Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frantish

Building new rig advice.

26 posts in this topic

I consider the motherboard the most important part of the system, but the CPU needs to be match it well as well.

Of course video cards are important, but with PCI-e makes it a bit easy to pick.

The rest are easy to pick (SSD for drive)

Is their anything else to consider (or am I completely wrong?)

So, what hardware should I look at?

(I hear ASUS is tops)

asus/gigabyte are the only mobos i use for my own stuff.

also, i know i've been saying this semi frequently, but don't buy anything yet. amd's new bulldozer is 4-5 weeks away. let that come out first and see what happens to the pricing.

amd's new bulldozer is 4-5 weeks away. let that come out first and see what happens to the pricing.

this!

and MSI makes some nice stuff, but Asus is teh uber.

Don't buy open box or recertified stuff...

complete waste of $$$ because most companies just repackage returned items with problems(as long as it turns on...they consider it certified) and play pass the hot potatoe hoping someone will keep it and not send it back...If you can get for dirt cheap locally and has good return policies then go for it but with mail order STAY away from open box stuff.

both NV and AMD are going to have video cards out at some point with the GPU made on a much smaller die process...its going to really make a BIG difference in speeds, capabilites, and power consumption/heat. as it is now even the high end video cards need to run in SLI or tri mode to play dx11 games at high resolutions full settings because the video cards out so far are not that devoloped or advanced due to them not being able to cram more stuff on the GPU die...this die shrink will greatly help that.

right now I probably wouldn't get less then an amd 6950 2 gig video card...or an NV 560TI as minimums for a video card. Those are the sweet spot $250'ish mid range area

for processor for intel you can't go wrong with the i5 2500k or the i7 2600k...the k being important. running on a z68 motherboard...

for an amd m/b make sure it's AM3+ socket

you probably want to get a large capacity H/D to supplement your SSD

Edited by Vampress

Intel i5 3.2 GHZ or better processor and 8 GB memory minimum. I run an i5 550M 3.2 GHZ and 16 GB for the game now. Had an AMD firetrap that cooked the CPU before I installed the Corsair H-50 cooler. Nvidia video card a pair of 512s is better than 1Gb onboard processor. I still run a pair of 512 9800 GTXs from 2007 in SLI mode. Use supplied drivers with your Nvidia cards. Nvidia has a driver of the week club and we all know how that goes. A CoolMaster case is also the way to go.

no, a pair of 512mb cards is not better than a single 1gb card. posting in colored text is really annoying too.

no' date=' a pair of 512mb cards is not better than a single 1gb card. posting in colored text is really annoying too.[/quote']

This ^^^

I have to highlight it just t read it.

I disagree.

First, your power supply is the most important thing you'll purchase. Without quality, clean power, your entire investment is at risk. Not to mention, if you underpower your computer it may fail under load.

Second, I highly advise against using an SSD--especially if you just want a computer to play this game. SSD's are extremely unreliable (at least at the consumer grade that you will likely be purchasing--unless you plan on spending $1000+ on an HD). Using an SSD is overkill for this game and puts all the data on your computer at a much higher risk for catastrophic failure. If you MUST buy one, because you just have to be cutting edge, use the SSD for your OS only and save all your data onto a completely separate drive. This way, *when* your SSD does crash, you'll only have to reload the OS making your life much easier. As far as SSD recommendations, I would stay clear of intel altogether and go with an OCZ Vertex 3. FYI, I have a Kingston SSD that ate it with less than a years use, and my buddy had 3 intels that all failed in less than 2 months--including the replacements. SSD for this game is worthless.

If all you want to do is play this game, you don't need a very impressive computer to get great results. Get an inexpensive i5 or i7 quad (to stay semi-current) and then get something like an Nvidia 240gtx (to stay semi current as well), the 240's can be had new for dirt cheap now.

Your experience of SSD failures is strange. I own 2XIntel postville 80GB SSD for my main comp, and 1 samsung 120GB SSD for my macbook pro, and don't have any problem.

Many friends own older and newer SSD models, and all are very happy with it.

SSD is not very important for the game (just load faster), but very enjoyable when using windows and other softwares.

I saw SSD and HD failures rates few months ago, and Intel SSD are much more reliable than others SSD and HDs :

SSD :

- Intel 0,59%

- Corsair 2,17%

- Crucial 2,25%

- Kingston 2,39%

- OCZ 2,93%

1TB HD :

- 5,76% : Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B

- 5,20% : Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C

- 3,68% : Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

- 3,37% : Samsung SpinPoint F1

- 2,51% : Seagate Barracuda 7200.12

- 2,37% : WD Caviar Green WD10EARS

- 2,10% : Seagate Barracuda LP

- 1,57% : Samsung SpinPoint F3

- 1,55% : WD Caviar Green WD10EADS

- 1,35% : WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS

- 1,24% : Maxtor DiamondMax 23

2TB HD :

- 9,71% : WD Caviar Black WD2001FASS

- 6,87% : Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000

- 4,83% : WD Caviar Green WD20EARS

- 4,35% : Seagate Barracuda LP

- 4,17% : Samsung EcoGreen F3

- 2,90% : WD Caviar Green WD20EADS

And Tom's hardware FR doing a long time testing with a 128GB Samsung SSD, they wrote 250TB on it yet, and the drive is still going very well without any failure...

Edited by carbo

CPU - Intel 2500K

Mobo - ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

Cooler - Don't use the one that comes with the Cpu, these are good

Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Noctua NH-D14

Memory - 8 GB or 16 GB DDR3 1600, Corsair or Kingston (make sure they are low profile, some Corsair has a biiig cooler)

C: - an Intel 320 SSD with 120 GB - it's really way faster to load Windows and programs and this game. Have SSD myself and will never go back to an HD as first drive.

2nd Drive - an Samsung F3 1 TB or other 7200 rpm for other game, programs.

After that all you need is big 2 TB slow HDs for film, music and what ever.

To that get Windows 7 64Bits Home Premium or Pro

Graphic-card with 2 GB Ram,

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-radeon-geforce,2997-7.html

A good PSU is always to recommend - here is why

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html :D

thing about SSD's is they are still expensive and only available in low capacity...

$800 for 500 gigs SSD? or >$2500 for a 1 TB SSD?

you can get a 3 TB HD for <$150

not quite ready for PRIME TIME those SSD's...

I'd spend the extra $$$ a SSD would cost and put it towards a faster CPU, better M/B, faster video card, better power supply....etc.

Edited by Vampress

CPU - Intel 2500K

Mobo - ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

Cooler - Don't use the one that comes with the Cpu, these are good

Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Noctua NH-D14

Memory - 8 GB or 16 GB DDR3 1600, Corsair or Kingston (make sure they are low profile, some Corsair has a biiig cooler)

C: - an Intel 320 SSD with 120 GB - it's really way faster to load Windows and programs and this game. Have SSD myself and will never go back to an HD as first drive.

2nd Drive - an Samsung F3 1 TB or other 7200 rpm for other game, programs.

After that all you need is big 2 TB slow HDs for film, music and what ever.

To that get Windows 7 64Bits Home Premium or Pro

Graphic-card with 2 GB Ram,

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-radeon-geforce,2997-7.html

A good PSU is always to recommend - here is why

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html :D

To the OP:

-A stock cooler is just fine for stock speeds.

-8GB+ of memory is complete overkill for this game. I have 6gb, and, multitasking several other things, I don't even approach 50% usage while playing the game.

-An Intel 320 SSD is a death sentence. I highly suggest you Google "Intel 320 failure rates". There is a known bug which causes very high failure rates.

Bottom line: you don't need a killer rig to play a game on an engine that is 10 years old. If you have other reasons to have a better computer, then sure, upgrade to the limit of technology, but if its just to play this game then save your money.

there is a new bios fix for some of the SSD's out now...

still too expensive for prime time and way to small capacities

there is a new bios fix for some of the SSD's out now...

still too expensive for prime time and way to small capacities

Thats why you use them as OS home and for some programs you want them start fast.

not quite ready for PRIME TIME those SSD's...

i have SSDs in one my SAN devices servicing about 60 VMs. They're quite capable in primetime actually.

anyone hating on SSDs is a fool. one of the best upgrades you can do for yourself.

Googled it:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4244/intel-ssd-320-review

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20653

Don''t see the world ending SSD failure rate you mentioned.

Congratulations, you've just proven that the Intel 320 was stable the day it came out. I'm sure it had an "amazing" failure rate for 24 hours, but since most people intend to use their ssd more than a day, why don't you "Google it" again. Reviews are generally worthless at determining reliability because nobody is writing a review months and months down the road--much less years when all the relevant statistical data has been compiled.

http://serverfault.com/questions/14189/reliability-of-ssd-drives (Calculating reliability)

http://communities.intel.com/message/132168 (Intel 320 Firmware Thread)

You'll never guess what brand the 3 SSD's my buddy owned that died in a month were... or maybe its just that obvious, Intel 320's.

i have SSDs in one my SAN devices servicing about 60 VMs. They're quite capable in primetime actually.

anyone hating on SSDs is a fool. one of the best upgrades you can do for yourself.

Right, I'm sure you are using consumer grade SSD's in your SAN device right? I'm also not sure where are you getting this "quite capable in primetime" statement from because they have yet to be widely adopted in high availability environments.

Anyone that puts consumer grade equipment in high availability servers, or that doesn't know the difference between the two, is a fool.

Right' date=' I'm sure you are using consumer grade SSD's in your SAN device right?[/quote'] actually yes, they're MLC drives. the cost/benefit for SLC just isn't there when for the same money i can build redundancy instead of having 1 'reliable' single point of failure.

I'm also not sure where are you getting this "quite capable in primetime" statement from because they have yet to be widely adopted in high availability environments.

every major SAN vendor has SSD options.

Anyone that puts consumer grade equipment in high availability servers, or that doesn't know the difference between the two, is a fool.

apparently you're unfamiliar with replication and redundancy.

For the record, I haven't had a single SSD fail yet. I'll begin to worry in oh ... depending on growth ... about a year according to the normal wear leveling. In my setup they work as more or less a massive cache for 10 1tb SATA drives in a raid6 allowing me to always write a sequential synced stripe and avoid much of the write problem. Automatic hot/cold (ssd/sata) aging of data or forced hot/cold for certain things.

Pretty solid setup the total IOPs I can serve because of those SSDs is fairly silly and there is never a 'bad' scenario that this SAN can't handle. Random heavy reads/writes the SSDs just destroy. large sequential reads or writes the combined SATA disks don't break a sweat.

Look the intel 320 thing isn't much different than the fluid bearing problem with IBM's old deathstars. Drives have problems, always have, always will but you never buy 'new' technology without reading about it. That said, there are plenty of great SSDs out there that are very reliable.

When you start seeing SSD's in $500 budget computers as the SOLE drive....

then you will know that SSDs have arrived in the mainstream and it's safe to go into the water

they are still way to expensive and too small capacity....when really there is NO REASON for the HIGH PRICE except for excessive profit taking/gouging.

When you start seeing SSD's in $500 budget computers as the SOLE drive....

dumb logic is dumb.

they are still way to expensive and too small capacity....when really there is NO REASON for the HIGH PRICE except for excessive profit taking/gouging.

performance is unmatched. the reason the prices haven't dropped faster is largely because smart phones, tablets, etc all use flash memory too. the demand is really high. further, the capacity per module isn't increasing as quickly as some would like.

buying an SSD now is like buying a high end $600+ graphics card to play this game....

with 64 bit OS's and the ability to address over 4gigs of system ram there is NO REASON whatsoever for any program to have to thrash the HD or SSD for running a program now...and system memory is much, much faster then any crappy SSD with its slow interface

only something such as database type stuff that acccesses large amounts of data would truely benefit from faster HD's or SSD's in a 'meaningful' way. I don't consider load up time to be meaningfull...

and like you say...your PAYING a PREMIUM to be the first adopters for SSD's. with so many devices competing for that flash memory your paying an excess premium...which means your not getting value for that $$$ that you would if u waited untill things caught up and it was mainstream.

the main problem I have with SSD's right now is that to get it in the RIGHT price range you have to give up capacity...which means that only 'some' of your stuff can take advantage of it and you also end up with an extra point of failure....your SSD and your data H/D

Edited by Vampress

i gladly pay a premium for all my apps to launch instantly. i gladly pay a premium for my laptop to use less power and have all the apps launch instantly.

just stop arguing. if you haven't used a SSD cause you're poor and can't afford it well i'm sorry but once you actually use them you will never want to go back to spindle disks for anything but dumb slow storage/backups.

SSDs are the single largest performance upgrade you can do to any system and the upgrade is readily felt by the user.

I had an old 2x 1tb raid setup. Bought a vertex 3 max iops SSD with it and using the raid as storage. The SSD is only for programs. Running @ 515mb/s eats all your guys HD`s with 5x times faster. So don`t come and tell it is expensive because why do you buy a new CPU? Yes because your pc is getting slower. Well try to buy a SSD and you will findout and you are amazed.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0