Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
noobman

Impressions of a noob

11 posts in this topic

hi

I’d like to write about my impressions in three parts, the first one to new players, the second to WWII online veterans, and the last part for any developers who might be interested in my two cents. the following are just my personal opinion and i would be happy if other members of the forums would reply and correct me if i am missing stuff

part1

i'm not sure all players notice the marvel that is the 24-7 campaign map at first. it is changing all the time and is managed by a loose hierarchy of command, on each side, controlled by real people not an AI. You can even read the games news paper in the website and look at the stats of war. The distance between players is much longer in here than regular games and this might cause some frustration if your just switching from a COD type game to this meaning you wont even know who killed you and how but My best advise is don’t give up after dieing, use all of your 14 trail days and then decide on whether you like the game or not and if your still wondering why do people think this is fun read one of my war stories :

after 10 minutes of crawling in a town while I could hear artillery shots around me and planes whizzing by, I entered an enemy building and begun capturing it for my side. An attempt of capture by just one infantry unit can take about 8 minutes which causes a lot of tension since you can die with one shot and would have to try all over again. I used the chat command to ask for help shortly after my commanding officer, “wittman” sent a text full of abbreviations I did not quite understand, but what I interpreted the message to be was “stay calm young Jedi, use the force and stay off of the radio for gods sake” (I later found out I wasn’t using the radio right and was giving away my position). At this point I was slightly disappointed but not 5 seconds later a group of friendly paratroopers dropped by and tried to capture the same building I was in. I was stuck in the middle of something that looked like a 15 VS 15 engagement long story short, I was the last man of my side standing but died when the capture bar looked 99% complete

why was it fun?something similar to this might happen in other games but the whole thing would have been done in under 20 seconds, not giving you time to experience the drama.

part 2

I found the community to be friendlier than I expected. I haven’t see any of the “don’t waste my time and fill up the chat box just go look it up online” sort of replies I got frequently the first time I tried this game a year ago (yet) i even got help offers from you guys. that may be more related to my luck with socializing then a change in community but its good ether way. The establishment of weasels was a great idea and certainly makes the game more noob friendly. Something that could use a little work from the community however is updating the wiki and learning material. I am not discrediting the hundreds of hours already put in the matter but i think when a new player reads something that is no longer relevant in the game, the wiki looses its “authority” if you will. So keep up the good work

Part 3

if you some how stayed awake during this trilogy then I have good news this is the last part. talking to the devs

-The thing that I find most lacking in this game is not content made by the developer (although it is always good to get more) but players. To an unaware observer like my self it seems to be that a group of dedicated veterans play in 12 hour shifts but the overall number of players isn’t exactly booming. My line of reasoning might be flawed here but it follows this path: that higher number of players could mean battles of grander scale and bring more players which means the former new players don’t have to just be slaughtered by people who have been playing this game for 5+ years and will be able to fight battles that are more balanced in terms of the number of experienced players vs. inexperienced players. This further balances the game and makes it more attractive. Deleting the credit card requirement for making a trail account was a very good step for making new players feel more welcomed. But more effort would be appreciated

-a strategy that can help motivate new players is somthing similar to what steam games have as achivements. they are completly useless and manny serious players just ignore them but (if desighned well) these little trophies are good tools for making new commers feel they are on the right track

-Another thing I noticed about this game is the bad image it has, scarring away some players. Infact the first time I read about it was not an advertisement but was (if I remember correctly) some web logger saying how difficult and unplayable it is ... Ironically it got me interested so I don’t know if it good or bad.

-Fixing lag issues. it may be more due to the general state of technology humanity has at the moment then what you guys are doing but I still think it is worth mentioning latency in this list

-Creative ways to get short bursts of action sequences to players who's gaming sessions are not long enough to make the campaign a interesting option, without taking much needed player numbers away from the campaign. In short what is announced as the American maps has the potential to solve this problem completely so fingers are crossed

-the matter of money. the 17 dollars per month (i'm not sure if you guys still charge the $19 for activation) has got me hoping for a limited free to play version. But that said, I understand why it is needed to maintain the quality of the game.

-my final request should not be hard to implment. i think the addition of an ingame webbrowser would be welcomed by both new players and vets. i may be spoiled by steam but i feal i shouldnt alt+tab out of a game just to check my email or looking somthing up in the wikies

thank you

Edited by noobman

Your experiences reminded me of my first time logging in. I remember my heart pounding as I was trying for my first kill.

It is a tough game there is no doubt about it.

We're glad you're here and glad you're enjoying the war. If you'd like to join a good squad, I'd like to suggest FeldJager, assuming you're playing for the good guys.

initially i had intended to play the british and french personas for camp#75 but my experience with the axis was so good that i'm thinking about staying for another round. as for a squad, because I’m a semi-casual player (i like saying that rather than admiting i'm a noob), i was thinking about becoming a member of the weasels but i'm still shopping around for a squad so thanks for the suggestion

Thanks for the post, noobman.

A couple of things you may not be aware of:

1) There is a special offer after your trial ends where you can continue to play for $12.99/month for 3 months.

2) There is a free play account that you can activate once your all access trial runs out. So you can continue playing, but are limited to rifle and SMG only, and you cannot contribute to capture.

I hope that you remain with the game!

the thing about the radio..

DONT hit enter before typing.

just hit the channel F# then type the message then enter to send it.

if you hit enter before typing you will send the message to the channels you have chosen AND use the area chat.

ENTER is area chat.

everyone withing 100?meter can see the message exept that the enemy will read it as jibberish.

so if they see the jibberish text they know an enemy is within 100meter

Noobman great breakdown of the game! Dont be afraid to join a squad, many allow "semi-casual" players and most will gladly train you up. I would recommend a larger squad, so there are more players on when you do play to increase your own fun. S! And keep fighting!

Wayloss

www.91stsb.com

Switching out of the game didnt use to be as difficult. I remember there was a change made to how the game works in full screen because people were alt-tabbing out or hitting alt-f4 to deny kills and save their stats. The ingame web browser seems like a waste. The chances for lag increase with something like that.

This game is not very run and gun friendly, and thats a huge bonus. People tend to be more patient here and and its a different kind of crowd than the instant gratification group. There used to be a lot more people on too that made those epic battles. I remeber very large scale fights lasting up to 8 days before.

This game is not very run and gun friendly, and thats a huge bonus. People tend to be more patient here and and its a different kind of crowd than the instant gratification group. There used to be a lot more people on too that made those epic battles. I remeber very large scale fights lasting up to 8 days before.

Frankly BGE is more my speed and getting even more so as I age. First off I was raised by WW-ll Vets and the War has always been the focus of my History interest.

But more so its getting hard to tell these BF3/COD games apart. No team work, no coordination/comms, no Track IR and ability to see to your sides, No joystick support, indeed no flight game worth a damn, and nothing but 16yos running around shooting each other in the back in their Army of One. All they seem to be is wow'ie-zowie damage engines and graphics. After you get past "the look" and get used to the maps they frankly get boring.

And I for one like sitting in a Bofors looking at the sky for awhiles protecting my team, or running truck tows even tho theres no points for it. At 54yo Im in no rush to get anywheres.

Man back when we had the crowd I'd be playing this game until 0200 when I had to get up for work at 0430. If only we'd get the crowd back.

I frankly agree with everything the OP said. The one thing that really ruins this game is the amount of people, there should be thousands of people playing it with the whole front and every city being busy in battle, so that wherever you drop you have a fight. Too bad it's not like that, and there are like 200-500 people playing at the same time maximum in both factions, if I'm not wrong.

-Another thing I noticed about this game is the bad image it has, scarring away some players. Infact the first time I read about it was not an advertisement but was (if I remember correctly) some web logger saying how difficult and unplayable it is ... Ironically it got me interested so I don’t know if it good or bad.

This is the first thing that should be fixed. This game has loads of potential. There is no other game like this one; no other game, no other game so realistic, not even the first Operation Flashpoint or that ARMA ****. No other game offers you the whole Europe to play as a MMO and really make a difference in the short and in the long run. No other game allows to have a so high dynamical PVP. For this it should attract enough people to make this game really enjoyable. For now, it's not so good as it promises, and the lack of players is the main reason no doubt. The thing is that the less people play this game, the more people will leave it.

Anyway, when was this game much more crowded? How many time ago? I've just joined this game yesterday.

Edited by tarkus8

Frankly BGE is more my speed and getting even more so as I age. First off I was raised by WW-ll Vets and the War has always been the focus of my History interest.

But more so its getting hard to tell these BF3/COD games apart. No team work, no coordination/comms, no Track IR and ability to see to your sides, No joystick support, indeed no flight game worth a damn, and nothing but 16yos running around shooting each other in the back in their Army of One. All they seem to be is wow'ie-zowie damage engines and graphics. After you get past "the look" and get used to the maps they frankly get boring.

And I for one like sitting in a Bofors looking at the sky for awhiles protecting my team, or running truck tows even tho theres no points for it. At 54yo Im in no rush to get anywheres.

Man back when we had the crowd I'd be playing this game until 0200 when I had to get up for work at 0430. If only we'd get the crowd back.

Get rid of the stinking AI and the crowd might come back

Get rid of the stinking AI and the crowd might come back

- Shrink the map

- Add the americans, for good

- Push the game time to a later date and introduce new/later war items

- Add more AOs, give free-attack, or remove AOs all together

- Make flying the newbie plane a bit easier as to not discourage starter pilots

- Lessen the rank requirements for each class, rearrange ideally

- Remove the rank requirements for creating missions

- Remove the AI, or make it so a bullet from a rifle will kill them! <---

- Lessen the monthly fee to 14.99 month-to-month

Bottom line:

When people think WWII, they think D-day, Japan, Americans, panthers/tigers, Shermans, bazookas, rangers, spitfires, V-1s, and all the crazy german prototype fighters.

They don't think BATTLE OF FRANCE. CRS really should have anticipated this.

Edited by jaenus

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0