.6 Networking

10.6.1 My program fails to do networking, but my other applications can get online

Note: These instructions are for older Wine installs. If you're using Wine 1.x and your application still fails to do networking, you can give this a try as well. If you're running Wine 1.x and below instructions work for you, file a bug so we can fix Wine to improve other people's experience.

You need to make sure that your hostname resolves to the IP address of your network interface. To verify if you have this problem run hostname -i. If it returned IP address starting from "127." then read on.

To set this up correctly, you can type the following from a terminal:

hostname 

This will return your hostname the way your computer sees it. Now, you need to open an editor with system administrator privileges, how you do this will depend on the distribution you are using. Open the file /etc/hosts and see if there is an entry for your hostname. Assuming your hostname is "yourhost" and your network IP address is 192.168.0.23, the entry might look like this:

127.0.0.1 yourhost.yourdomain.com yourhost 

Change this to (or add, if there is no such line):

192.168.0.23 yourhost.yourdomain.com yourhost

For most Windows games with networking problems, this is all you need to get networking to work.

10.6.2 Why doesn't DNS resolve in 64-bit operating systems?

Many distributions don't provide all the 32-bit compatibility libraries that wine needs. In this case, wine needs 32-bit DNS libraries. On Ubuntu/Debian, this package is libnss-mdns:i386. For other operating systems, the package name may differ. Consult your distribution's support channels.

13 hours ago, merlin51 said:

this help at all?

10.6 Networking

10.6.1 My program fails to do networking, but my other applications can get online

Note: These instructions are for older Wine installs. If you're using Wine 1.x and your application still fails to do networking, you can give this a try as well. If you're running Wine 1.x and below instructions work for you, file a bug so we can fix Wine to improve other people's experience.

You need to make sure that your hostname resolves to the IP address of your network interface. To verify if you have this problem run hostname -i. If it returned IP address starting from "127." then read on.

To set this up correctly, you can type the following from a terminal:

hostname 

This will return your hostname the way your computer sees it. Now, you need to open an editor with system administrator privileges, how you do this will depend on the distribution you are using. Open the file /etc/hosts and see if there is an entry for your hostname. Assuming your hostname is "yourhost" and your network IP address is 192.168.0.23, the entry might look like this:

127.0.0.1 yourhost.yourdomain.com yourhost 

Change this to (or add, if there is no such line):

192.168.0.23 yourhost.yourdomain.com yourhost

For most Windows games with networking problems, this is all you need to get networking to work.

10.6.2 Why doesn't DNS resolve in 64-bit operating systems?

Many distributions don't provide all the 32-bit compatibility libraries that wine needs. In this case, wine needs 32-bit DNS libraries. On Ubuntu/Debian, this package is libnss-mdns:i386. For other operating systems, the package name may differ. Consult your distribution's support channels.

Sorry but I got no improvement.

Moreover the rest of the window in the login already loaded the page with the discord link.

As already stated it's probably an issue specific of the way WWII get the connection between client and server and not a wine issue

6 hours ago, wiesshund said:

May need to open/forward ports?

If you mean port 27015 to 27021 UDP and TCP, thank you for your help but I got no changes.

Does anyone got this running on linux?

I played it on linux until the end of 2016.

Edited by migal