Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ness

Want higher FPS? NVIDIA users check in.

41 posts in this topic

**DISCLAIMER**

These tips are what worked for me with a GTX465. These settings gave me a 6-7 fps gain in the heaviest of circumstances, and a 25 fps gain under normal circumstances. Everyone's setup is different, so I can't predict how these settings will work for you. Try them, and let me know.

To begin, you need to get a baseline to see if this does anything for you.

1. Go offline, and type in ".benchremagen" (.help shows all the commands you can use) Let the game load all the grass, and record your FPS.

2. Type in ".benchinfantry" and record your FPS.

3. Type in ".benchvehicles" and record your FPS.

This should be good enough for your baseline. If you want extra credit, run .benchinfantry 2 more times, and .benchvehicles 1 more time. If you do any more than this, the game will crash.

Now that you have your baseline FPS written down, exit the game.

Head over to this page http://www.guru3d.com/news/nvidia-geforce-29036-download-available/ as these are the latest drivers you can grab as of writing this.

Some people are iffy abut beta drivers. I always use beta drivers and have never had a problem (if I do, i just roll back to the previous), and these have shown greater image quality and a good gain in FPS for me, so I'm recommending them.

Install those guys (do a clean install) and right click on your desktop, select NVIDA control panel, and select MANAGE 3D SETTINGS.

You will then click on the Program Settings tab, and click the ADD button. Sometimes this page takes a while to load as it scans your computer for known programs with existing profiles. Navigate to your \CRS\battleground europe\ directory and select ww2.exe.

*Disclaimer 2*

I tested every single setting available in this control panel. For whatever reason, the settings that I am recommending are the most efficient. Even if it seems like they would be counter productive, these settings yielded a HIGHER framerate than any other combination of settings. This game is weird.

Use the following settings:

settings.png

A quick note, the Antialiasing mode, setting, and transparency can also be set to OFF and you may see a better framerate. I have these settings because I was able to enable them without any change in framerate. If I went higher, I did notice a drop.

Now apply these settings, load your game back up, and run the tests again. Feel free to post your before and after framerates here to see if this helped. If you have an older graphics card, these settings may not help, and I would recommend turning Anisotropic filtering off, even though setting them to 16x gave me an improvement over Off with my setup.

If you want to further increase your framerate, overclock your CPU if you know how. If you don't know how, do a lot of reading, search youtube, search for people with very similar hardware configurations and see what they were able to achieve.

THE BEST PERFORMANCE BOOST YOU CAN GET - put the game on BEST PERFORMANCE mode and call it a day. I consider the "Best Quality" feature in this game broken, because the way the game behaves is just not something that I can understand. I have a full breakdown of resource usage in this thread:

http://forums.wwiionline.com/showthread.php?t=380825

Seriously, the game runs twice as fast, and you aren't going to see a huge change in graphic detail

Lowest setting:

http://starmansuper.com/settings/SShot95.bmp

Highest setting:

http://starmansuper.com/settings/SShot94.bmp

A smooth gameplay experience is much more immersive than one with crap framerate and smoke effects.

I used the current release drivers instead of the Beta. Thanks for the tips!

Before:

benchremagen: 29

benchinfantry: 19

benchvehicles: 12

After:

benchremagen: 31

benchinfantry: 24

benchvehicles: 14

With antialiasing off:

benchremagen: 32

benchinfantry: 23

benchvehicles: 14

My tests.

PC:

I7 2600K at 4.8

8 gigs of ripjaws at 2133

240 gig SSD HD

GTX 465

Win 7 64 bit

benchremagen: 60 (funny, I dropped the AA setting to 8 and my FPS goes down to 34, bring it back to 16x CSAA and it goes up to 60)

benchinfantry: 60/58 (every once in a while it dips to 44 and then goes back to 60)

benchvehicles: 30

rem.jpg

rem2.jpg

rem3.jpg

settings.jpg

Did exactly what you suggested for settings. My heavy, in town FPS went from 20-30 to consistent 35 or better...unbelieveable. Should sticky this post.

My tests.

PC:

I7 2600K at 4.8

8 gigs of ripjaws at 2133

240 gig SSD HD

GTX 465

Win 7 64 bit

benchremagen: 60 (funny, I dropped the AA setting to 8 and my FPS goes down to 34, bring it back to 16x CSAA and it goes up to 60)

benchinfantry: 60/58 (every once in a while it dips to 44 and then goes back to 60)

benchvehicles: 30

rem.jpg

rem2.jpg

rem3.jpg

settings.jpg

Yea running those setting but seting aa to 32xcsaa I get 92/59/33.

Seems on later nvidia cards that high aa and anastropic settings have little effect on fps and sometimes give higher fps.

Yea running those setting but seting aa to 32xcsaa I get 92/59/33.

Seems on later nvidia cards that high aa and anastropic settings have little effect on fps and sometimes give higher fps.

I use VSYNC so I dont pass 60 because I don't like the tearing you get without it on, but yea the lower I set AA, the worse the FPS went...strange.

I use VSYNC so I dont pass 60 because I don't like the tearing you get without it on' date=' but yea the lower I set AA, the worse the FPS went...strange.[/quote']

I've never noticed any tearing but my eyes are'nt so good as they once were.

Couldn't do baseline because test server offline, but saw a definite increase in FPS of 20% to 50% over what I usellly get (20s to 60s+). Best part that I was getting a stutter often with the 1.34 patch (very annoying) and I so not seem to have it anymore :)

Great post!

I've never noticed any tearing but my eyes are'nt so good as they once were.

You don't really notice on the ground, however you can really notice it when you're in a plane and your constantly scanning. The pit will tear when you look left/right. It's a minor thing...plus, anything over 60 is no big deal anyway.

You don't really notice on the ground' date=' however you can really notice it when you're in a plane and your constantly scanning. The pit will tear when you look left/right. It's a minor thing...plus, anything over 60 is no big deal anyway.[/quote']

True that over 60 is just bragging rights. I've not used vsync though cause it resulted in 30fps max rather than 60fps. Coulda been a bad set of drivers when I tried it though. I should try it on again.

As to tearing, I've never seen it flying, even with over 200fps. But then again it could be there and me not noticeing it.

This by far has smoothed out game play for my i3 rig 250gts 8 gig of ram...pc Running the 285 drivers.......Havnt tried the beta drivers yet, but after me and Reb talked today ingame I might give it a shot.

i7 hasnt had a problem.

Both rigs still get 10060 & 10061 errors....also changing branches after awhile results in a ctd. CTD so hard it boots me off of my internet connection wtf!

I recommend anyone with a lower end Vid card to make these adjustments. Again for the i3 3.2 rig, it has smoothed game play out and I dont drop below 35 fps even in big fights, stay around 50 for the most part and out in the open or in the air I am almost nailing double digits.

i7 runs just fine..

Again both getting the stuff listed above. Atleast gameplay has smoothed out big time and is now playable on the i3 rig.

Edited by Ezrelay

Just from past experience, it may be advisable to download the full install and re-install the game rather than run the patched version. This may help with some CTD issues.

I use VSYNC so I dont pass 60 because I don't like the tearing you get without it on, but yea the lower I set AA, the worse the FPS went...strange.

I have found that VSYNC provides a pretty substantial framerate difference when it is disabled. I don't mean the FPS beyond 60, but under a heavy load I noticed a 10fps difference.

Edited by ness

I type .benchremagen and it responds overide spawn for benchmarking Remagen and then.... nothing happens :o(

I type .benchremagen and it responds overide spawn for benchmarking Remagen and then.... nothing happens :o(

You will type this at the main offline menu, then after it says that, select any class, then click spawn.

Nice just tested with your settings.... This is with a Nvidia GTX 560 Ti

I was only able to use the .benchremagen... the others never showed up after I typed them.

Before average 38/39

After average 48/49

Now to try it in game ;)

Edited by realm

Which settings are causing the improvement though. Can you pinpoint it more ness?

The AA thing seems pretty sketchy. I'd like to run some tests myself oin my nVidia box. I'm going to update the drivers now (GTX 260).

Core 2 Duo @ 3.0Ghz

4GB Ram

GTX 260 786MB

1680 x 1050

WinXP SP3 c32bit

WWIIOL v 1.34.6.1 Offline

Performance Settings

All tests run on a fresh reboot of the machine.

All fps records using FRAPS

The GPU settings are in the control panel and use the slider

Round 1

Testing a straight upgrade of the driver which is always recommended.

Test 1

nVidia driver 266.58

GPU settings = default (let application decide)

61 bench remagen

35 bench inf

20 bench veh

Test 2

nVidia driver 285.58

70 bench remagen

44 bench inf

22 bench veh

I'd say the upgrade is a good idea.

Round 2

Now we'll use the nVidia control panel to adjust settings using the slider. The application settings remain on "performance".

Test 3

nVidia driver 285.58

GPU settings = quality

73 bench remagen

43 bench inf

22 bench veh

Test 4

nVidia driver 285.58

GPU settings = balanced

73 bench remagen

37 bench inf

21 bench veh

Test 5

nVidia driver 285.58

GPU settings = performance

68 bench remagen

38 bench inf

21 bench veh

I noticed I get basically the same results without restarting but best to test both ways with something like this. Bottom line something may be wrong. Running these tests many times though shows about the same frame rates as they change from test to test. This is why restarting while tedious is best for testing.

Round 3

For these tests I'm going to be changing stuff in the manual settings to see if I can narrow in on a particular setting.

I'm not going to document these at present because they are tedious. I'll just run through the options and note a change.

It appears that changes in the control panel donot take aeffect without restarting the game but restarting the computer has no effect so I'll do the first but no the second for initial testing here.

Test 6

nVidia driver 285.58

GPU settings = manual (set to default)

Baseline fps:

70 bench remagen

43 bench infantry

23 bench vehicles

Note in the above that there are variations from spawn to spawn but you usually get the same range. I'm taking that into effect in the tests below.

Each setting below was tested then returned to defaults.

Anisotropic Filtering

Turning this on does not appear to affect framerate. I find this slightly odd but our textures aren't particularly demanding. We're still largely CPU bound. That may be why the OP running a much better CPU than me can discern differences in the GPU. Unknown.

Anti-Alising

Turned this all the way up

• Gamm on
  • Override application
  • 16xQ CSAA
  • Supersampling

I found zero impact on frame rates. None. Either these settings are not working for me OR my GPU can just handle this game at 1680 x 1050 with no issues. My other machine is an ATi but I'll test it at 3840 x 1024. BRB...

On my ATi AA takes it from 30 to 10 fps. Working as expected.

CUDA

No effect.

Extension Limit

Causes CTD. I don't really care as I don;t know what this is.

Maximum Pre Rendered Frames

Possible ~1 fps change negative. Not telling.

Single display perfromance mode

No change.

Anisotropic sample optimization

Off by default. Turning on might increase performance if running anisotropic filtering. Tried with that on and off. No change.

Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias

No change. Tested with anisotropic filtering.

Texture Filtering - Quality

Set to high performance from quality. This has a slight positive impact.

Texture Filrting - Tri Linear Filtering

No use. DX only.

Threaded Optimization

Set to on from auto. Slightly negative effect.

Triple Buffering and VSync

Did not test.

Test 7

nVidia driver 285.58

70 bench remagen

44 bench inf

22 bench veh

nVidia driver 285.58

GPU settings = manual (set to match original poster)

68 bench remagen

43 bench infantry

23 bench vehicles

Conclusion

Upgrade your drivers.

Other than that I can't find anything really compelling. If you can improve your testing and pinpoint something specific on your set up I can try and replicate. At present there's nothing for me to go on.

Repeating tests 3,4&5 does not yield consistent enough results on my test machine to warrant an issue.

Edited by GOPHUR

antialiasing seems to be key.

With infantry LOD slider HIGHEST:

AA OFF, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 11

AA 2x, /benchinfantry drops me from 68 fps to 20

AA 4x, /benchinfantry drops me from 68 fps to 20

AA 8x CSAA, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 13

AA 8x, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 20

AA 16x CSAA, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 20

AA 16xQ CSAA, /benchinfantry drops me from 68 fps to 13

so no AA and the two CSAA settings seem to be causing the biggest drop.

Weird that no aa actually gives the worst result, and that 16xCSAA gives better results than 8xCSAA :confused:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With infantry LOD slider LOWEST:

AA OFF, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 42

AA 2x, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 42

AA 4x, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 42

AA 8x CSAA, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 42

AA 8x, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 37

AA 16x CSAA, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 42

AA 16xQ CSAA, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 37

FWIW I can't see any difference between the high and low LODs on the models themselves when using .benchinfantry

Edited by Rubbish

I also generally see either 37 or 42 frames on that test. That change is not dependent on the test. Run the same test 10 times and you'll see both of these numbers.

I'm not sure if it works for you but ".vspawn -r" will clear the vehicles.

antialiasing seems to be key.

With infantry LOD slider HIGHEST:

AA OFF, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 11

AA 2x, /benchinfantry drops me from 68 fps to 20

AA 4x, /benchinfantry drops me from 68 fps to 20

AA 8x CSAA, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 13

AA 8x, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 20

AA 16x CSAA, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 20

AA 16xQ CSAA, /benchinfantry drops me from 68 fps to 13

so no AA and the two CSAA settings seem to be causing the biggest drop.

Weird that no aa actually gives the worst result, and that 16xCSAA gives better results than 8xCSAA :confused:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With infantry LOD slider LOWEST:

AA OFF, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 42

AA 2x, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 42

AA 4x, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 42

AA 8x CSAA, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 42

AA 8x, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 37

AA 16x CSAA, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 42

AA 16xQ CSAA, /benchinfantry drops me from 70 fps to 37

FWIW I can't see any difference between the high and low LODs on the models themselves when using .benchinfantry

On my rig going from low setting for lod to hightest gives 60 fps low and 17 fps at highest lod. So yea thats weird.

That change is not dependent on the test.

I'm not sure what you mean by that :confused:

I should probably also point out that i'm only using .benchremagen followed by .benchinfantry, not using vehicles at all.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0