Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wulff

I think I have found my next motherboard

41 posts in this topic

Well, the acquisition process has started. If all goes well today, when I get back home I will have a box with this mouse in it:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX37824

That's actually overkill, I could make do with one that has way fewer buttons that can be programmed, but every other time I have tried to do that I've gotten burned.

With luck I'll also have a box with these headphones:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX37655

or these:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX24956

They will allow me to use Team speak and in addition I am hoping they will be good for audio direction finding in game.

The last purchase is more mundane, it's an external hard drive so I can more easily transfer files from this system to the new one:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX38614

If all goes well I should be able to order the new system on Friday or next Monday, then take delivery sometime in September. I feel a bit leery about special ordering some of the system components, so I am going to ensure that I have an in-store-replacement policy on the mobo, the ram and the CPU. I have started giving myself some of the things I need.

Wassail.

Snjarulf.

wulff.

Edited by wulff

Done, done and done. Why didn't I know that using headphones would increase the quality of the game's audio so much? I have a pretty good midrange 5.1 sound system and a good sound card, yet the headphones blow them away.

Live and learn I guess.

fHzuhAEAT0w

Wassail.

Snjarulf.

wulff.

Done, done and done. Why didn't I know that using headphones would increase the quality of the game's audio so much? I have a pretty good midrange 5.1 sound system and a good sound card, yet the headphones blow them away.

Live and learn I guess.

Wassail.

Snjarulf.

wulff.

welcome to 2005!

Thank you! I bought myself a steak today to celebrate moving a bit closer to the modern age. I cooked it rare, and it was really good! :)

Wassail.

Snjarulf.

wulff.

Today I finally got off my ass and placed the order for my new system.

I finally decided on the HAF X Tower case, OCZ 1250w power supply, Intel i7 3960x and 16 GB Corsair 2133 Dominator Ram. Corsair H100 liquid cooling for the cpu. The G1. Assassin 2 for the motherboard.

I considered getting a solid state drive but when the computer guy started talking in terms of reliability I decided to get 4 x 2TB Seagate drives instead.

An Asus Radeon 7970 with 4 Display ports rounds out the system. Oh yeah, I got a cheap DVD/CD read/writer. Win 7 64bit Pro SP1 for the OS.

I am not going to overclock the system for at least a couple of years; well maybe the RAM, but only if SMP works the way I think it does. I don't intend to open up the case on this system for at least a couple of years. I'm getting even lazier in my old age than I was before. :)

QexOuH8GS-Y

Wassail.

Snjarulf.

wulff.

Edited by wulff

So the next decision point involves Eyefinity. As things are set at the moment I am going to run the system for a day or two on my 1680x1050 monitor, just for comparison purposes.

I have a really crude method for checking performance. Logging into the offline game world I look straight up, check fps, look straight down check fps, then look at the horizon and check fps.

On my current system, looking up is about 160 fps, looking down is about 160 fps, and looking at the horizon is about 80 fps. Online that translates into about 30 fps with nearly everything at lowest settings, in a small to average battle.

So the first thing I will do is check fps with the new rig on my current monitor. After I get a feel for what it is going to be I have a comparison for the eyefinity set up.

I intend to do a 3x1 portrait array so final resolution should be something like 3240x1920 if I can get it working. I am still not keen on spending $750.00+ for monitors, I guess it will depend on how much cash I am carrying when I go to take delivery of the rig.

Who knows? Maybe I will just stick with my current monitor until I build up my savings again. I have all the time there is, no need to rush anything.

dpKfWU-kE54

Wassail.

Snjarulf.

wulff.

Edited by wulff

So, I did a little checking and I am pretty sure this would be a good monitor for me:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX40530

For me, the important thing is that it is able to pivot 90 degrees to do the portrait thing. Next, it has a display port to simplify the Eyefinity thing. Finally, the price seems right, especially when it is on sale. I need three of them.

I will have to buy 3 Display port cables, these should be good enough for me:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX24025

So now there you have it: A modern system for decent frames in Battleground Europe.

:)

ItVqIosVs_U

Wassail.

Snjarulf.

wulff.

Edited by wulff

Oops, I am having to rethink the monitor a bit. I am worried that if I get a 6ms grey to grey monitor that the image will ghost and smear and that it won't be fast enough for gaming. I'm finding it difficult to find a monitor that meets my requirements, at a price I can afford:

2 ms grey to grey response time

Portrait orientation available

1920x1080 native resolution

Display port OR

DVI-D single link is also acceptable, but it means I will have to spend at least an extra $35.00 for an active converter and then $25.00 for a DVI cable.

Monitor cost less than $250.00 EDIT: No joy for 120 hz on a single link DVI-D. It has to be DVI-D double link to get 120 hz. :(

These monitors are almost there:

Asus: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX40530 -too slow response time

LG: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX22931 fits, but out of stock atm

Ben-Q: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36991 sort of fits, but has a DVI-D double link input instead of single link. I don't know if I can find a display port to HDMI active adaptor for eyefinity. The adaptor for display port to DVI-D double link is way too expensive.

Ben-Q: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36992 fits but is about double the cost of the others. Can be run at 120 hz.

Fun, fun, fun - NOT. :( I guess I'll have to keep searching.

Wassail.

Snjarulf.

wulff.

Edited by wulff

I've been searching for hours now, still with no luck. It is the portrait thing that is causing all the problems, it's easy to find good monitors that will do landscape mode.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spend $400.00 for each monitor I think. I have gone top of the line for everything else, it would be a shame to cripple the system with bad monitors, besides being a waste of money.

So, my plan is to wait until they go on sale. I've played for years at 1680x1050 a few more months is not going to make much difference. When they go on sale I guess I will get this monitor x 3:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36992

It's a gaming monitor that can do portrait orientation and 120 hz. It has a display port. It's just too expensive for my tastes right now.

zXEn8GAgvLE HK2No_-dZsc

A review: http://fragboss.com/benq-xl2420t-review/

OK. I am sure if I watch some more videos that I will be able to deal with the pain of buying 3 and 3 display port cables on the same day. It just means two extra trips to the bank before I take delivery of the system and gritting my teeth when I hand over the cash.

I am sure I will appreciate it when I watch my death animations. :)

Wassail.

Snjarulf.

wulff.

Edited by wulff

OK, I watched those videos enough to remove the pain of coughing up $380.00+ for some monitors. My plan now is to buy 3 + 2 Display Port cables when I take delivery of the system, and do the 3x1 Eyefinity Portrait thing at 120 hz for awhile.

Sometime between now and April 2013, if all goes well, if I don't die, if the world doesn't end, etc. etc. I will buy the final two monitors and cables for a 5x1 Eyefinity Portrait 120 hz monitor array. Then some night in the dark of the moon I am going to go outside and scream as loud as I can to alleviate the pain of spending so much money on monitors. :)

There, now you really have it: a modern system for decent frames for Battleground Europe.

Wassail!

Snjarulf.

wulff.

Edited by wulff

Some last thoughts:

I am going to name my rig "Enduring Light" to remind me that it has to last for at least five years; hopefully maybe even longer than that.

I'm going to consider this thread pretty much closed now, unless I think of something else. If all goes well I will have the rig at home, on-line, and populated with my usual programs before the end of September. The long months of scrimping and saving are almost over.

Thank you, it has been fun, and I learned a few things I did not know. :)

xvaEJzoaYZk

Wassail.

Snjarulf.

wulff.

Edited by wulff

I ordered my monitors today and found out something useful. The Asus 7970 I am buying advertises that it is capable of running 6 monitors. They neglect to mention that those 6 monitors have to run at 60hz or it is a no go. EDIT: Actually, they do mention it, but it is sort of tucked away in the finer print.

There is a switch on the card that changes 1 port from a single link DVI to a double link DVI - which is needed to run the monitor at 120hz. The problem is that using that switch disables one of the display ports. So basically I can get two single link DVI ports and 4 Displayport ports but to do so I have to run the monitors at 60hz.

So basically, if I want to run at 120hz I am limited to 3 or 4 monitors with just the one graphic card. That is what I am going to try first, and if I like it enough I might just stick with 3. On the other hand, that video posted earlier showed Skyrim running on 5 at 120 hz so there must be some way to do it.

I screamed a little, not very loud on the way home from the beer store; there is a good chance that I won't be buying any more monitors than what I get when I take delivery. Fun fun fun, I am glad I found out about the 60 hz thing before I actually spent some coin of the realm. EDIT: So to keep things simple enough for me to comprehend, I will just buy 3 monitors and 3 Displayport cables, end of problem.

Wassail.

Snjarulfr.

wulff.

Edited by wulff

I tried to play for awhile tonight, but with Teamspeak and VLC media player on this old girl couldn't do much better than about 18 FPS, way too low for me to be able to play effectively. In a way, that was fortunate because I learned about the 60 hz thing with the monitors.

In addition to being a good INF I also have some other goals in the game. I would like to be a good IIC tanker. I like being able to shoot INF when most of them can't hurt me back, way less tension than using a rifle or smg. :)

I would also like to be a good Stuka pilot, also a good 110 pilot. So TrackIR came to mind. I don't know much about it, but I think I am going to read up on TrackIR and see if it might be worthwhile for me to get one in November or December.

If anyone reading this is already using TrackIR, I would certainly appreciate hearing what ever you have to say about it. I did a search in the Hangar and watched some vids, TrackIR looks pretty cool and I am certain it is an advantage to have one.

Wassail.

Snjarulfr.

wulff.

Edited by wulff

I've been waiting for about 10 days now and I am getting antsy. The RAM is the component that is delaying things.

3LAcP_v-j3I&feature=fvst

Wassail.

Snjarulfr.

wulff.

Yay! My new system will be ready on Friday, 21 September 2012! The long months of scrimping and saving are almost done!

:)

Wassail.

Snjarulfr.

wulff.

This is being typed from my new system, with my old monitor. There were a few issues setting up (couldn't get into BIOS) and loose network cables, but the system is online. I am now considering this thread closed. Thank you, it is fun.

Wassail.

Snjarulfr.

wulff.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0