Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fearny

Me no play :-(

59 posts in this topic

I don't know but sounds more and more as a antivirus problem??? Think I had something similar (not this game but other exe/game/program) some years ago

Going to remove McAfee completely and give that a whirl.

I'd reinstall windows honestly. something doesnt sound right with a lot of stuff on your computer

Didn't read through all the posts but had a similar problem and running in XP compatibility mode fixed it for me (on my Win7 machine).

A few people have resolved a couple of strange issues by going WinXP Compatible.

Try it fearny, you never know (quicker than a Hard Disk check ;))

ALSO: If that does not work.

If you can start first time after an install, but never again, then about the only WWIIOL thing I can see that would be getting corrupted is the settings xml file (which has screen resolution etc in it).

Try moving: My Documents / Battleground Europe / wwiiol.xml to your desktop (move, not copy)

Go to Windows Start - All Programs - Cornered Rat Software - Battleground Europe and run SETTINGS.EXE

Set your resolution to same as desktop and make sure your gfx card is selected.

Give it a whirl

(you will have lost any quality setting changes you have previously made).

Does it work?

We know that the issue is with your machine, somewhere, because offline does not work.

So, given it is none of the usual stuff, it must be something a bit odd ... So maybe a corrupt file.

Let me know ... Hope it gets cracked soon, fearny

Edited by branko

I'd reinstall windows honestly. something doesnt sound right with a lot of stuff on your computer

yep...this will fix just about anything and it gets rid of persistant viruses and other problems

If only i had my Windows disk :-(

Can anyone get it cheap? May as well take it up to Windows 7 whilst i'm at it...

If only i had my Windows disk :-(

Can anyone get it cheap? May as well take it up to Windows 7 whilst i'm at it...

Vista sucks! Good idea! But your CPU will struggle anyhow...

Vista sucks! Good idea! But your CPU will struggle anyhow...

It's never really struggled before, WWIIOL is all i've really used this PC for and so it's not had to cope with a lot. You think it's time for a new one?

If so, is it possible to upgrade just the CPU, I can't afford to upgrade the whole thing. How can i tell what my motherboard supports?

Ok, i've been googling and tinkering.

It appears I have a Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3 Motherboard, the Processor seems to be a Pentium Dual Core CPU E5200@ 2.50 GHz 2.50GHz.

I'm not that clued up but I paid the Gigabyte site a visit and found this...

http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2846

Mine appears quite a long way down that list, which I assume isn't great. It does seem like there's many CPU's I can change too, but I have no idea if any of them are any good? Which would be best?

If I upgrade my CPU and get a copy of Windows 7 will that help speed stuff up my end?

Edited by fearny

XP.jpg

At the risk of sounding immensely stupid, where do i find that screen?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it, no luck though :-(

Edited by fearny

It's never really struggled before, WWIIOL is all i've really used this PC for and so it's not had to cope with a lot. You think it's time for a new one?

If so, is it possible to upgrade just the CPU, I can't afford to upgrade the whole thing. How can i tell what my motherboard supports?

Ok, i've been googling and tinkering.

It appears I have a Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3 Motherboard, the Processor seems to be a Pentium Dual Core CPU E5200@ 2.50 GHz 2.50GHz.

I'm not that clued up but I paid the Gigabyte site a visit and found this...

http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2846

Mine appears quite a long way down that list, which I assume isn't great. It does seem like there's many CPU's I can change too, but I have no idea if any of them are any good? Which would be best?

If I upgrade my CPU and get a copy of Windows 7 will that help speed stuff up my end?

Don't want to kill your hopes, E5200 will do.

Gigabyte MB’s are good and that CPU have potential, so you need to overclock it.

You need: Little more knowledge, an ok PSU power and ok cooling ---> will cost you 0 paper money

Think Win7 will speed things up a little.

When you install keep everything else than game to a minimum.

Try also to disable all “Bling-Bling”. In control panel there are settings for maximum performance -à reducing graphics.

Don't want to kill your hopes' date=' E5200 will do.[/color']

Gigabyte MB’s are good and that CPU have potential, so you need to overclock it.

You need: Little more knowledge, an ok PSU power and ok cooling ---> will cost you 0 paper money

Think Win7 will speed things up a little.

When you install keep everything else than game to a minimum.

Try also to disable all “Bling-Bling”. In control panel there are settings for maximum performance -à reducing graphics.

PSU is 600W, is that powerful enough? Not sure about the cooling aspect.

I think i've disabled all the fancy gumpf, I just plod along running the game. Might double my RAM up anyway once i've got Windows 7.

If i may ask one more question; could I get the upgrade pack to Windows 7 or should i buy the full thing? I would imagine Win7 upgrade would re-write most of the stuff and fix any issues but would i be safer getting the full thing?

At the risk of sounding immensely stupid, where do i find that screen?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it, no luck though :-(

That sucks. It also sucks that the amount of tanks available for me to kill is going to drop dramatically once you get this all figured out.

PSU is 600W, is that powerful enough? Not sure about the cooling aspect.

I think i've disabled all the fancy gumpf, I just plod along running the game. Might double my RAM up anyway once i've got Windows 7.

If i may ask one more question; could I get the upgrade pack to Windows 7 or should i buy the full thing? I would imagine Win7 upgrade would re-write most of the stuff and fix any issues but would i be safer getting the full thing?

PSU sounds ok.

Stock (Intel) cooler?

-> Clean it with your vacuum cleaner.

Fresh install Win7!

More ram only if you go 64bit OS, but for this game you are good.

fearny,

If the settings app actually looks like that - with the #####s - then there's no hope of you getting it running as is.

(I think the wwiiol.xml file is corrupt, as that is where it would get those values from)

The cheapest thing to do - assuming your windows disk is no more - is to upgrade to Win7. But it isn't free; so hunting for ANY old VISTA CD is the only way you stand a chance for £0

As long as you have the KEY for VISTA, then any install CD will do.

(if you manage to find a CD, try booting from CD and doing a repair, before you go the nuke route)

.... and yeah, your system could do with some help, but it should - just about - play the game as is.

Best of luck, let us know.

Thanks again guys, time to hunt a Vista disk, I think the key is displayed on the system page. Someone on Facebook must have one :-)

Branko, if I manage to salvage Vista, is there anything I can do with <£120 I can do to speed up my PC? New PSU?

Kubel; I've never changed the cooler, i've got stock fans in there, 2 of them, one mounted over the PCU with an attached (NERO?) bit of kit, looks like a heatsink/radiator whatever they are called in Computer engineering worlds.

Ah, facebook, gotta love it, one Vista disk winging its way to me via snail mail!

Thanks again guys, time to hunt a Vista disk, I think the key is displayed on the system page. Someone on Facebook must have one :-)

Branko, if I manage to salvage Vista, is there anything I can do with <£120 I can do to speed up my PC? New PSU?

Kubel; I've never changed the cooler, i've got stock fans in there, 2 of them, one mounted over the PCU with an attached (NERO?) bit of kit, looks like a heatsink/radiator whatever they are called in Computer engineering worlds.

Ah, facebook, gotta love it, one Vista disk winging its way to me via snail mail!

Keep your stuff as it is, save your £ and buy a complete new rig later..

Just clean up interials with vacuum cleaner, remove dust on coolers, fans and other areas.

Then we can overclock it.

Keep your stuff as it is, save your £ and buy a complete new rig later..

Just clean up interials with vacuum cleaner, remove dust on coolers, fans and other areas.

Then we can overclock it.

I've got 4 kids, saving never happens, if i don't spend it they will :D

Internals got cleaned this morning, i'm sat here watching it download WWIIOL yet again, 20% done, 55 minutes remaining, anyone want a brew?

I've got 4 kids, saving never happens, if i don't spend it they will :D

Hehe! Search for a used E8500 or E8600 Intel CPU, should not cost you more then 40-45 £ (incl cooler, open buy for you to chk that CPU is not burt).

With an E8500 you can overclock up to maybe 3,8 GHz with stock cooler.

As kubel says above. < £120 isn't going to fix your machine. You should be able to get a CPU that is better than what you have, but with slow RAM speeds and MB you won't see all that much benefit.

I know, saving's tough. After 12 months I'm only half way to my budget for a new rig ... but honestly you'd be better hiding that £120 a way in a jar in your shed and putting another £100 away each month until Xmas. Come January 2013, you'll be good to go get something up to date (and good for £1100 or so)

Your existing machine should keep struggling on - here at least - for that long.

So ... Advice is to start saving ... if not possible, then see if you can get the CPU kubel is talking about, which will get you some performance enhancement (if you overclock it, which isn't too hard).

Hope the fixes here finally worked, when you get your VISTA disk? Let us know, fearny ;)

Sorry to hear it. Vista does not suck btw, I have had no issues since the first service pack. Vista was meat when it came out but runs just as smooth as my W7 computer.

Your problem sounds very odd, and may be registry related. I imagine a clean slate will fix you up.

Good luck. S!

I bought a CD for £4 that the guys in the PC repair place use to fix issues, 10 minutes later job done, Registry restore wizard section of it seemed to fix it...for now...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0