Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wulff

I think I have found my next motherboard

41 posts in this topic

Gigabyte G1. Assassin

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128472

I've been watching prices a little, and this board has already dropped $150 in price. When those new socket 2011 boards come out in April, I think it will drop in price even more.

My goal is to have my rig built around this motherboard by December 2012, and hopefully it will be good for 4 - 6 years.

Wassail.

werwulf.

Edited by werwulf

So why spend so much money when an i5 2500k system will provide the same or better performance for way less money? Here is my reasoning:

Socket lga 2011 supersedes socket lga 1366 and will probably be shipping in April. That will become Intel's flagship and no doubt those cpu's will be very expensive. Socket lga 1366 will become the little brother and prices should drop for those cpu's.

Since I am not wealthy, when I make a build it pretty much has to be strong enough to last for 4 - 6 years. That is what I am aiming for. I can put in an i7 - 950 for around $300 bucks to start, and if I am right, upgrade to a stronger cpu when the price drops enough for me to afford it. So this board gives me a cpu upgrade path.

Triple channel memory should provide more bandwidth.

I won't have to cannibalize my current system for a sound card.

That onboard network improvement card might actually work.

The board is set up for easy crossfirex.

When the resources become available, I am pretty sure this mobo can handle a 6 core cpu, the Intel Core i7 990x Extreme Edition.

I like the looks of the motherboard. I don't care if I drive a 20 year old car if I have a strong system. I guess it all depends on what your priorities are.

LHacDYj8KZM&feature=channel_video_title

Wassail.

werwulf.

Edited by werwulf
additions

a 1366 M/B?

blech...

get an 1155 M/B for $150 and and i5 2500k or i7 2600K/2700K and your good to go...or wait for the ivy bridge cpus to come out with IMPROVED performance

The $$$ u save gets u an upgrade later on down the line sooner then if you spend so much $$$ foolishly early on

the 1155 I5/I7 K processor combo chews through all current games faster then 1366 systems

Edited by Vampress

Thanks for good advice, but I don't think so.

1366 is good enough for me; eventually I'll be able to overclock those 6 cores and by the time I can, games should actually be using extra cores.

Wassail.

werwulf.

Edited by werwulf
additions

you realize you can buy 2011 M/Bs and cpus RIGHT now?

your better off getting one of THOSE then a 1366...quad channel > tri channel

they have a $500 unlocked processor that should overclock really well also...and its 6 core and the 2011 M/Bs are about the price of the one u picked.

I just checked Gigabyte's website and the G1. Assassin 2 comes in Socket LGA 2011. Damn, I didn't know that and now I have to research 2011 stuff.

Thanks for the heads up. I thought the 2011 boards would not be available until April 2012.

Wassail.

werwulf.

edit: The Core i7 3960K checks out at around $650, which is a little steep for me, but doable. I'll have to read up on Sandy Bridge E/or Ivy Bridge, but it does actually seem to be a wiser choice, right now at least. Thanks for giving me the information I needed to know. Wassail!

Edited by werwulf
additions

Gigabyte G1. Assassin 2

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4419/gigabyte_g1_assassin_2_intel_x79_motherboard_review/index.html

Wassail.

werwulf.

Edit: OK, it looks like the g1 Assassin 2 it is for me. Compared to my current rig it has the same clock speed, 3x the cores, 3x the memory bandwidth and way better overclocking capability. I think that is a worthwhile upgrade, and to top it all off, I think the socket LGA 2011 will be Intel's flagship for awhile. The goal is to have the machine online by December 2012. Thank you Vampress, for the information. It's time for me to start scrimping and saving. Wassail.

Edited by werwulf
additions

I like the way the SB and NB look like a Magazine and gun on the 1st one.

Edited by Whiplash

I like the way the first one looks better as well. But I guess I can't have everything. I can live with the way the second one looks.

Vppbdf-qtGU&feature=channel_video_title

Wassail.

werwulf.

Edited by werwulf

I should have typed: "OK, it looks like the G1. Assassin 2/i7 3960k it is for me." for the rest to make sense, and say what I meant.

I guess while I am here I'll write about my thoughts on upgrades.

~$1000.00 = economy build

~$1500.00 = average build

~$2500.00 = strong build

~+$2500.00 = millionaire's build

Way back in the day when they were bringing out new stuff every 6 months, I always did an average build because a year later, no matter how much you spent your rig would be obsolete.

When Intel hit the 3 Ghz barrier and started adding cores instead of clock speed it occurred to me that doing a strong build every 4 years instead of an average build every two years was probably more economical. Averaged over the four years it would be about $500 - $600 a year for computer stuff.

So, I don't know. Maybe it is time for average builds again? Maybe, but for my next rig I am still going to do a strong build and hope that it lasts for at least four years.

Wassail.

werwulf.

Edited by werwulf
additions

Why would anyone buy a LGA 1366? LGA 2011 is an other waste of money if you game this game and want speed.

6 cores don't clock as good as 4 Sandy bridge ones.

All I have seen here at this forum is people complaining about how poor these 9xx CPUs performing with 1366. Can only think of 2xGPUs setup as a reason, and that is another waste.

And I'm pretty sure I want this keyboard:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823114016

And this mouse:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153065

1D5PtyrewSs&feature=channel_video_title

Wassail.

werwulf.

Edit: I'm planning to necro this thread in December 2012 just to see how intentions worked out.

Edited by werwulf
additions

Why would anyone buy a LGA 1366? LGA 2011 is an other waste of money if you game this game and want speed.

6 cores don't clock as good as 4 Sandy bridge ones.

All I have seen here at this forum is people complaining about how poor these 9xx CPUs performing with 1366. Can only think of 2xGPUs setup as a reason, and that is another waste.

well the 1155 with a 2500K is the gold standard right now...high performance for mid range price

btw...you all realize that AMD is no longer shipping/making their phenom II processors now?

I necro'd this thread early because it appears that I might be able to get my new system early.

I have decided to go with a 2011 system, Crossfire, and Eyefinity Portrait 3x1 or 5x1.

I couldn't find a demo using BE but here is what a 5x1 Portrait array looks like with Skyrim:

rxp2Y_FISoI

It doesn't hurt so much if you only spend a little at a time. I still have to order the system, but if all goes well I might be able to have my new rig in September instead of December. If not, I will have to wait till next April to get everything. It won't help me play any better, but at least I can die in style. :)

I'm sort of betting the farm that I finally know what I'm doing with computers for BE. This rig has to last me 5 - 10 years to justify the expense. Once I get the system my next move will be to buy a 1 year subscription to BE.

Wassail.

Snjarulf.

wulff.

edit:fix grammar & typos

Edited by wulff

Built my PC last fall with a LGA 1155, i5 2400, figured that would be sufficient. Still a very high quality Sandy Bridge better than pretty much any AMD's at the time and less only was $150. My ram is only 1333 speed, but 8GB and actually will have 16 GB come tomorrow and have no noticeable problems handles everything with ease. will be upgrading the video card in a week or two from a high end 512 MB which handles everything i've used at 40fps or higher to probably the 550 ti 1GB high end ($199.99) or lower clock 2GB model.

Is 1333 RAM really noticlyb slower? I must say I have had NO problems with it so far. I can support up to 32 GB in either DDR3 1066/1333/1600*/2133*(OC)... I assume * means 1600 or 2133 are only overclocked?

Have to let the experts weigh in on that. But my opinion is that any modern computer is good. My current rig is 5 years old and has served me well, it is only in BE that I have to turn everything down and fight in average/small battles for a playable frame rate.

Wassail.

Snjarulf.

wulff.

Edited by wulff

Some final thoughts now that I almost have the resources to purchase the system. I find myself unwilling to drop two grand on the video subsystem even if I can afford it - I can't justify spending that much money for two vid cards and five monitors. Three monitors and one good vid card is doable without too much pain so perhaps that is the route I will take.

I said that this system was specifically for BE and there is a lot of truth in that, but it is also for other games. I have been playing Albion Prelude and have been getting stutters and that is what started/reinforced the upgrade process. I have always found that if I can get decent frames in BE that there is excellent frames in every other game.

Finally, this system is a bit of overkill. There is a discussion in the Barracks right now about a budget build and I know it is pretty easy to build a perfectly good system for BE for about half the price for this system.

The difference is that my rig has to last me 5 - 10 years and this rig has the theoretical bandwidth to do that. It has been fun writing about my new system, sometimes the anticipation is almost as much fun as actually having something. This thread is nearly closed, I might post once more, a picture of the rig once I get it home. Thank you, it has been fun. :)

Wassail.

Snjarulf.

wulff.

ps. I would like to thank Gophur and Vampress for giving me clues. Thank you.

Edited by wulff

Some final thoughts now that I almost have the resources to purchase the system. I find myself unwilling to drop two grand on the video subsystem even if I can afford it - I can't justify spending that much money for two vid cards and five monitors. Three monitors and one good vid card is doable without too much pain so perhaps that is the route I will take.

I said that this system was specifically for BE and there is a lot of truth in that, but it is also for other games. I have been playing Albion Prelude and have been getting stutters and that is what started/reinforced the upgrade process. I have always found that if I can get decent frames in BE that there is excellent frames in every other game.

Finally, this system is a bit of overkill. There is a discussion in the Barracks right now about a budget build and I know it is pretty easy to build a perfectly good system for BE for about half the price for this system.

The difference is that my rig has to last me 5 - 10 years and this rig has the theoretical bandwidth to do that. It has been fun writing about my new system, sometimes the anticipation is almost as much fun as actually having something. This thread is nearly closed, I might post once more, a picture of the rig once I get it home. Thank you, it has been fun. :)

Wassail.

Snjarulf.

wulff.

ps. I would like to thank Gophur and Vampress for giving me clues. Thank you.

I spent about $700 on the following system last fall.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130571

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074

2 of these ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233132

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112218

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

I already had a joystick, and a monitor and got a second 1600-900 resolution monitor through work free. I also had a GT9600 gifted to me.

It's worked great for me and it was under $700. I just picked up a GTX 550 Ti yesterday and ordered 16GB of 1600mhz RAM not because I needed it but because i felt like it. I'm sure you spend half what you are if you cut down on the monitors and have a system that works perfectly fine for another 5-8 years. Add the monitors later as you feel like that way you split up the purchases.

Good on you. The Universe is a bountiful and generous construct, it you let it be. You just have to give yourself half a chance.

Viruses clued me in with this song, I've been listening to it for the past three days:

1gX1EP6mG-E&list=FLql5gh35Q7ZyqfjqzmkxuXA&index=0&feature=plcp

Wassail.

Snjarulf.

wulff.

ps. There's an example - I meant to point to 1 song but instead you get 10 in a row because I'm a youtube noob. Wassail.

Edited by wulff

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0