• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
massacr9

FPS Main question - PLS READ

18 posts in this topic

S! CRS

Well, at least two people who I introduced the game, stop playing, because of low FPS, they even thinking of buying the game, which is sad because in the last version that was running very well, so they preferred download ArmA 2 with the I44 expansion (WWII), Battlefield 2: Project Reality and other games with much better graphics and better fps and also, I've seen in several Brazilian game forums talking about the WWIIOL and recommending but people complain about fps and stop playing (thinking: the graphic image is not the best and will be running with 20fps?).

Yes! I understand that this game is the only on his MMO's kind, and the lagest map and biggest number of players, but there are several MMORPG with maps extremely large, and more players (not as much as WWIIOL) that have better graphics and better rendering than this.

In my opinion, the terrain graphics(buildings too) what else makes the fps drop, you should do a patch to return the terrain graphics back the old versions, like 1.30, 1.32, 1.31( too much simple and better) and, and just improve the gameplay and units (I'm not saying that would be easy or it could happen) as u guys are doing, and doing a great job.

The CRS have a game that has survived 10 years, and the only of his kind, but I believe it will survive the too long as the same 10 years past, since a person with an i7 and a good video card can not play with good fps.

PS: This is my critics is like any User critics, I lay on the subject of programming but I would love if you meet these claims and try something.

Ty for the attention and ''tolerance''.

sorry for the bad english too.

i like that who has the same understanding, help me also in this thread.

Edited by massacr9

This game have since day 1 been very demanding on your hardware.

What you need is a fast Intel CPU.

How many Mhz do you have?

People with high end processors are experiencing the same problems. My CPU doesnt even break a sweat with the game. The game needs a performance overhaul before any new toys are added.

Well whats considered good or bad? what is playable and what is not?

I have a i7 and have little porblems with fps. 30 is the absolute lowest mainly 60+ during normal batlles. ive seen it over 250 as well.

At 30 it seems to still be playable with no choppiness. Whats everyone elses take on the min level.

Two year old comp here (Phenom IIx3, HD 4870).

Usually playable at ~30 FPS, but often drops to single digits in towns. Even with low pop sometimes. I don't remember it being this bad a year ago.

People with high end processors are experiencing the same problems. My CPU doesnt even break a sweat with the game. The game needs a performance overhaul before any new toys are added.

So why the CRS dont talk about that? about do a correction patch?

Simple answer: You just can't compare this game with the types you're referring to. The reason is this:

In most other games, even MMORPG's, there's still a very low number of players sharing the gameworld compared to this one. And even if you set the visibility level to low, you mustn't forget all the bullets, shells and bombs that constantly move around in the air and needs to be accounted for. Most other games doesn't really do it in the same way and therefore doesn't demand as much. Calculating trajectories in a realistic way demands a LOT from the CPU and most games cheat with this, this game doesn't.

To improve this bit the game needs to be rewritten from scratch to take advantage of todays multi-core CPU's as well as using GPU's for Physics calculations like OpenCL/Cuda and the likes. This is not likely to happen and I seriously doubt that the current code can be adapted in an easy way to make these major changes. Had it been easy I'm sure the rats would have done so already.

On another note I can agree with the OP's intention. I really don't want to know how much money I've spent on hardware the last 8-9 years just to be able to play this game, I know it's a lot and I think I'd cry blood if I summed it up so I won't.. and that's the major problem this game is suffering from. People having to upgrade their systems every other year or so to be able to play without to much problems.

Hardware manufacturers should sponsor CRS since they make a lot of money from us players. ;)

Well, I get better framerates even in Arma2. Unless you mean latency.

In most other games' date=' even MMORPG's, there's still a very low number of players sharing the gameworld compared to this one. And even if you set the visibility level to low, you mustn't forget all the bullets, shells and bombs that constantly move around in the air and needs to be accounted for. Most other games doesn't really do it in the same way and therefore doesn't demand as much. Calculating trajectories in a realistic way demands a LOT from the CPU and most games cheat with this, this game doesn't.[/quote']

Have ballistics become that much more demanding in these ten years? I'm thinking it's recent things like buildings and player models.

CRS has fallen back on the old 'biggest game world' and 'accurate ballistics' and other boilerplate for 10 years (I played in 2001 when there were no graphics, or tress, and you could not go into buildings).

Now in 2011 (2012 is 1 month away), and a total rewrite of the engine we are still at the same basic issues: Poor FPS, city fighting is akin to playing chess, etc.

With the advent of AO's CRS has limited the map very small segments (at most 2-3 attack objectives) so the 'biggest map' claim is out the window.. yeah, you CAN drive across the map, but you won't see anyone else and can't do anything once you get there.

City fighting is abysmal because there is a limit of visible players you can update. And then you still have to draw the players, a lot of buildings etc. I stay away from citys because its a game of chess, not a FPS shooter when I am in them.

I still think that is INCREDIBLY STUPID that CRS opened up a 'Welcome Back' campaign on such a large release... anyone who's been through a major update knows that CRS takes WEEKS to bang out the bugs.... such as we have now with connection errors, CTDs, etc.

I've already unsubbed and will wait till 1.35 next year to see how things have progressed.

Im no CPU geek but Im running a Sony Viao. Its bout 10 years old, I have an ATI Radeon 1650 Vid Card, 2 gigs of ram, and running Cable modem internet. Some you guys complaining at 20 to 30 FPS, Id love to have that. Im currently at 8 to 20 fps in open by myself. When the enemy is near me it will drop to like 4 fps. Im sorry but I find it hard to believe i need a new computer to play smooth. I have had people tell me it should run smooth. Im only using 50% Cpu usage. What is going on here?

I have an e8500@3.16Ghz, 1 gig ATI 4870, 4 gig DDR2 ram. About four years old. 40-60+ fps in the countryside, stable 30 in towns. I run the game at lowest settings on everything. If you can make kills at less than 15 fps my hat's off to you, that's really a tough way to play.

That setting: "Connection/Visible player limit" seems to be the framerate killer for my rig. When online, core 1 is nearly 100% but core 0 is only 25% or less.

My rig is not powerful enough to record using FRAPS during an INF battle, but everything else is OK.

Wassail.

werwulf.

Edited by werwulf
additions, fixes

Have ballistics become that much more demanding in these ten years? I'm thinking it's recent things like buildings and player models.

Of course, I'm just saying that people shouldn't forget about ballistics.

Just to check, I overclocked my rig to 3.58Ghz. I bumped up everything a little except the visible player limit. FPS went to about 48 - 54 in an empty town and it cost me 30 degrees of heat on the cpu (from 35 to 65), but everything looked better.

I was running mediaplayer, task manager, real temp, explorer, and ch control manager in the background. I still don't think I would be able to record an INF battle with FRAPS, but overall FPS increased about 18 frames per second.

Vsync was on. Sometimes my cores are balanced, but this time core 1 had most of the load again.

Wassail.

werwulf.

edit: oh yeah, I also over clocked the 4870 to 790/1000, something like that.

Edited by werwulf

Overclocking will give you a boost, if it's done right. How much depends on more than just clock speed though. Memory timings and such will also make a small difference. Sometimes a lower memory speed which allows tighter timings might give a better result than higher speed with looser timings.

If it's not done right you might even end up with worse performance since modern CPU's throttle down if they get unstable to a speed lower than stock.

Hardware manufacturers should sponsor CRS since they make a lot of money from us players. ;)

I wish.

I am currently away from the game until I can save up to put together a decent rig. That target moves a lot like an ei jigging his way across an open field.

I also plead for CRS to develop a parallel game engine that is easy on the hardware, or at least go to the manurfacturers and explain the player base they have and how this game drives a portion of the hardware industry.

Something.

OC'd from 2.8 to 3.2 GHz. Haven't gotten to memory timing tweaks yet. It's improved noticeably in non-stutter areas, but heavy battles are still unplayable.

Guess it's not the buildings...

"Overclocking will give you a boost, if it's done right." - munchkin

Exactly. I don't overclock much and only for short periods of time because I am just learning, and I can't afford to buy a new cpu or a new rig for awhile if I screw up and fry something.

I wish I could buy a new rig today, latest and greatest, but I will have to save up for a year or more to get that. I can more easily afford to upgrade ram, cpu and maybe the vid card and maybe get another two years out of this rig before buying a whole new computer. If that happens, that will be 6 years on one rig for me, a new record. On the bright side, top of the line stuff now (Dec 2011) will be way more affordable in 2013.

Wassail.

werwulf.

Edited by werwulf
additions, spelling, grammar

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0