Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Silky

About to buy a laptop - help needed

9 posts in this topic

Limited in budget to about £600

Seems to be a choice - is the i5 sufficient to run the game?

What about other specs, RAM? Graphics cards?

I'm toying with the

Dell XPS15 £600

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2430M processor 2.40 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.00 GHz

4GB2 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M Graphics Card

All advice welcomed!

The laptop you're looking at will run the game, it won't be brilliant performance but it will run it.

That said, I'll agree with everyone else and say that unless you absolutely must have a laptop, save some money (or get better performance) and get a PC (either a bit cheaper, or same budget but better stuff).

(You can build your own PC ... It's pretty easy when you get down to it, like a big lego kit really ... That's the way to get the most out of your budget. You can't really build your own laptop)

:)

Unfortunately it has to double up as the family PC so Mrs Silky needs to be able to facebook while watching Eastenders in the lounge

Performance doesn't need to be uber, just decent enough that I can not have slide show in a busy city AO

Th options seem to be between i3 and i5, is there a real shift in performance from one to the other?

Unfortunately it has to double up as the family PC so Mrs Silky needs to be able to facebook while watching Eastenders in the lounge

Performance doesn't need to be uber, just decent enough that I can not have slide show in a busy city AO

Th options seem to be between i3 and i5, is there a real shift in performance from one to the other?

Silky, you should try get a laptop with as high "Turbo speed" as possible (minimum 3,0 Ghz), 2 Cores are fine, i5 or i3 isen't that big differens for your purpose, and GPU should be an dedicated one, its an Jungle out there.

But as one already stated, new generations are near on GPU and CPU so either wait (1 quarter) or buy "high end" old gen at good price

I will buy a new one in ½ year...

Buy her a decent smart phone for FB. My mrs hasn't touched her £1000 laptop since she got her new phone :rolleyes:

I built an excellent pc for around £600, you could do alot better than that laptop for £500 or less.

If you are set on a laptop..

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32352-7.html

Now includes mobile GPUs. The 525m is a long way down the list.

get 10 inch tablet for fb emails internet £100 build own rig with rest!! if get stuck il keep u rite

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0