• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hdeh

New PC, graphics issues

29 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just built a new PC because my old one died. Specs are:

- AMD Radeon HD 7970

- Asus P9X79

- Intel SB-E 3930k

- 16GB Quad channel DDR3

- 128GB Crucial M4 SSD

All latest drivers are installed.

(Edit: Also latest version of DirectX installed, in case that matters)

The problem is that foliage doesn't show up correctly (see screenshot below). It's especially bad when I'm close to it/in it, since it completely messes up vision. Has anyone had this before and does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks,

hdeh

wwiiol.png

Edited by hdeh
Added DirectX info

best guess is a video driver problem...play with the settings if you feel up to date on the drivers and see if that helps. Could be some sort of texture problem...do a once over on your bios also to make sure everything is set right.

did you use the ones on the disc that came with it? or try to download from AMD site?

that video card came out not too long ago so the drivers for it are not very immature yet

once you get it fixed up you should post your FPS scores so everyone can compare and see. Your first person I"ve seen that has posted you have this video card...not too many have a 7970.

Edited by Vampress

Thanks for your reply!

I've tried with both the drivers from the DVD it came with and their (newer) drivers from their website. I've also googled for problems with the 7970 drivers, but the only thing I can find is CrossfireX related problems (I only have 1 card so that's not applicable). I suppose I'll just have to play around with all the WWIIOL graphics settings to see if I can find a solution.

Any other games (like BF3/Skyrim) seem to run great so far. Apart from the foliage issues I also only get 40-60fps in non-populated areas of the map. That's the same as I get in BF3 (on high settings), even though it seems like WWIIOL should get a lot more FPS.. Am I mistaken?

Game is held back more by CPU then anything else...your going to get similar fps to those with i5 and i7 processors of similar Mhz.

quad channel from what I've read on it ONLY increased performance with highly threaded(lots of them) well coded server types of loads...its optimized for that and not for consumer software such as games so your not actually going to gain any significant fps with quad channel over dual(1155) or tri channel(1366) systems

Drivers to use are the latest ones on ATI website

If you're still struggling, please post your DXDIAG and we can take a fuller look

I have not seen anyone else post this issue, so must almost certainly be a settings issue, but I would say on the card itself, rather than in game (I don't think any in game settings effect trees??)

Game is held back more by CPU then anything else...your going to get similar fps to those with i5 and i7 processors of similar Mhz.

Oh, I did not know that. Thanks for that explanation! Once the graphics work properly I might give my (liquid) CPU cooler a run for its money and gain myself a GHz for some extra FPS :-)

Drivers to use are the latest ones on ATI website

I have the latest drivers (8.921.2.0 - released 8 days ago). I've also tried with older drivers but no luck unfortunately. I'm not sure which videocard settings to check related to this issue. Ideas?

I've pastebinned DxDiag output here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by hdeh

Cool! 7970... How much % does it use ingame?

I haven't really tested it much in-game yet since it's almost unplayable on the ground (grass is hip-deep 0% opacity black blocks), and I don't have a joystick yet for air-combat..

Did you buy ref design on fan?

It's a Sapphire card, but I don't think they changed much in terms of fan/cooling yet as the card hasn't been out long. As far as I know the main difference is the sticker on the fan and the software that I got with it (not remarkable)..

Once I get the game going properly I'll let you know my findings in terms of performance :-) Really looking forward to it, wwiiol has been one of the major motivations for building a decent box. Hopefully I'll get it to work soon!

I've played around with the 3d application settings in Catalyst, switched everything (antialiasing, anisotropic filtering, tesselation, vsync, tripple buffering) to high, switched everything to low/off, tried various other combinations and no luck it seems. I've also played with in-game settings. Does anyone have any other ideas? Should I just wait for a new driver to come out, even though this one works for all other games?

It's a real shame as only the foliage seems to be affected. Maybe I'll just have to try air-combat for now... Would be great if someone had a solution though.

Yep. Should be working just fine ...

... Not seen anyone else posting stuff like this, though

So - Stupid Questions:

General

Does the game run the same in offline mode?

BIOS is March 11 ... No chance they updated it? (nice machine, btw, mate :))

Video

Current Mode: 1280 x 720 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Are you running the game in that mode in WWIIOL settings? (but usually, if you aren't, you just CTD)

********** Seems like you tried this bit *************

Do you have the ATi Control Panel software Control Panel for you card? Can you set profiles for different games? If you can, set one up for WWIIOL, turn off any manufacturer overclock and turn off/down ALL settings. Run WWIIOL. Exit WWIOL. Turn stuff back on. Restart WWIIOL. Repeat until gfx goes wonky. TBH, nothing should really be causing what you are seeing ...

(If you can't make profiles for games, you'll mess up gfx in other games)

If you can run Skyrim etc all OK ... then there is nothing big wrong, so don't take stuff apart ;)

Audio

I can never get my Soundcard to select in WWIIOL settings, but my game runs OK - Is yours selected? (Probably means nothing, if is isn't)

Is it onboard sound, or a seperate card? If it is onboard, is there a problem with this game and onboard sound, as well as onboard gfx? (I have not seen any posts ...)

Mad thoughts

Is WWIIOL DirectX9 or OpenGL?? ... Link on official site is 404 and I can't remember ... Given it is old, is it something to do with DirectX9 install (Microsoft) ... I did say mad ...

... And this one will make you mad ... Have you uninstalled and then reinstalled WWIIOL??

Other than that ... when was the card released? If it is really new, maybe like vamp put earlier, they are just not stable (maybe for older tech??) yet ...?

(I'll see if I can find anything else)

Edited by branko

Thanks for your response

General

Does the game run the same in offline mode?

Yep, exactly the same.

BIOS is March 11 ... No chance they updated it? (nice machine, btw, mate :))

Thanks, I'm quite happy with it so far :-) There is a newer version - will try to upgrade. Although in the release notes nothing is mentioned that could be related to fixing this issue as far as I can tell..

Video

Current Mode: 1280 x 720 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Are you running the game in that mode in WWIIOL settings? (but usually, if you aren't, you just CTD)

Yep, the same settings. I've also tried with other resolutions, which don't crash the game but still give me the same foliage issues.

********** Seems like you tried this bit *************

Do you have the ATi Control Panel software Control Panel for you card? Can you set profiles for different games? If you can, set one up for WWIIOL, turn off any manufacturer overclock and turn off/down ALL settings. Run WWIIOL. Exit WWIOL. Turn stuff back on. Restart WWIIOL. Repeat until gfx goes wonky. TBH, nothing should really be causing what you are seeing ...

Yes, I've overridden the game settings with Catalyst to see if that helps. I've tried with various configurations, but no luck.

Mad thoughts

Is WWIIOL DirectX9 or OpenGL?? ... Link on official site is 404 and I can't remember ... Given it is old, is it something to do with DirectX9 install (Microsoft) ... I did say mad ...

I'm not sure what to do with this, but I have installed various versions of DirectX seperate from WWII:OL with virtually no noticable effect (perhaps I did it wrong - I don't really know..)

... And this one will make you mad ... Have you uninstalled and then reinstalled WWIIOL??

Yes, same thing..

Other than that ... when was the card released? If it is really new, maybe like vamp put earlier, they are just not stable (maybe for older tech??) yet ...?

Yes, it's a pretty new card, and AMD has been known for releasing great cards with rubbish drivers. But as far as I know, there are only CrossfireX driver problems at the moment (non-applicable to me). I guess I'll have to wait for AMD to release new drivers, and pray that it will solve the problems - that is, if the drivers are in fact the problem..

Thanks for your help, it's really appreciated. If any more suggestions come to mind, please do let me know - I'm really eager to play again!

OK, so you've tried everything I know about ...

Make a post over in the Bugs Forum, with the screenshot you posted at the top.

http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Just put the same system specs as in the first post

At least the RATs will then know about the issue.

Sorry I can't suggest anything else, Google comes up with, like you say, some articles/reviews about "some driver problems" ... if it is that, hope ATi get a new set out soon.

Thanks, I'll post a bug report now.

Also, someone asked about performance in a previous post. I get around 110 fps in non-populated areas of the map (flying). The foliage problem hasn't been solved so I haven't really played much infantry - so I can't tell you too much about busy areas - but flying over towns with a lot of action hasn't dropped my framerate beneath 35 fps (playing 1920x1200, highest settings). Quite happy with it apart from the foliage issues, and some recent CTDs.

Bought a joystick (Saitek X52) too, since the graphics only allow me to fly - and absolutely loving it! :-)

Thanks for your response

Yep, exactly the same.

Thanks, I'm quite happy with it so far :-) There is a newer version - will try to upgrade. Although in the release notes nothing is mentioned that could be related to fixing this issue as far as I can tell..

Yep, the same settings. I've also tried with other resolutions, which don't crash the game but still give me the same foliage issues.

Yes, I've overridden the game settings with Catalyst to see if that helps. I've tried with various configurations, but no luck.

I'm not sure what to do with this, but I have installed various versions of DirectX seperate from WWII:OL with virtually no noticable effect (perhaps I did it wrong - I don't really know..)

Yes, same thing..

Yes, it's a pretty new card, and AMD has been known for releasing great cards with rubbish drivers. But as far as I know, there are only CrossfireX driver problems at the moment (non-applicable to me). I guess I'll have to wait for AMD to release new drivers, and pray that it will solve the problems - that is, if the drivers are in fact the problem..

Thanks for your help, it's really appreciated. If any more suggestions come to mind, please do let me know - I'm really eager to play again!

Read something about your card and AMD drivers not supporting it a few days ago.

AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition 3700MHz

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO

Memory size 8 GB Quad channel DDR3

ATI Radeon HD 7970 (TAHITI XT)

Windows_7_64

8.921.2 RC11 AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 driver

5ddb71e9dec1.jpg

i got some good help / advise / confirmation of my assumptions from this site

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-33.html

a lot of very helpful people .

now as its only this one game that messes up - i might hazard a guess they might not have any words of wisdom .. but only costs you the time it takes to post the question.

im no expert but my gut says it a driver thing not communicating with WWIIO graphics code. couldnt hope to prove it though .. just a hunch.

i guess posting something to ATI / AMD themselves could get you somewhere .. its one of the issues of having cool new kit ... not always 100% good to work with everything esle out there and not enough people have used it, run into errors, posted up questions and got answers.. on the flip side - what you find out might help those comming after you ..

good luck

So has anyone tried the beta to see if this is fixed? Waiting on confirmation to ship it live.

The server wont let me play the beta it says subscription locked for all the persona's. I too have a 7900 series card. Would hate to have re-activated my membership only to find out i cant play the game.

The server wont let me play the beta it says subscription locked for all the persona's. I too have a 7900 series card. Would hate to have re-activated my membership only to find out i cant play the game.

I hope you mean AMD not nvidia.

I HAVE A 7970 AND DONT GET THE PROBLEM WITH 12.3 DRIVERS

i do get it with 12.4 drivers so try the 12.3

I have this exact same issue (same card)

Ill try the drivers suggested in post above

can it make my pc run it better if 12.3 too?

i havent yet installed new or older drivers my self without steam so i dont even know what is my driver`s version... where i can see it?

can it make my pc run it better if 12.3 too?

i havent yet installed new or older drivers my self without steam so i dont even know what is my driver`s version... where i can see it?

Open the control center, check under "information" and then "software" and you'll find the version.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0