Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yankdog

Will the rig I am thinking of buying run this game

29 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I've been away from the game for a couple years or more and buying a new computer and hoping it will run the game effectively without lag or incident. I am just not very computer savvy so I'm relying on your advice.

I am thinking of buying an Asus Essentio Desktop-8GB Memory,64 bit, i7-2600 processor 8MB L3 cache with a 3.4GHZ processor with turbo boost up to 3.8GHZ. Video card is a NVIDIA GT 520. I'm not sure if I need to provide any other info.

First, any reputation these types of computers have with this game and second, will this computer easily support the game and likely upgrades planned in the near future.

I'd like to make a decision pretty fast go get back in the game so all input welcome.

Thanks

--yankdog

Id save $$$ and go with an i5 2500K @ 3.3GHZ

The K means its an unlocked CPU and you can overclock it simply through the BIOS with one click up to 4.2GHZ

The NVIDIA GT 520 is a low end card you'll be sorry you bought.

I just upgraded my CPU to the 2500K(running at 4.2),mobo,8 gigs of RAM for under $300

I reused my old Nvidia GTS 250 on my 27" monitor @ 1900 x 1200 resolution and my FPS are great.

BTW, if you decide to get the K version and OC it, get an aftermarket cooler for $20 bucks or so.Stock one is garbage.

Do you have a Microcenter near you, you could try to get it built there, that store is incredible and so are the prices...

Oh 1 more thing, make sure the mobo has a Z68 or P67 chipset if you plan to OC..

Build your own man its simple..

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. The 520 being a low end one concerns me a great deal. I agree its far cheaper to build. But this is one we're going to buy at a store for more reasons than I can go into right now. I assume I can upgrade it later right? I'm not the only one making the decision or else I would certainly have it built. So, the specs in my original post, will it run the game effectively?

Thanks

--Yankdog

Edited by yankdog

Yes, that CPU is fine.

The graphics card is low end and depending on what power supply that comes with it, you can upgrade that at a later date.

You have a link from where your buying it from, because if its a low profile video card you may be limited in the future..

If your spending over $700 for the PC please think twice

Edited by Pittpete

Sure:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Essentio+Desktop+-+8GB+Memory+-+750GB+Hard+Drive/4602964.p?id=1218496160271&skuId=4602964

Just so folks know, this one is not my preference. I don't like Best Buy. But it's a gift and we're paying about $100. Has to be from Best Buy (long story don't ask LOL). But I want to make sure it works with the game and I can upgrade it.

So, let me know.

Again, I appreciate the help a great deal.

--Yankdog

If I'm not mistaken, that looks like an on-board video card. IE. Integrated. EDIT. Definitely integrated.

You need to make sure that the motherboard has a PCI-E slot as well so that you can disable the on-board video ASAP and put in a decent card.

If it doesn't have a PCI-E slot... then it's worthless as a gaming PC.

After minor research I seriously doubt that the 520 will run the game in any useful way. It is seriously craptastic.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to see if any others fit the bill from the best buy website. Unfortunately its got to be from Best Buy. It's interesting I asked if it was integrated and they said no so I'm confused now.

--Yank

it will work untill you can upgrade the vid card.

Asus makes some pretty solid gear.

nvidia just released their gtx680 a few days ago and i've been seeing the gtx 580's going for 250-350 bucks on ebay. there is a 570 being sold for 250 right now if you go look.

those are kinda overkill for this game, and if this is the only game you play you could get away with using a gts250.

*note*

if you buy from ebay only buy evga or xfx cards as they have transferrable warranties.

look at the specs for my rig (under my sig) vs that one.

i get 70-100 fps when i'm flying, 20-50 when i'm poundin dirt.

my card is basically a gts250 with half the ram.

i have aa and af set to 16x, running @ 1080p

GTS 250 = $60

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-Corporation-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTS-250-1GB-DDR3-/110838901916?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item19ce836c9c#ht_500wt_1156

new 550ti = $130

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

without seeing the inside of the pc i can't guarentee any of those will fit though.

Edited by ghost

until they drop some balls and fix the ctds and connections to host lost bullcrap.. no point and spending any amount of money on a rig for this game.

If you can get that for $100 then buy it,but you'll have to buy a new vid card before you can play this game. If you upgrade the vidcard, then you'll have to upgrade the power supply.

According to this review its not worth it http://reviews.bestbuy.com/answers/3545/product/4602964/asus-essentio-desktop-8gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive-questions-answers/questions.htm

If u can get this for a $100 also, go for it http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iBuyPower+-+Gamer+Extreme+Desktop+-+8GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive/4894158.p?id=1218573503856&skuId=4894158

I was reading some reviews of the ibuypower computers-not so good. It kind of concerns me. But they do look more than adequate that is true, at least by the specs if I understand them correctly.

That'll run the game well. If you have the money for it, keep the i7, it'll be good for another 5 years while the i5 will be out of date in 3 at most. If you have a good cooling system, overclocked it is effectively the best on the market.

I would switch the 520 for something at least mid end, like a 550 or an AMD equivalent.

What wattage is your PSU?

I've decided to try and look at something different. Here are the specs. I think this one is a little better choice. Thoughts? (i5 not i7 but main thing is the video card).

Processor Brand Intel®

Processor Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ i5

Processor Speed 3.0GHz (3.3GHz with Turbo Boost)

Cache Memory 6MB

System Memory (RAM) 6GB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 16GB

Type of Memory (RAM) DDR3

Hard Drive Type SATA (7200 rpm)

Hard Drive Size 1TB

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6450

Video Memory 1GB

Audio THX TruStudio PC

Speakers None

Network Card Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN

Wireless Networking Built-in Dell 1501 Wireless-N (802.11n)

Recordable DVD Drive Yes, DVD±RW/CD-RW

Direct-Disc Labeling No

Digital Media Reader or Slots Yes, digital media card reader

Available Expansion Slots 2 PCI Express

USB 2.0 Ports 8 (2 top, 2 front, 4 rear)

Keyboard Description Multimedia

Other Control Devices (mouse, etc.) USB laser mouse

Operating System Platform Windows

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium

System Version 64-bit

ENERGY STAR Qualified No

Best Buy PC App No

HDMI Output Yes

Blu-ray Player No

Graphics Chip AMD/ATI

Drive Capacity 1TB

UPC 884116075653

Edited by yankdog
shorten it up a bit.

That vid card is awful, you'll need to replace it. Rest of the specs look fine, but remember the possibility of having to replace the power supply when you upgrade the card.

i5 is absolutely fine for this game, really there is no advantage to having an i7 for 95% of computer buyers. Raw clock speed (on a single core) is still king in ww2ol.

What about this one. Here are the specs. I can get one of these three that I've mentioned and can upgrade from there in a few months. Again, thanks for all your help:

PRODUCT FEATURES

VISION Technology by AMD

Makes your digital photos and Web sites look amazing and gives a boost to digital music playback.

AMD FX-6100 Six-Core Processor with Radeon HD 7450 graphics

For fast, efficient computing.

10GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM

For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.

6MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache memory

For efficient system processing.

1.5TB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

Offers plenty of storage capacity.

Radeon HD 7450 graphics

Feature 1GB DDR3 dedicated and up to 4855MB total video memory for lush images with stunning detail.

Multidisplay capable

With DVI, VGA (with adapter) and HDMI capabilities and DirectX 11 support, so you can connect a second monitor for additional work space (monitors not included).

15-in-1 media reader

Supports SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card, Secure Digital, miniSD, CompactFlash I/II, IBM Microdrive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo formats.

Also supports MultiMediaCard, Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard mobile and MultiMediaCard Plus formats.

2 USB 3.0 and 6 USB 2.0 ports

For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.

Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)

Connect to the Internet without wires.

Bluetooth interface

Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.

Built-in 10/100/1000Base-T network interface

For quick and easy wired Web connection.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system preinstalled

Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.

Software package included

With Microsoft Office Starter 2010 (product key card required for activation; sold separately).

AMD, AMD Arrow logo, AMD Phenom, Cool'n'Quiet, HyperTransport and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

BTW, what part oif the country do you live in?

What is your budget?

You keep linking some pretty crappy graphic cards and you'll be pretty pissed when you cant play...

He can only get it from best buy so he's limited to the HP/Dell etc. pre built systems which all come with low end oem cards.

The ibuypower one that ghost linked is by far the best of the lot.

ibuypower rigs are some of the best prebuilt ones you can get.

most of their negative reviews are from people who buy these and know nothing about how they work or how to take care of them properly.

I am running an Ibuypower with a 550TI and watercooled CPU and am overclocking, nary a whimper and the game runs smooth as silk. That should work just fine.

Too bad about the player playing it, may not be a fix for that problem.

Hey guys, just so I round out this thread because I hate to leave it hanging this is what I am going to go with for now....

It's an i5 10GB Memory and has an the 6750 DDR5 Video Card. It's the i5 I posted about earlier that they'll upgrade in the store.

I know a "build" is better but I don't have that much say in what we are getting since a family member works there and this is the best we can do. I think it should work form what I read, at least acceptably for this game. I did check and I can upgrade the thing further.

At some point on down the road I'll buy a genuine gaming computer but that's for later.

Wish me luck chaps.

Hey guys, just so I round out this thread because I hate to leave it hanging this is what I am going to go with for now....

It's an i5 10GB Memory and has an the 6750 DDR5 Video Card. It's the i5 I posted about earlier that they'll upgrade in the store.

I know a "build" is better but I don't have that much say in what we are getting since a family member works there and this is the best we can do. I think it should work form what I read, at least acceptably for this game. I did check and I can upgrade the thing further.

At some point on down the road I'll buy a genuine gaming computer but that's for later.

Wish me luck chaps.

Sounds good to me. I'm running an I5 with a lesser graphics card than that and I can play.

Wish me luck chaps.

It should do the job.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0