Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sonofmac

INTEL or AMD?

10 posts in this topic

I hope too soon update Family/Business computer in hope of adding a second WWIIOL account.

Current system has:

Gigibite MOBO

Intel E7300

4 Gig Ram

NVIDIA 7900 GT

Up until the above build I always used AMD for builds because of price but my limited opinion is I like INTEL better - cost MIGHT be an issue though so it would be great to hear BOTH perspectives.

I will be updating to Windows 7 Professional when I update the computer.

Must be an NVIDIA card (I like them)

I currently play on a Sager Laptop that has the following in it and the only problem I have with all settings maxed out is that my X52 won't fire when I press the trigger in hi player density (grnd & air) area dogfights (a slight drawback - lol):

Intel i7 X980 DESKTOP Processor

12 Gig Ram

DUEL NVIDIA 460 mobile cards

Thanks

I hope too soon update Family/Business computer in hope of adding a second WWIIOL account.

Current system has:

Gigibite MOBO

Intel E7300

4 Gig Ram

NVIDIA 7900 GT

Up until the above build I always used AMD for builds because of price but my limited opinion is I like INTEL better - cost MIGHT be an issue though so it would be great to hear BOTH perspectives.

I will be updating to Windows 7 Professional when I update the computer.

Must be an NVIDIA card (I like them)

I currently play on a Sager Laptop that has the following in it and the only problem I have with all settings maxed out is that my X52 won't fire when I press the trigger in hi player density (grnd & air) area dogfights (a slight drawback - lol):

Intel i7 X980 DESKTOP Processor

12 Gig Ram

DUEL NVIDIA 460 mobile cards

Thanks

multiple video cards won't do anything for you here (except allow you to connect more monitors) and there is at least anecdotal evidence that SLI hurts rather than helps performances. Otherwise I would say you shouldn't have any issues with a set up like that.

I have both a 2600k z68 and 2500k P67 for Primary and second accounts.

16 GB of RAM each

SSD on primary box

ATI 6970

Both absolutely devour this game.

I also own a Phenom 945 box and a handful of Core2Duos Boxes with a sprinkling of C2D laptops, A C2D 8400 iMAC and a PPC iMAC.

The new i7 and i5 are by far the most awesome of them all that I own.

I was sometime ago wondering the same could AMD the choice again. Then I went trough numerous tests and final conclusion is that INTEL still holds the cards for gaming. Sadly it's still that... I would have been eager to change the brand after so many years.

If you really want AMD then you have to wait few more month for their new Bulldozer core to start selling. If it has to be right now then go for Intel.

Get what you can afford. It doesn't take much to run this game as far as video cards. If you wanted speed for a CPU I'd say go with intel. No matter how fast of AMD cpu I get it never seems like enough in this game. I started with a 2.7ghz AMD..then a 2.8..then I got my 3ghz 940. It still wasn't enough so I overclocked my 940 to 3.4ghz. It is ok for the most part but still slows down when the fighting is heavy. My next build will be with all intel products.

for NV video cards game plays good on a 560 TI...very much faster then your 7900 gt(which crawls in binocs views).

normal 560 is cheaper and should be pretty good too.

after the 570 the cards get crazy expensive

ACtually...you should get the VIDEO CARD FIRST and try it in your system you have NOW. you might decide you actually don't need an upgrade yet...I've used a 7900 gt and it's slow in game.

Like someone else said, you don't need to spend a lot of money if your building a box primarily for this game. The Sandy Bridge processors are great, but you don't really need one. I have a Phenom II 965 oc'd to 3.8 combined with a GTX 470 and I do great. I never drop below 35, and most of the time I am doing a lot better than that. It has gotten to the point where I don't pay any attention the the FPS meter anymore because it is a non-issue for me at least. As far as an SSD, it does help with boot times and Windows, but it isn't going to give you any better frames. They are nice to have, but are anything but necessary. If I had to guess, you could build a new box to run this game at a high level and only spend $5-600 or less depending if you can scavenge anything from your current box.

Thanks folks. I lot of good insight here so far. Looks like I will stick with INTEL and upgrade to an i7 -but maybe tcheck into the suggestion of replacing the video card first, but I'm thinking I'm going to want to upgrade the MOBO, CPU & Memory because I'm going to have to do it pretty soon any way, and I'm positive I will need a bigger power supply no matter what I do.

Yeah, I stopped using the box with the 7900GT a long time ago, it is pointless to try and use here - It was my oppertunity to buy the Sager. Now I possibly have the oppertunity to upgrade the old box for a second account. I Hope!

RATS - Thanks for moving thread to the correct forum - sorry about that.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0