Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrfancyp

AMD 12.1 beta driver

5 posts in this topic

If you have trouble with trees killing your FPS try this driver and make sure to set your anti aliasing mode to multi-sampling.

I used to have lots of issues looking through binocs at tree clusters (for the past 2 years with various ATI cards), but this driver helped a lot.

The new driver was intended to give a performance boost for Elderscrolls: Skyrim. I suspect that since Skyrim also relies on speedtrees we might have gotten lucky somehow.

I just switched to the new AMD/ATI vid driver that came out this week. Mine says 11.12 and the release date is 12/13/11 but maybe we are talking about the same one. On my 32 bit XP with ATI HD 4850 vid card the stutters are gone, the shadows are better, the whole picture looks better but I have a very slight hit on the fps (5%).

I mention this because I had trouble with previous ATI driver versions and had been running 9.12 since January, 2010 and it occurred to me that there might be others in the same boat.

Your mileage may vary but this was a good upgrade for me.

trigr

I just switched to the new AMD/ATI vid driver that came out this week. Mine says 11.12 and the release date is 12/13/11 but maybe we are talking about the same one. On my 32 bit XP with ATI HD 4850 vid card the stutters are gone, the shadows are better, the whole picture looks better but I have a very slight hit on the fps (5%).

I mention this because I had trouble with previous ATI driver versions and had been running 9.12 since January, 2010 and it occurred to me that there might be others in the same boat.

Your mileage may vary but this was a good upgrade for me.

trigr

They released two sets of drivers last week, the normal ones and a beta driver. I was referring to the beta version, but if the normal one works for you it might be better to leave it at that.

Do I have unistall the old drivers or does it automatically do that?

I just installed the driver over the old one, which works most of the time. Sometimes it doesn't work though and then it can be difficult to get the driver to work properly. So I guess ideally you first uninstall the old driver (I think the install menu of the new driver lets you do that), then restart and install standard VGA driver, then restart and install the new driver.

I figured that since this is a beta driver there is some chance that it won't work anyway, so I might as well use the quick and dirty solution :)

Just compared beta preview to my 11.7's.

One or two FPS better in worst case scenarios looking at treelines under zoom.

Suspect your improvement was more due to turning some of the driver settings down to performance instead of quality.

That said, every little helps.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0