Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dooom

help - slide show on GPU upgrade

16 posts in this topic

went from 9800 gtx to ati hd6970. wwiiol unplayable now. fps shows 30+ in heavy inf battle but screen is a slide show.

any suggestions for a new ati convert?

Seems you need more CPU.

What is the rest of your computer - it might be possible to overclock it.

you'll have to uninstall ALL the nvidia drivers first before transitioning to ATi.

Can't just install the ATi drivers over top of the nvidia drivers and expect it to work.

I found that out the hard way replacing my 8800 with my 5770.

i thought ATI cards sucked bawls at first, turns out i just had some old nvidia crap stuck in the registry i'd guess the computer was still trying to access.

ATI 6970 under load uses 308W

9800GTX+ uses 277W under load.

Edited by vodka420

Yup, im throwing my complaint in here too.

Im on a gtx 460, I just logged off after getting 15 choppy frames per second in the oostmalle battle. Its freaking unplayable, dropping to 4fps at times.

WTF? why is performance getting worse? Is there a workaround? I am running it on balanced. 1920 x 1200

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

Chipset

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI SPP rev. A2

Southbridge NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI MCP rev. A3

Graphic Interface PCI-Express

PCI-E Link Width x16

PCI-E Max Link Width x16

Memory Type DDR2

Memory Size 4096 MBytes

Channels Dual

Memory Frequency 399.0 MHz (5:6)

CAS# latency (CL) 5.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 5

RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5

Cycle Time (tRAS) 18

Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 24

Command Rate (CR) 2T

Display adapter 0

Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Revision A1

Codename GF104

Technology 40 nm

Memory size 1024 MB

PCI device bus 1 (0x1), device 0 (0x0), function 0 (0x0)

Vendor ID 0x10DE (0x3842)

Model ID 0x0E22 (0x1373)

Performance Level Default

Core clock 50.5 MHz

Shader clock 101.0 MHz

Memory clock 135.0 MHz

Performance Level 2D Desktop

Core clock 405.0 MHz

Shader clock 810.0 MHz

Memory clock 324.0 MHz

Performance Level 3D Applications

Core clock 405.0 MHz

Shader clock 810.0 MHz

Memory clock 1900.0 MHz

Core clock 763.0 MHz

Shader clock 1526.0 MHz

Memory clock 1900.0 MHz

Yup, im throwing my complaint in here too.

Im on a gtx 460, I just logged off after getting 15 choppy frames per second in the oostmalle battle. Its freaking unplayable, dropping to 4fps at times.

WTF? why is performance getting worse? Is there a workaround? I am running it on balanced. 1920 x 1200

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

Chipset

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI SPP rev. A2

Southbridge NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI MCP rev. A3

Graphic Interface PCI-Express

PCI-E Link Width x16

PCI-E Max Link Width x16

Memory Type DDR2

Memory Size 4096 MBytes

Channels Dual

Memory Frequency 399.0 MHz (5:6)

CAS# latency (CL) 5.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 5

RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5

Cycle Time (tRAS) 18

Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 24

Command Rate (CR) 2T

Display adapter 0

Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Revision A1

Codename GF104

Technology 40 nm

Memory size 1024 MB

PCI device bus 1 (0x1), device 0 (0x0), function 0 (0x0)

Vendor ID 0x10DE (0x3842)

Model ID 0x0E22 (0x1373)

Performance Level Default

Core clock 50.5 MHz

Shader clock 101.0 MHz

Memory clock 135.0 MHz

Performance Level 2D Desktop

Core clock 405.0 MHz

Shader clock 810.0 MHz

Memory clock 324.0 MHz

Core clock 405.0 MHz

Shader clock 810.0 MHz

Memory clock 1900.0 MHz

Core clock 763.0 MHz

Shader clock 1526.0 MHz

Memory clock 1900.0 MHz

Try chopping down some of the infantry settings. i was popping a steady 23fps.

AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.8Ghz/4096MB DDR3-1600 (1800 o.c)/ ATi Radeon HD 5770 @ 950mhz/1300mhz

I might go and blame your memory being slow (system memory) or your 4MB of cache on your processor.. but really that shouldn't be a issue and the game should be running fine on a system like that.

REALLY REALLY REALLY need multi core support on ww2ol. this is the root of everyones lag,

We've got dual cores, quads and hex cores, But ww2ol will only use one cores worth of processing power... and when we get to oost with 128 entities to track and what they are doing, a single cores worth of processing power isn't cutting it any more.

and they just keep adding more performance hits onto a application that can't support the hardware needed to pump these extra features.

really we ought to switch back to 1.30 ( i honestly, honestly really wish we were still on 1.30) 1.30 ran awesome. 1.31 ran terrible. 1.32 ran even worse and 1.33 is (you guessed it) running even more worse.

So you can guess where 1.34 is going.

Oh yea openGL 3.2 support in the future..... i'm sure that'll be a excellent lag patch.

Edited by vodka420

just reading up on the thread discussing win 7 64 bit compatibility issues. Maybe I'll find something in that. Freaking game.

just reading up on the thread discussing win 7 64 bit compatibility issues. Maybe I'll find something in that. Freaking game.

all those issues were fixed awhile back.

Tellin' you should delete all your previous registry entries from Nvidia.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Just because you installed ATi drivers, doesn't mean the previous entries from nvidia were deleted.

[edit] oh wait wrong d00d lol.

Edited by vodka420

i am on an e8500 3.2Ghz cpu = 8 gb ram vista 64bit...

ame system which ran wwiiol perfect before except that i swapped out the 9800 gtx nvidia for a 2 gb HD6970

i am on an e8500 3.2Ghz cpu = 8 gb ram vista 64bit...

ame system which ran wwiiol perfect before except that i swapped out the 9800 gtx nvidia for a 2 gb HD6970

I'm running it smooth as hell, and i've got a Radeon HD 5770.

5770's a piece of crap compared with a 6970.

I've got 800 SPU compared with your 1536 Stream Processors

with some rigerous overclocking i've got 1300mhz memory (your 1375) and a 950mhz core (yours is 880mhz).

But my Gram has heatsinks and a 40mm fan blowing on the rear. so its sort of cheating.

e8500 is a great dual core. This game only uses a single cores worth of processing at any given point. and 3.2ghz is the recommended speed. we've walked people with Core2duos through overclocking and they've gotten 3.5~3.7Ghz without modifying the stock voltages or doing any fancy bios settings.

so your processor kicks ***, your video card kicks @#s, your ram kicks a@#.

Maybe its Vista? (I'm on windows 7) but i doubt it really man. I'd say its a driver issue. probably those nvidia drivers still floating around in the registry.

Yeah I don't think you would see a difference from running a 5770 to a 6970 or 580, it is more the processor. I have a GTX 470 and a 965 II OC'd to 3.8 and I very rarely if ever drop below 30. I am usually above the 60 mark. I have a second PC running a Rana x3 OC'd to 3.6 with an ATI 5770 and it does pretty good as well. If you have a decent rig you should NEVER be hitting 5 FPS. I know some tricks that help a bit with Nvidia Control Panel, but am not as helpful with CCC. I do know that disabling v-sync and dropping the inf detail to the lowest possible setting really smoothed out the game for me, and to tell you the truth I can't even tell the difference in soldiers. It is to the point where I finally don't need to check my FPS all the time. Basically though, anything at or beyond a 5770 is plenty for this game, so if you are encountering problems it is usually due to a software problem or a slow processor.

i give up = i am 1 day away from cancelling my account. I have never cancelled since the game launched.

this sucks.

i give up = i am 1 day away from cancelling my account. I have never cancelled since the game launched.

this sucks.

you should be getting at least as good FPS as your 9800..6970 is an outstanding video card and very fast.

you need to do a clean install of your video drivers...and remove ALL remnents of the old drivers.

If your FPS is drastically lower then with your 9800 even after that...well then a clean OS reinstall from scratch 'might' fix it IF it were only a driver problems u couldn't resolve any other way.

It's possible you could have another problem also...hardware conflicts, defective hardware, incorrect settings...do you have a very old M/B? sometimes video cards don't like old versions of PCI express but usually it would just bomb out for not being compatible(yes it's supposed to be backwards compatible..but reports seem to show problems sometimes with some cards).

Edited by Vampress

you need to do a clean install of your video drivers...and remove ALL remnents of the old drivers.

lol he apparently doesn't want to do that for some odd strange unknown reason.

not sure why you didnt think i wanted to do that - i used driver sweeper and even manually deleted from registry all nvidia traces.

no go.

maybe an issue with 6970 and DG45ID mobo for opengl... all my directx games are blazing fast.

I am beat with this - save for full reformat and I am not going to do that for this game- I have 11 years of work and personal files on this PC; reformatting is a rediculously major affair unfortunately.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0