Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
techs

New players are cannon fodder.

25 posts in this topic

New players, especially pilots, don't stand a chance. How can a newbie possibly compete with someone that has 10 years experience in the game? A server for 1st year players might help!

Everyone was there once my friend. I suggest joining an air squad, watching air combat videos of wwiionline players on youtube, and just plain trying out new things on the practice/training server.

Yup everyone feels this when starting, and it is the same in every player vs player game there is...

Our big difference is that a day one rifleman has the exact same 'hit points' and 'armor' as a rifleman that has been playing for 10 years...

The way to get better is ask in game and join a helpful squad. Most squads are not looking for veterans, they are looking for active players that will be logging into the game often!

Good luck

Everything has a learning curve, granted the curve in this game is steep especialy as to the air game.

But when you do master it you've accomplished something. It takes pratice, it takes team work and it takes some knowledge of combat manuvering.

This is definately not a game you can jump into and score. I have always considered the fact that it took a little understanding, skill and cunning a big plus.

Im an LTAP (less than ace pilot) and I struggle at flying a lot but I still go back after 8 years!

One easy way to increase your survivability is to fly with someone else - safety in numbers.

Also, you might want too look at these websites as they are very useful. It helps you understand how to fly better - not perfectly, but better.

E.g. do you have an aircraft that turns well? How do you use that in combat? What should you do/should you not do etc?

Aircraft Descriptions and the sort of things you should aim to do with them.

http://www.hoofsperformance.wwiionline.com/

A good read to learn abotu what you need to be thinking about - what is E? What is a lead pursuit? How do you Scissor?

http://web.comhem.se/~u85627360/inpursuit.pdf

I wish you luck!!!

Smy.

Dont worry to much about dying many of us still do it alot my k/d is dire.

Join a Squad, get on TS3 if u can it helps alot and read all the help articles you can even ones out of date have gems of information which help.

If your playing axis feel free to pm me .m cuchulauin I`m on fairly often

and I`ll do my best to give u a hand. (I cant fly btw)

S!

http://battleground-europe.net/ alot good stuff here.

Edited by cuchulauin

Also with the flight simulator aspects of this game. Many players have experience from other FS or Combat FS style games before coming onto this one. WarBirds, Aces High, etc. The air combat takes a loooot of patience and practice. You also have to be 100 percent into it. If you’re only remotely into it or not taking it wholly serious you’ll get shot down a lot easier because you have to pay attention to everything in the air. Situational awareness and timing and communication. But I wouldn’t let the areo part of it get to you. If dog fighting combat flying isn’t your thing there’s other flying aspects of this game. Bombers and transportation planes are two different areas of flying in the game where you can fly without so much or any of the dog fighting/twisting and turning to survive every second style of flying. You'll die a lot in this game period especially as someone new to the game, but even as a veterian of the game (but not as much.) Youll see veterians dying all the time on the ground infantry side. This game doesn't have health bars, potion healing, or self-automatic-healing, or any of that stuff. One or two shots and you're dead in infantry. About the same with tanks. So dying is part of the game and fun of it.

One advice in regards to infantry would be when guarding cps is too stay away from windows or doors. Stay in a corner or low to the ground. Hug the wall if you can. If you're helping cap/recap/guard a CP and you're standing near the window or moving all over the place inside you're more easy to be snipped or killed by an enemy infantry running in shooting smg/lmg than if you're out of sight inside the cp. Bushs are fair cover but not full proof. Tanks usually or eventually will see you hiding in bushes (ie you don't become the bush hehe.)

When spawning into an AO don't do an ant trail into town and if you die try another direction in so not to give enemy a sign where your fru is or an advantage to keep killing you over and over again while you keep going down the same bush trail.

Work with other players. Communicate in mission/target chat. Mark things. It's a game of working together and situational awareness. And again dont get discouraged if you die. Everyone in the game was new.

Good luck.

Everyone was there once my friend. I suggest joining an air squad' date=' watching air combat videos of wwiionline players on youtube, and just plain trying out new things on the practice/training server.[/quote']

This.

I sucked when I started to fly.

Then I started breaking about 1:1.

Then I started pouring over guncams on YouTube, learning how the aces fly.

I'm not patient enough to be one of the greats, but I regularly haul in ace missions and my KDR is usually above 5.

Practice.

I'll go with what others have said.

IF you want to fly then yes it does take patience, as has been said spend time watching youtube videos, and remember that each aircraft has its own characteristics.

Fly with a couple of others if you can, even if its just on a mission rather than a squad and watch what others do. Yes you will die often but as soon as you start breaking even it really is such a good feeling and you'll remember the "hard" times as ones you spent learning.

I, until recently, really REALLY sucked at infantry combat in WWIIOL and I've been playing on and off since 2002.

About 6 weeks ago I decided I'd finally try and crack it and put the time and effort into it, after a couple of weeks of being cannon fodder I really was doing so much better and really REALLY enjoying that aspect of the game.

Stick with it and you will find it's worth it.

All I can say is pay attention to your kia's and try to learn something from each one. Also, try flying with the sole intent of staying on someones 6 for a while. Don't shoot, just don't let them shake you if they can. When you feel you are losing the ability to stay on the nme plane, then practice getting out of that mess. Once you practice that for a while, all you will have to do is pull the trigger occasionally.

I've been playing this game for 2-3 months now.

The first week, maybe longer I had no idea what I was doing.

I was getting shot from everywhere without ever seeing an enemy player.

And after a while, Hé there is an enemy over there. The enemy often noticed me earlier then I noticed him and I died in the process.

But dying while seeing the shooter was very different then just dying.

Now I sometimes see him first and get the kill. My aim with my rifle has improved by far and I often win a close combat 1-1 battles against a submachine gunner.

It takes practice, but noobs are the veterans of tomorrow.

Or well, in this game the veterans of next week.

Not so.

On the ground in a tank I do great, as a infantry I do so so after 9 years.

After 9 years flying...........I still SUCK HARD.

Find your specialty and stick to it.

I can tell you this as a new player myself: the learning curve in this game is STEEEEEEEP. It is probably the steepest learning curve I've even seen in a game. With that being said, I am finding a great deal more success with the game play when I started to think more tactically. For example, rather than following the "ant trail" to town from an FRU, I move off to the side of it, work my way in slowly, and move cover to cover. Infantry work I'm finally starting to get down (no expert, but getting better day by day). Next up comes tanks for me.

The moral here, don't play this game like an FPS (not saying you are, just in general). In the air, don't just dive into a fight willy nilly. Pick and choose your battles. If you don't think you can get in and out successfully, DON'T do it! It may make for slower game play, but you will enjoy your kills more and THAT will make you enjoy your game more.

You never know how bad you are until Graf is shouting in your ear on TS3 about how "Narg you suck! You're as bad as me." This was after getting on the close 6 of a spit 9 with an f4 and missing every shot.

Canuk is one of the best tankers in the game. But i don't fear him in the air. And i'm not even a good pilot.

Everyone has their thing. Mine used to be the mortar, before they made it easy mode with laser range finders.

Edited by narg

Agreed with infantry. EIs are always hiding. Bushes, buildings, behind trees, etc. Sometimes an EI might "scout" an CP before he/she rushes in to take it. So if you're doing a CP check run, and you drop dead just outside the door...it could be an EI sniper in that one white or red building over or across from your CP. Stuff like that. Snipers are the thing too look for. LMGs of course also, but Snipers and those good with rifles. They can hit you from long distance from the attic of buildings, and you wont even know it. Sometimes if Im spawning as an infantry out of army base I feel like I have to have eyes all over the place. Esp if EWS is high. Ei snipers can be anywhere. Church tower usually the first place to look. Its a magnet to EI snipers on both sides of this game. And some players are into the stats so they play just about only sniper/rifle infantry. So my point is situational awareness again. Stay alert. Practice on offline mode or training server.

You see a lot of the Axis vs Allied thing on the forums or Allied squads doggen Axis squads and vise versa. This side is better than that side thing. But thats just game play fun competition stuff (at least 75 percent of the time lol). In reality there are a lot of great squads on both sides. JG51 and JG2...excellent excellent squads if you're an Axis only BF109 player and into flying. If you're Allied than various of the RAF ones. 4Wing is awsome group. Pick what side you like the best (Allied or Axis) and work the trainers, help channel (F6), and vet/squad players over there. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Keep in mind a lot of the bigger squads require you to stay Allied or Axis for at least that campaign some being totally Allied or Axis only no matter what. So find the side you like playing first (Allied or Axis) and than go from there. Practice, and again dont be shy in asking questions.

Edited by trimarchi

techs,

the best advice any vet will give you is this.

dont give up, be patient, dont be a "lemming".

If you want to fly, get a joystick. Don't try to shoot anyone down, just find the heaviest concentration of enemy aircraft you can and try to survive as long as possible. I have been playing since 2005, and I literally had 0 air to air kills for the first 2 years i played. now, 7 years later, i can actually manage 1 or 2 a campaign. I.E. i suck as a pilot, but I can still survive for a while now at least.

on the ground, dont rush out of a spawn as infantry, never go straight to an objective, remember that you have smoke and hand grenades to clear out those pesky capture points before you rush in.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT:

dont get stuck thinking you ONLY have to play axis or allies. Alot of people will call you a spy, traitor, side switcher, etc until they get to know you, but I know there are people on both sides that respect my ability to play this game simply because I play for the moment and not for the long haul.

If you play the under populated side, you always get more action, which means you will improve that much faster, plus you will gain a better understanding of the mechanics of both sides equipment.

it is absolutely essential to join a squad

there are a number of threads in the recruitment forum

that is the best place to engage people

or you can go ingame and ask on teh side channel

Get in the air, on channels 55 or 20 depending on side and start chattin people up. Find out whos flying and start doggin them around. Ask to join their comms on TS ( even Ive never been refused,LOL) We dont bite. All the air squads take pilots, especially now days that our numbers have been so dramatically decreased. 2 eyes are wayyyyyyy cool if ur a cyclops, if ur a pilot 2 aint nearly enough

Y0U are the future here, not us. :cool:

don ,t fly with jg51 then fly with us 19RAF are always looking for new pilots :D

Take a look at this it may help http://www.troopers.fi/~juuba/ww2ol/guides/dinghao/airtoair1.html

If your flyin for the axis, DO try to fly w jg51. friendly doodz who will help you out. if your flyin allied, then fly with gregiepoo here. He's a killa.

Better yet, try to fly with both and see what group you like the most then stick with it.

e

If your flyin for the axis, DO try to fly w jg51. friendly doodz who will help you out. if your flyin allied, then fly with gregiepoo here. He's a killa.

Better yet, try to fly with both and see what group you like the most then stick with it.

e

I am trying everthing I can to get new players to join are squad :) todays CANNNON FODDER TOMORROWS TOPGUN .

Most importantly when you first start out playing, go with what you already know, then work into the other things. Then watch what others are doing and ASK questionsNot asking or asking belligerently are the #1 reason you don't get an answer.

Good luck and good hunting.:D

....most importantly - don't listen to those who who talk of bias between kit, sides or design, or ezmode this or ezmode that....you will never see the true game if your view is distorted in this way.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0