Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
viruses

Windows 7 and BootCamp, Parallel

11 posts in this topic

Alright, I've debated long enough and I've decided to get Windows on my mac. I'm going to use it for gaming and some work.

I looked at this version of Windows 7

and I'm debating if thats the correct version I need.

I'm also debating about if I should buy Parallel or use Apple's Boot camp.

Computer Spec:

Macbook Pro (Early 2011)

2.2 GHz Intel core i7 (Sandy Bridge)

Ram: 4GB

AMD Radeon HD 6750M

the only thing that home premium does n't have that I use regularly is Remote desktop connection. Of course, there are other options available that do the same thing (like always, and free), so home premium should be enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

Parallels is a very nice piece of software, seamless work from the little I've used it. Boot camp is functional, and that is it, but it's frustrating to have to reboot for any little thing you want to do that only has a windows version.

A while back i have trid both. Bootcamp is the way to go. Parallels was not reallly able to handle the game well.

A while back i have trid both. Bootcamp is the way to go. Parallels was not reallly able to handle the game well.

Would you say your able to majority of PC games on bootcamp?

Would you say your able to majority of PC games on bootcamp?

Bootcamp makes windows run natively. Yes you can run any game that would be able to run on the hardware you have.

Just remember that if you want it for other things, bootcamp requires a full restart of your machine to use one side or the other. And you can access the windows files on your mac side, but not vice versa (due to the ability to read hard drive formats)

Never use parallels or vmware for gaming, the video is too slow. If you get bootcamp, make sure you update the drivers, Apples' are usually ancient.

I use bootcamp on that exact laptop. Experience way better fps. I'm never below 30.

I have 4 guys at ATI trying to figure out why one opengl function on the Mac runs like molasses. It has to do with the sun glare. It can take as much as 40% of the Mac frame rate away. Baring this we would be on par with windows frame rate. The way the PC does the sun glare doesn't even work on the Mac (for no good reason) so this alternate had to be used. Hopefully they will figure out something.

Baring this we would be on par with windows frame rate.

?? sun glare doesn't even phase my computers frame rates at all

?? sun glare doesn't even phase my computers frame rates at all

Sun glare code happens all the time, even indoors. It does make a difference vs windows. Haven't heard anything from ATI though...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0