Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jon8798

Problem with Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick

27 posts in this topic

Had this joystick for ages, it has always worked fine with WWIIOL. Last used it in game on Tuesday 27th December. Today, nothing. I've updated drivers, used the detect controllers button in settings a hundred times, but nothing. I've not done anything to my PC since it worked on Tuesday, it's even plugged into the same usb port. Windows recognises it and it seems to work fine outside of WWIIOL.

I did a search and saw Lando reported the same joystick not working a few weeks ago but no one seemed able to solve it. This some kind of bug with Logitech controllers?

Had this joystick for ages, it has always worked fine with WWIIOL. Last used it in game on Tuesday 27th December. Today, nothing. I've updated drivers, used the detect controllers button in settings a hundred times, but nothing. I've not done anything to my PC since it worked on Tuesday, it's even plugged into the same usb port. Windows recognises it and it seems to work fine outside of WWIIOL.

I did a search and saw Lando reported the same joystick not working a few weeks ago but no one seemed able to solve it. This some kind of bug with Logitech controllers?

Can you rollback the controller drivers to a previous version?

Worth a try

If it works in Windows, then it should work in WWIIOL. No game-updates since 27/12, as far as I know.

Used mine yesterday and no problems at all.

Sorry I know you didn't want to hear that.

Of the few occasions it has been a pain in the arse has been if it has become disconnected in-game (cats, dogs...a few too many beers), then it is a case of exiting and restarting the PC with the joystick back in the correct USB port, as a footnote I have never updated the drivers for this joystick as far as I can remember.

Only thing I can suggest is possibly a clean re-install ?

Edited by expatpom

Dont use the logitech drivers. Check if the joystick is working in the windows control panel for game controllers.

Sometimes the old in-and-out game helps. No kidding, unplug the joystick, reboot the computer and plug it back in. Try the same with another port if that doesn't help.

Edited by rote7

Dont use the logitech drivers. Check if the joystick is working in the windows control panel for game controllers.

Sometimes the old in-and-out game helps. No kidding, unplug the joystick, reboot the computer and plug it back in. Try the same with another port if that doesn't help.

This! I never have used Logitech drivers, just whe I first plugged into USB port I let windows do the work for me. Maybe check various other USB ports just to make sure those are working.

Thanks for the ideas fellas. I've uninstalled the joystick and reinstalled it through the windows auto-installer, tried all the USB ports and still no joy.

Windows recognises it, the game controllers programme shows all buttons and axes working fine, the game just seems to have a problem with it. When I go to keymapper, all the defaults are messed up too. So trucks, aircraft and ATGs were set to no joystick, whilst tanks was set to joystick control. Even though I've always used the joystick for all of them.

Anyway, resetting the keymappers, detecting controllers again etc is still not working, so I am downloading the full game again. I'll do a complete clean reinstall once it's done and try again, see if that fixes it. I'll post again once it's all done.

Reinstalled game, fresh install for joystick, still doesn't work.

I have no idea what could possibly be wrong.

Google tells me that many people, and many games, have issues with this JS.

99% of the issues appear to be fixed by patches for the games in question. However, two things look like they might be appropriate (not game specific):

1. Have you installed any other USB devices? I even saw a post where a belkin usb external hard drive was causing a conflict. If you have installed/plugged in something else over xmas, uninstall that and see if it works

2. This is a bit mad, but it is quick to do: Seen a couple of people report that changing their GAME MODE in Windows (to XP/Vista) fixed the problem.

• Right click the WWIIOL desktop shortcut and do "Properties" then click the "Open File Location" Button
  • Find ww2.exe and right click it
  • In the Compatability Tab change to VISTA - Try running game and see if controller there
  • If not, exit game and set Compatability to Windows XP - Try again

Note: WWIIOL does not need to be run in compatibility mode, so even if it does fix your JS problem, you might experience other issues in game. If you do - or fix does not fix JS, make sure you reset compatability mode

(If Lando is still about here , try sending him a PM, maybe he fixed it?)

Thanks Branko, I'd seen threads talking about USB issues before so I've been trying it with nothing else plugged in except my mouse, but the compatibility mode was new to me. I gave it a go, but no joy unfortunately.

I ran into Lando in game as it happens. He said that the game still doesn't recognise his joystick.

I guess I'll keep looking in other tech support forums and seeing if it starts working again, but in the meantime I'm getting used to using an ATG with the keyboard...

Thanks Branko, I'd seen threads talking about USB issues before so I've been trying it with nothing else plugged in except my mouse, but the compatibility mode was new to me. I gave it a go, but no joy unfortunately.

I ran into Lando in game as it happens. He said that the game still doesn't recognise his joystick.

I guess I'll keep looking in other tech support forums and seeing if it starts working again, but in the meantime I'm getting used to using an ATG with the keyboard...

Sorry jon. It's odd that this particular JS is not recognised, it should be no different than any of the others for basic functions.

My only other suggestion is nip over the the HANGER Forum (here) and ask in there. Almost all pilots use a JS, so maybe someone has the same setup working?

I'll keep my eye out on some support-type forums I use, to see if anything comes up

Cheers

EDIT: Just to prove pilots are some use for something ;) ... Here is one bragging about his ... http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showpost.php?p=5939318&postcount=15

PM the fella ... It is working (at least somewhat) for someone ...

Edited by branko

I use the same joystick and "had" the same problems....dont know for sure what fixed it but it works fine now....the game still doesnt recognize the joystick but still runs it?????? how is that possible?

I use the same type of joystick, and have used it for years. I really like it with no problems.

I never installed any logitech drivers for it. It works for me on both PCs with WW2OL, both on Win XP and Win 7. Sorry you are having problems :(

what OS are you running?

Apologies for misquoting you Lando, I got the wrong end of the stick when I PM'd you the other day and thought it still wasn't working. If yours stated working again of its own accord, there is still hope for mine at least.

Onearmed - I'm using Windows 7. The interesting thing is that it worked last week and nothing was downloaded and no updates applied between the day it worked and the day it failed. For now I'm just putting it down as one of those annoying things that happens from time to time. I guess it's done ok for the last 3 years.

Are you using anything with the joystick like a different throttle? Do you see any exclamation marks in your device manager?

Edited by Baer

Same joystick, same problem. Very annoying.

Everything was running smoothly until 1.34

Joystick works perfectly with IL-2.

I re-installed the game with no luck.

Brasi - nope, using no other controllers apart from a regular microsoft mouse, no exclamation marks in device manager. As far as I can tell it works fine in windows and with other software. Looks like it just decided to develop a problem with WWIIOL for some reason.

You may have answered this but I have to ask..

Do you have the "joystick" seleted as the controller on the bottom right of the key mapper page? There an option for joystick or keyboard.

js.jpg

Tazz - yep, it's selected. I've tried switching it between the two whilst in game, switching it then rebooting and all combinations in between.

Thanks to Sniper62 for this one - it now works.

I opened the "Configure USB Game Controllers" programme and selected advanced settings. Then selected the Extreme 3d pro as preferred controller for 'older programmes' - and it works. Also running it in XP compatibility mode, so I wonder if it is a combination of the two that makes it work or just the first fix? I'll try and remember to turn off compatibility mode next time I start up and see if it still works. For now, I'm so excited that I'm going to go and get a hurricane shot down eleventy times.

Edited by jon8798

I opened the "Configure USB Game Controllers" programme and selected advanced settings. Then selected the Extreme 3d pro as preferred controller for 'older programmes' - and it works. Also running it in XP compatibility mode, so I wonder if it is a combination of the two that makes it work or just the first fix? I'll try and remember to turn off compatibility mode next time I start up and see if it still works. For now, I'm so excited that I'm going to go and get a hurricane shot down eleventy times.

yay! :)

No luck for me

Joystick was already selected in game controller.

help

:(

zakk - have you tried un-installing the JS through device manager then reinstalling the driver through windows auto update? Then set the preferred controller for older programmes again and give it a go. Also try running it in compatibility mode with older versions of Windows as that may have been what did it for me.

I'm not sure what the "Configure USB Game Controllers" program you're talking about is?

I'm have the same/similar problem with my joystick atm. Want to give this fix a go, but can't figure out what program you're talking about :(

Edit: nevermind, I found it :) giving it a go now.

Edit #2: It worked! :)

Edited by apocawsx

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0