• Announcements

• HEAVY265

TOS Change regarding the Forums   11/23/2018

Rule 23 is in discussions.  The official change will come out soon.  It will go effect Jan 1st. As it stands from this point.  Political and religious posts are allowed in off topic.  Be mindful to be respectful to each other.   That is all for now. Thank you for your continued support and patience.
raygunn

World War 2 Veterans

275 posts in this topic

Please post here to tell about your realtives who fought in the war

I will start

My grandfather on my mothers side was in the U.S. Navy

He joined when he was 17, lieing about his age. He was stationed in Guam for training. Unfortunatley or Fortunatley he completed his training at wars end and never saw fighting.

My grandfather on my fathers side was a lot younger and Joined the army post ww2 and was stationed in the american section of Berlin. I'm not sure what he did and have never really talked to him about it, he joined the memphis police department afterward and retired with the rank of Captain.

my grandapa was in ww2 he was 19 when he entered and he was for red lodge montana.

he shipped out 1943 for the pasific most noteble he fought at okinowa and layte gulf.he left the war as a satff sargent with 2 purple harts a silver star and a bronze star. when he left the service we went back to work in billings montana.

My Father was a tanker in Pattons Army - can't recall the division ATM.

My wife's Father was in the 77th infantry in the Pacific.

My wife's Stepfather was a navigator on B-24's.

Bah! I created a thread on this months ago, and this wasent stickied.

Anywho, My Grandpa was in the 426th Bomber Squadren (RAF/RCAF)

More info later

Hmmm, why can't I edit that post...oh well

Anywho, as I said my Grandpa was in the 426th Bomber Squadron, he was a Tail gunner in a Halifax bomber. No clue how many kills he got (if any). I dont think he would of even told me if I had asked.

My Grandmas new boyfriend was with the Canadian army and was first attached to an Anti-Aircraft battery in Britain, then later on in the war he became apart of a special op's group trained in mountain warfare made up of soldiers from other countries (Poland, America, Britain, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and a few Italian soldiers he said). He never saw combat or mainland europe, he stayed in Britain for the war.

Thats about it for my families WW2 history as far as I know.

That's interesting sidmo. Does your grandpa still have any of his papers? flying log book etc.? you'd be able to find out what ops he flew and if he had any successes (kills). Don't be too surprised if he didn't, remember that Bomber Command operated mainly at night. If he was on ops prior to late '44 then he's lucky to be alive, Bomber command had the second highest casualty rate of any service, the German U-boat crews had the highest, during '43 and up to mid-'44 aircrew were statistically unlikely to survive their 30 op tour of duty.

As for my family. My paternal grandfather joined the RAF but was released after basic because he had a reserved occupation. My mother's family came from South Africa and my grandmother was a Staff Sergeant in the South African Army stationed at various coastal batteries around Cape Town. After she died and we were going through her papers we found some love letters to and from her and a boyfriend who as it turned out had won the British Military Cross for bravery in N.Africa or Italy (forget which) as a Sergeant Major in an infantry regiment.

My uncle has all my Grandpas war time items. My family and I are in the process of retrieving some of those items from him, however he is a bit of a hoarder.

My Grandfather's brother was a tail end charlie in a Halifax, but killed in the Nuremburg Raid : March 30th/31st 1944. Shot down by a 110 by a pilot who laimed 6 further victories that evening. Very difficult to find info, but there are a few pages on the web. There are a few books no longer in print which have more details about Halifaxes and their missions, but they are very hard to come across.

Maternal grandfather was RAF - He was an oral surgeon, so spent a great deal of time rebuilding pilots smashed up faces from mg hits, cannon shrapnel etc. in the Battle of Britain and beyond. He served in Burma for a time too. Got a MID for entertaining the troops, was a bit of a crooner. Post war he remained in the RAF, retiring as a Group Captain, and having been in Cyprus during the troubles with Makarios in the 60s.

Maternal grandmother was also RAF (WAAF) - ending up as a Squadron Officer (the WAAF equivalent to Squadron Leader) and retired at the end of the war. She was mainly on bomber stations, driving trucks of supplies, ammunition, fuel, and pilots around to start with and then as OC WAAF on various stations later in the war.

Her brother (my namesake) was also in the RAF having joined pre-war, but was killed on 17/05/1941 when a Flying Officer aged 24.

I have not yet discovered which squadron he flew with but he was awarded the DFC on 22/10/40. I believe he flew fighters but he is not mentioned on the list of those who fought in the Battle of Britain.

My paternal grandfather was a Captain in the HKVDF (Hong Kong Volunteer Defence Force) and was captured by the Japanese in December or January 1941 spending the remainder of the war in various POW camps. He survived and went on to become Director of Education for South-East Asia, surviving more than one assassination attempt by communist rebels and was awarded the CMG. Unsurprisingly he would not talk much of his war experiences.

My Grandfather's brother was a tail end charlie in a Halifax' date=' but killed in the Nuremburg Raid : March 30th/31st 1944. Shot down by a 110 by a pilot who laimed 6 further victories that evening. Very difficult to find info, but there are a few pages on the web. There are a few books no longer in print which have more details about Halifaxes and their missions, but they are very hard to come across.[/quote']

Wow, for those that don't know the Nuremburg raid on this night saw Bomber Command's heaviest loss of the war. out of 795 aircraft (572 Lancasters, 214 Halifaxes and 9 mosquitoes) 95 were lost. The bombing itslef was a failure.

The only 'Halifax' book i have is "From Hull, Hell and Halifax, An illustrated history of No.4 group" by Chris Blanchett. This group was heavily involved in that raid. Well worth it if you can find a copy at a reasonable price.

my grandapa was in ww2 he was 19 when he entered and he was for red lodge montana.

he shipped out 1943 for the pasific most noteble he fought at okinowa and layte gulf.he left the war as a satff sargent with 2 purple harts a silver star and a bronze star. when he left the service we went back to work in billings montana.

cant edit so ill do this

he was in the 90th infatry division "deadeyes" he was ur basic squad leader carried a m1 grand and from time to time a bar

My grandfather, granduncle and they 2 cousins were in Winter War (30 November 1939 - 13 March 1940) at Taipaleenjoki. Grandpa wounded 21.12.1939 from soviet artillery barrage.

The Battles of the Winter War

Taipaleenjoki: A Bloody River

They were back in fighting at the Continuation War (26th June 1941 - 5th September 1944) and when war was ending they fighting again at Taipaleenjoki.

Continuation War

On this site "Taipaleenjoki: A Bloody River" russian casualties 2000 to 3000 must be some kind of error.

12.1.1940 13. Army commander Vladimir Davydovitch Grendal informed Stavka (head courter) that his army had lost 11000 man as dead.

20000 to 30000 must be real figures.

My grandfather protected president roosevelt in world war two he was head of the bodyguard for him and got to ride on the same plane as the president and play poker in the back of the plane with his friends. He went to North africa and met WInston Churchill and after that he flew to the Yalta confrence and shook hands with Stalin. I have lots of pictures of yalta but my scanner doesn't work. He also would have been standing to the left of that yalta picture with the big three. I have a letter from yalta (his only written memoir of the war) it says that he and some friends when down to some port I can't remember and talked with CHurchill who personally thanked everyone of them for their work. After the war he worked with the FBI for a number of years he died in 1982 at the age of 82 S! to him

My great grandfather was in both wars he was at jutland when he was 16 he was on a trawler in world war two and patrolled the African coast for U-Boats

His son my other grandfather was too young to participate but was in edinburgh and walking by the firth of fourth when a HE111 was shot down overhead it was the first german plane to crash contact on british soil he and his wife still live in edinburgh

Tell some stories about threats ( I know presidents receieve something like 3000 a day) but serious ones that he actually took ation.

father of my grandfather was in RKKA 49th rifle division and my grandfather was in VVS,never asked him in which squadron.

Tell some stories about threats ( I know presidents receieve something like 3000 a day) but serious ones that he actually took ation.

If this question is directed to me I don't know he was the head of security. I would have to ask my uncle (his nephew) he would only talk to him about the war because he could trust him since he was in the special forces in vietnam.

More stuff from my family.

My great uncle was on the Ark Royal which had been sunk with almost all crew killed my grandmothers family were all worried about him but it turns out he and his brother decided to go to malta and get drunk and the ship had left. He also was at normandy shelling the beaches on some battleship he was the first man to get his tooth removed in normandy he had a terrible toothache so the dentist took it out.

My other great uncle was also on trawlers hunter u-boats and stukas attacked his ship he wa son the AA gun and shot the stuka down but the stuka crashed on him he survived and got some kind of medal.

Got some interesting facts from my Grandma.

Seems my Grandpa (The Halifax tailgunner) was a bit of a trouble maker in the military (But not in a bad way). One night I guess he got loaded something fierce in an english pub, got taken away to the tank by some MP's and managed to get his head stuck inbetween the tank's bars. After some yelling and screaming, he forced a wad of butter out of the MP's and a hacksaw. He managed to get his head out, and was off on his merry way after he sobered up the next day :) He continued on with the war.

Please post here to tell about your realtives who fought in the war

I will start

My grandfather on my mothers side was in the U.S. Navy

He joined when he was 17, lieing about his age. He was stationed in Guam for training. Unfortunatley or Fortunatley he completed his training at wars end and never saw fighting.

My grandfather on my fathers side was a lot younger and Joined the army post ww2 and was stationed in the american section of Berlin. I'm not sure what he did and have never really talked to him about it, he joined the memphis police department afterward and retired with the rank of Captain.

My uncle was forced at gunpoint by an s.s. waffen soldier, note the soldier was 13, anyways yea my uncle was forced to go to stalingrad , he somehow made it home since the 502nd was completly annhilated by the red army after the german surrender.

on my mum's side-

my grandma was a nurse

my grandad was a station master

on my dad's side

my grandma served in the British Army in AAA batteries on the south coast.

my grandad (he died almost exactly a year before i was born-so the tale is from my grandma) was in the RAF regiment in North Africa and was injured and captured a few days before his promotion (to squadron leader- (major)) was confirmed. He eventually escaped hospital in italy 3 times (the first resulted in recapture, the second was as a result of a broken leg jumping from a truck, the 3rd was successful). He worked with the Italian resistance and drew sketches and drawings of defence installations and gun positions before escaping back to the army (now in Italy) and then led troops back up the mountains to take the positions with the help of the drawings he made.

Hi All,

My Grandfather jouned the RAF in 1938 as a pilot, at the outbreak of the war he was transferred to Coastal Command flying short and long nosed Blenhams, By the Battle Of Britain, His Squadron was re-assigned to low leval bombing of german airfields and port installations. To say the least the last 2 remaining crews were split up and my grandfather found himself starpped into a Hurricane.

After that he transferred to Bomber Command and started training Canadian crews for the long awaited retalitaory attacks on mainland europe, he flew 29 missions before being grounded due to fact as he puts is, Them buggers can see in the dark''

he sat out the rest of the war behind a desk with my Gran ( there are still many honorary Uncles in the family with non UK accents) training crews and as he put it, ''having the worst moments of my life when the lads took off and counting how many returned.

I'm slowly putting all the info together on his exploits which are pretty interesting reading, He himself is still around and bugging the hell out of us with ''ach come on, your not telling me that Blen there is the same as the one I flew''

The one thing I know he would wish me to add is that for all that they went through on all sides at least people recognise what the spirit of people can achieve in time of hardship.

mmmmmm.........bit worrying that most are talking about grandparents, but anyway.....

My Father was an evacuee from London at the start of the war, then joined the RAF as aircrew in '44, they realised they wouldn't need all these bods trained up so he eventually ended up driving RAF armoured cars in Palestine.

Two of my wifes uncles were made pow's at Arnhem, a third was injured in north africa and a fourth was killed serving as a Gunner/Wireless Op on a Hampden in the RAF in 1940.

Back to Grandpa's, one was severly gased in wwi and was therefore exempt during wwii, the other served in the National Fire Service.

Thinking out loud,....... an uncle on my fathers side was in RAF, my Fathers ex business partner was a spitfire pilot, as was my Dads brother in law. erm, Father in law was in the Navy during the latter part of the war, as was his brother, my best mates dad was on motor torpedoe boats, and ended up clearing mines prior to D Day, my best mates wifes dad won medals for his antics as a navy diver.........................................................................