• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjb52

Some computer help part deux

7 posts in this topic

Alright, so on my desktop I'm having a bit of a problem. One of those fake virus scanner things popped up along with a bunch of programs that requested to access the interwebs. I stopped all of the programs before they made a connection with the web thanks to zonealarm firewall, and quickly did a full system scan using malwarebytes. It found a bunch of things and deleted them, but I had to reboot to complete the process.

Now here is where I'm having issues. It starts to reboot, the bios loading screen comes up with the other familiar screens like the one for the mobo etc. However, it goes and stops on just a black screen with a flashing cursor. Not able to input anything, just a black screen with a blinking white cursor. Right before this, you hear the cd-drive clicking or activating or whatever you want to call it.

Any ideas?

the BIOS isn't able to locate/load the OS. Need to do a restore if you have a backup disk, or repair with the windows install disk. If you don't know how to use the repair console and don't have a backup to restore, you'll need to reinstall the OS.

Had the same thing a few months back, actualy got it off a Medical site while trying to determine what was up with my eye (torn retina).

Luckily I have 2 HDs with seperate OS' on this rig that I can cross access but they can't individualy write to each other unless I want them too.

Soo I booted to the other drive and cleaned the main one of the nasties.

But yea that's a wicked nasty one that even black screens in safe mode.

Had the same thing a few months back, actualy got it off a Medical site while trying to determine what was up with my eye (torn retina).

Luckily I have 2 HDs with seperate OS' on this rig that I can cross access but they can't individualy write to each other unless I want them too.

Soo I booted to the other drive and cleaned the main one of the nasties.

But yea that's a wicked nasty one that even black screens in safe mode.

The people that make these things should be shot. Starting with the ankles.

ONce your system is compromised the best thing to do is nuke the h/d and reinstall the OS...just pray you didn't get some sort of bios or other 'hardware' virus to go along with it.

even the very BEST of the BEST can't guarentee with 100% certainty after an infection they have gotten everything cleaned up...and these are people that know systems inside and out. there is just too much stuff out there that there are NO virus definitions for because its too new, its modified, or even its a one of kind(like the centerfuge virus)...

reinstall. i know of the malware you're talking about and i disagree with you. shooting the creator is too painless. they need to be slowly cut to pieces with a blow torch so it cauterizes the wounds and keeps them alive longer.

you've now learned the value of backups. i recommend acronis trueimage to create weekly or nightly differential images of your system drive. just buy a cheap USB drive that is as big or larger than your main system drive. this allows you to do a 'bare metal' rebuild if something goes bad like this and be back up and running in a few minutes like nothing happened.

clonezilla also works great and is free/opensource but is a bit more involved than trueimage.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0