Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XOOM

[MANDATORY] AAR's - After your cycle

82 posts in this topic

We need you to fill out AAR's, at least one Squad rep should be taking care of this. I need to know without hunting you on Teamspeak what sort of real results you're gathering, and feel confident that you are dedicated to making this work.

Doesn't need to be a book, just some basic to the point answers.

Failure to conduct AAR may result into removal from Host Squad project.

Please provide a debrief / volume count / retention / aar, etc.

What worked?

What didn't?

Engagement strategy(ies)?

Recommendations?

We got about 60 trials in our 24 hour rotation. Of that number about half played Axis. From the ones that played Allied (that we came in contact with. cant play 24-7) we were able to communicate with about 5. 1 or 2 used squad chat on their own, but we found you usually have to pm them before they will say anything.

SAMCRO

In our 72 hour rotation we got about 120 I believe. out of that we gained 2 new Euro players and about 6 new TZ2 US players out of that we got 3 on TS. About 12 were playing allied.

Comms okay but we just kept spamming in Squad chat to join us on TS with server and password info about every 5 mins or so. plus tried pming them tried getting them re-act on squad chat. Also we are trying to get them to play with the squad and move with squad about 85-90% of them Lone wolf or do their own thing.

Have mixed emotions on this as well starting to effect my vet members and my regular numbers going down :( anybody else noticing some of these concerns?

after our run at this. We took in about 247 members. When I was online i saw about 85% of the players playing German.

we talked to about 5 players. almost no comunication at all. we keep spaming in squad chat, and sent out pm's. we had no luck getting anyone on TS. signed up 3 memebers. will continue too keep trying too comunicate with the remainig recuits as time marches on. We will see how many stay.

My vets too were getting alittle frustrated as well. I think its because we wanted too help.. after seeing all the german players it was a bit frustrating due too the fact that we did not reach too many players...

thank you,

Bota11

During the 23rd's time with the new members we gained roughly 330 members to the squad.During that time we transferred (at least I am aware of) 6 people to other squad, had 20 join us on squad chat and squad missions and another 15 joined us on teamspeak.

I would guess that 70% of the people who joined only played Axis, 85% of the people who joined did not respond to any communication even using the .grab in game.

If you are able to talk to them you'll more than likely be able to talk to them you'll more than likely get them to join you on squad missions and start to teach them.

SAMCRO AAR for 3/330/12-4/3/12

SAMCRO was at 87 members went up to 257 out of that we made contact with about 12 new players buy using the new trainer tools and as well we where able trade a noob with Allied and that count was about 6, And we new have 6 new players in the squad using TS and squad chat still going through the list now.. :)

Written by genxs:

AAR:

1st Assault received about 48 new members ariving at 65 members.

From the 12 or so i contacted i used the trainer tools on 4 of them playing german. Had 3 of them beeing afk/unresponsive. The other was a returning player known to the game and on his way again within minutes.

The others i contact on the allied side through squad/pm. Only 3 or 4 responded and were helped through the spawning, missions and depot process. In the coming week i hope to contact some more of them.

Comments:

The .grab seems very practical though it would be handy if other comms like channels and pm were filtered out or responded to with an 'Not functioning when Grabbing' to avoid accidental misdirected messages (habbit).

A slight majority of the new players seems to favour german. We tend to at least get them on our side for one showcase of their prefered activities making a decision.

Request:

It seems to me that it could be kinda hard to track who contact who and what resulted. With larger squads that seems even more tricky. Perhaps a simple sign-off list where we can ;

- per squad (using regular login) view the list of members

- click the relevant player in the list

- add comments to his list

- if completed sign him off as 'has been contacted'

Covers most of what i would have said and some more. I contacted around the same number. Of the Axis ones i contacted i have gotten a response from 1 who i traded to sid49, i was away this weekend so didnt contact as many as i would have liked but, out of the ones who joined i have gotten a response from 1 and he has been tagging along with the squad.

4/6 - 4/7 13th INF REGT

13th Inf had around 44 members joined.

I saw 8 start on the Axis side and were found homes, 3 I had help from Trainers and the others i got them to speak to Axis players in game and got them recruited that way.

3 players looked promising meaning they engaged us and asked questions.

The rest just ignored all calls, some even ignored me when i .grab them.

This is typical of a Holiday period and I have seen it before, bored kids on the Free Trial running around firing at everything, knife fights between each other, and smoking friendly tanks had 2 recruits doing that. They were told to quit it.

######

2 things we noticed was;

1. The need to explain to the new guys that they have automatically joined a Squad/Guild/Clan, some may not relise.

2. When you have recruits playing the opposite side and need to find a new home for them, Trainers but inform others of the recruits preference either Infantry/Tanks or Air, so the correct squad can be found.

101st rotation: 4/10-12

We gained over 78 players to the squad over our time period. Of that 78 we found homes on the axis side for about 20 of them. We were able to pick up about 15 members who played with us and were responsive in squad chat. I sent one player the 13th inf, and one to a French speaking squad as that's all he spoke (that was an adventure).

What worked:

-PMs to the players that are on your side. Tell them that they have joined your squad, that F4 is squad chat, and type .r to reply. I saw about a 90% success rate using this method.

-Find the player and physically go to them in game. If a player wasn't responding or was but was still unable to find you. I did a .who of the player, found where they were and spawned their mission and went Directly to them. From here I would use area chat and explain the different chat features and how to follow me and join me on different missions.

I also add that this method allowed me to bridge the language barrier with a guy who spoke only French and I speak only English. By going to him and using area chat I was able to speak one to three word phrases and he did the same. I then Googled what he said and figured out he only spoke French. I then found a French speaking squad and got him linked up with them.

-.grab I really only used .grab for players on the other side, but my approach was always the same as if I was in PMs or on squad chat.

What I did:

Player has logged in

Hello player, welcome to the 101st Airborne

Press F4 to talk in squad chat

Also if you could please register on our forums at www.oldabe.net

I am on this mission $here

If you click the squad tab then double click my name and join my mission you will come to me.

Usually after I say that F4 is squad chat I got some kind of reply from them.

I really don't have anything that didn't work. From my squad the biggest complaint was a lot of unresponsiveness. I found that by continually trying to engage the new players that the likely hood of them responding increased.

The rest of my squad has mixed feelings on the whole program. They were skeptical at first going into it because they didn't want to put so much effort into a <5% retention rate. They also expressed concerns about growing too large as a squad (this is still a concern, and my #1 priority). We have always been of the opinion we can do with a few what most other squads do with numbers. I'm not saying we are the best squad, but if anyone follows the squad challenge or has competed against the 101st in it you know a few of us can be a tough force to beat even if we're out numbered.

THe other main reason a lot of my squad is worried about this program is they don't want to lose our identity. Right now everyone in the squad knows everyone on a pretty good level. We are all good friends and we make really strong bonds between each other. A lot of them feel this is because we are a smaller squad.

I feel really good about the host squad program and how it worked out for the 101st, and the game. It is a lot of work, and since I was doing most of it for my squad it does get a little frustrating at times, but it was worth it in my opinion.

The last thing I will add is the problem I initially had with recognizing the new guys at first. I didn't realize they were just in the squad. I expected getting a notification that Player has just joined the squad. Instead it was just unfamiliar names logging in on my squad chat. I don't know if there is any way to change this, but it would be nice to see that.

Also many times the new players weren't aware they were even in a squad which eddie mentioned.

Overall I think our attitude towards the program was a good one. This is a great way to increase numbers and player retention. S! to all the squads here and Good luck

Shad0w64

Ok this is initial - from 7th AST's last rotation

139 new players (Using squad member #'s as a gage)

25 (ish) responded on text

1 online at the time of this post...

i personally didn't use .grab this rotation, mostly becuase no one one german side would respond the few times the opportunity presented itself.

I realise this is probably a coding request that is not possible short term, but is there any way to filter members as to game join date? I've now got 924 in 7th AST with 700(+) being rookies.... for some reason teh 7 day drop has never worked for my squad..... I honestly can't tell who's new and who isn't unless I'm online and see them

the 7 day drop never got fully implemented.

b2k Every 6 months or so I go through my in game roster and delete any recruit who i don't recognize that is over 30days old. This keeps out the clutter. I also promote anyone to member as soon as they register on our forums to keep track of the active members and the 14day trial and done guys.

Just a suggestion.

dont have the numbers but this last go around 23rd picked up alot of new members to the squad that seem to be sticking around...did alot of trading noobs with axis trainers...overall the system seems to be getting better as we learn how to deal with the newbies

the 7 day drop never got fully implemented.

b2k Every 6 months or so I go through my in game roster and delete any recruit who i don't recognize that is over 30days old. This keeps out the clutter. I also promote anyone to member as soon as they register on our forums to keep track of the active members and the 14day trial and done guys.

Just a suggestion.

I have a question..is there a dot command too look at the roster of squad players in game? i have alot of players not playing or are trial players i want too boot.

I have a question..is there a dot command too look at the roster of squad players in game? i have alot of players not playing or are trial players i want too boot.

Use the squad tab when you bring up your map and you can see every member recruited online.

S! Fellow Squads,

We started our Host Squad Tour on Monday Night after speaking with Xoom. It was overall a pretty enjoyable event with the outcome I thought it would be as far as numbers and participation.

Pre-Host Squad Number 426

After-Host Squad Number - 567

I got around 4 members from it. Everyone who came on TS3 ended up joining the Squad. I had probably a couple dozen overall join missions at one time or another so it was cool to see new guys enjoying themselves.

I think about 30% of the guys we approached spoke with us and only a fragment of them actually really talked to us and an even less number got on TS3. We had only me and one other guy online that were Trainers for it but next time I should have all of my trainers online to assist as it won't be on the fly.

Most of the "problems" I saw have already been said in these forums. The lack of recruit knowledge that they are in a squad and the basic communication skills that go along with it. Those 2 being solved early and quickly is probably the best way to keep a recruit moving a long to the next level. Getting the guys to the fight was the next challenging thing as most of them did not really understand the map system itself and the AO/DO system (Which is fine by me because I can talk about the map all day). My next issue would be training area (ei: rough teaching tank movements/tactics with K3ep3r in a DB-7) but if the Beta Server is the new training server than we can just shift fire to it.

Overall, I knew these would be the issues so there were no real surprises. I came away with a positive feeling from this and I believe those in my squad have as well. We will take what we have learned from this experience and improve for our next iteration.

Windhund CO

IKW Trainer

6th Armee CO

AAR 4/26 - 4/29

13 INF REGT had 175 members join.

As a squad we were better prepared the second time round, we managed to get a quite few guys on mission running with us a couple got on TS3 and two have registered on our forums.

Again after a lot of cajouling on Squad chat and .grab players very few actually converse and are more that happy just to run around getting a feel for the game.

I do find alot of green tags on the busiest parts of the map without much direction needed, which i feel is good. Just needs pointing out what a CP is, why its needs protecting, and by checking for marks on the map which direction the enemy are coming from.

S! XOOM and fellow Squads

just a quick note in regards to the .grab. After getting one of our recruits on ts3 he commented that when i used .grab the whistle and message in red had him worried at first that he had done something wrong. My CO Rosshole00 used .grab feature on me and i see what he meant, that it could be a little intimidating for a newbie. Just wondering if it would be possible to do a minor change in the wording.

Ex. instead of saying game manager (GM) maybe it could refer to Host squad trainer.

One thing that i found a little helpful was to spawn in on the same mission and find the recruit in game before approaching them via chat and/or .grab.

Windhund NCO

Ehstrike

5/2 - 5/7

Had a ton of new players, but was not able to get a pre-rotation number as I was away. At campaign start had 26 new players still with the squad, though most of them have started to bleed off as the free-trial ends.

101st AAR 5/13-16

We didn't get put on the rotation until the 15th.

volume count - During our time as the host squad We didn't gain any new members. From 265-265

What worked? N/A

What didn't? N/A

Engagement strategy(ies)? N/A

Recommendations? Better communication of when squads are going to be host squad and making sure they are the host squad for their actually scheduled time.

5/2 - 5/7

Had a ton of new players, but was not able to get a pre-rotation number as I was away. At campaign start had 26 new players still with the squad, though most of them have started to bleed off as the free-trial ends.

Further info:

Squad roster has gone up by over 400 members during our combined 3 rotations so far. Looks like we've got 1 new member that is still playing. From a census of the squad members is looks like 19 of 20 that joined played nearly exclusively german. Most that joined especially during TZ3, and early Euro are non-English speaking..

No clue what worked as even using .grab would not generate text responses (experienced this first hand).

Edited by b2k

Just saw 1stAssault hasnt gotten an AAR in...sorry thought we had....ill try and remember. We got about 140 new members, i was able to engage id guess about 30, not sure what bumbers genxs got. traded several to the axis host squads and 3 to 250hispania. I beleive we have 2 that still play and the rest just kind of stopped. Id also like to add that of the players from previous rotations that we engaged and played with most of them (if not all) slowly stopped playing, most likely as trial ran out.

Sorry for post AAR on last two rotations been really busy in RL and work..

SAMCRO AAR

We are now up to 540 members I would say Little over 250 plus are active from what I can see.

We are still working with trainer tools and trade a noob program. Will be doing some house cleaning on roster to really get an understanding if how many we now have active on a regular basis. I think things are heading in the right direction getting a lot more activity from green tags as well getting them on ts. Sorry for delayed AAR on last two rotations. Will make sure to get a more indepth and on track report after next rotation.

!S Sgtblunt SAMCRO CO

25-27 AAR Windhund

I'd like to start by saying that since we had done it once before and we could plan for it this time that we were much more prepared for this iteration.

We started at 630 and ended up at 780. I had roughly 8-10 join us on TS3 and 4-6 register to join the Squad. We were better able to make use of our time and efforts interacting with the players by pretty much mainstreaming our first interactions with the New Players then talking them into the flow of the game at an individual level.

The main thing that was an issue (and it's be posted prior) was that most of all players had no concept of them being in a Squad or how to interact with other players. A few were returning players and they assumed that it was the old system. I have no other solutions to this problem that have no been posted. It's be no means a deal breaker but it just things easier to have those initial steps already in place.

I still had about 75%-85% German and the rest playing Allied. We tried to get them homes when possible so they could maximize their fun.

101st AAR from 5-29/5-31

Sorry for the delay, I don't play a lot during the week, and Shadow has been busy with Fire Training.

We appeared to have gone from 266 tp 348 in terms of total members. About 2 have signed up with our forums as of this writing, it does appear many kind of play and don't come back.

We have had a hard time with some of our long term squaddies, they're stubborn but we are working hard to get them more involved in helping to retain people. We have extensively lowered our rules and standards over the past year and a half, due to dwindling game numbers, so this program I feel is important.

101st AAR from 6-14/6-18

As usual many of the new players went axis. Picked up 1 or 2 that I know of (haven't been in game since the weekend) it seems like a lot of people are just trying to game out, and don't want to commit which is fine. Also still hard for some of our squaddies to trust the new people especially when their axis. Its hard to convince them not to boot them, but these are long time hardcore allied players :) It is what it is, still fun times.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0