Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smythes

Diary of an LTAP...

17 posts in this topic

02/04/2012

H75

S'Hertonbosch - Vehgel - Helmond

Lifted, AA active - flew south climbing to eindhoven - got bounced - acquired bandit in front but he was zoom climbing - took hawk inverted (with damage) and split S'd and rtbd weaving to clear tail - hawk turns well and has good dive airspeed. Landed safely.

RTBD eindhoven

H75

Eindhoven - Vehgel - Helmond

Lifted and flew nth to try to find Greg1488 who was being hit by mutliple 09s - had one following him - rest pulled off him. Started turning and shooting as i could not gain n him - trying to get him to loose airspeed and slow down - which he was.

Got fixated and was itching I should check 6 - then had ea plink me - kept on him (nutter!) took more damage and pulled up and round and tried to enage 09 on me - lost it and went into deck.

Doh!

H81

S'Hertgonboshch - Veghal

Lifted and clmbed to wards vehgal - saw chase low on left (2 allied 1 09 chasing the front greentag) so went in and bnzd 09 who turned at last second - I had throttled back for dive. Went up and over with throttle and reacquired bandit - made another pass and missed - bandit went to deck. I kept height and pulled up over him watching over wing. Was blacking out a tad so let release of the stick and went after him.

Reacquired him below me and luckily he turned away from me - lost viz? So I lined up on him and dived in - he was going straight for veghel - had throttled back and using non zoomed in sights - let them raise gently over him and let rip walking fire onto him as it was missing.

He blew up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pulled up and over to RTB - getting kill on guy who had got plink kill previously!!!!

Kill came from watching bandit above and gauging he was going on a vector away from me. Also - 50 calls allowed punching through the 6 kill so an effective attack. Also speed was ok to gain (just right!) so was able to control shot.

30th January Evening

Sortie 1 - Curtiss Hawk 75A-3 (P36G)

From - Mountfaucon - Carigan/Sedan/Mouzon Triangle

Lifted and climbed out to 4k - very light initially and friendlys barcapping Bertrix.

Eventually closed south of bertrix high and found multiple 09s lifting. Had 2+ on tail and managed to scissor and keep them from hitting me.

Was going to fast though and kept blacking out and loosing SA

Managed to loose them (not sure how) and found Nowotny with EA on 6 - managed to follow him and cut throttle on a turn to follow him - long ranged (300m) deflection shot (fluke!) flamed bandit.

RTB with ticking engine which held out - too much WEP too long!!!!

Sortie 2 - same.

Found light ea over Mouzon - chased bandit who was on 6 - but got to low and followed him in as he rolled low.

On diving on bandit I knew I had bandit somehwere my 6 but as Hawk dives as well as 09 I knew I had time to use this to extend or keep distance.

(Got plink kill!)

Note to self: When you see a bandit in a tight turn in front of you and you have the E - don't go for the tricky guns shot [Pull lead, burn E] but go for a yo yo to gain alt and also look over wing to see what he does.

Then choice of action will be dependent on what he does next.

Edited by Smythes

i enjoy reading your exploits, its like looking in a mirror. you go gurl!

Thanks Kidd - I aim to improve!

Sortie 3 - same.

Didnt manage to climb too high as there was an 09 nth of airfield who I watched and kept off left wing. He disengaged north

Report of 6 09s - so headed towards where they were - with 5 other friendlys about.

Mixed it and had ne bandit Ended up with one bandit on my 6 after I saw 2 go after friendly, he went high and then I saw him come down on me - lots of scissoring and low level activitys - I dont know how I didnt crash!

He kept going high on the turns as I flapped around turning - eventually found he had loosened the turn and went high as I think he went north to help his colleagues. Followed and somehow ended up being jumped by 2 09s again - perhaps same ones? They gflamd a friendly and again I was in it...at one point I had two 09s on a feiendly behind me turning with me! I could have made a more positive manouvere to get out of that - ultimately came around again and saw two same bandits on friendly -with lead pursuit tired maximum deflection shot (90 degrees on bandits) blew through and was going too slo and lo to be effective - friendly hill let me get speed up - saw 2 cons so decided to rtb as in bad state.

Not successful but survived! Managed to use turns to create angles, using high speed in dive to extend and catch ea.

Lots of spaying in praying - not waiting for golden moment,....

31st January Evening

Got onto a 110 in a barrell roll and crashed - he throttled back -flaps - obviously I didnt. Fell for a trick and plunged in.

Meh.

Sortie 2 - Curtiss Hawk 75A-3 (P36G)

Lifted and joined Nnowotnys TS channel - climed out to 2k - 111 engaged inclimbing turn as it came on - got hits.

Got on 110 - he dived out and this time I didnt fall for it. He ends up climbing - I follow and gain on him - gettng some good shots along his wings so he smokes. I lost him a bit, but found him again low. He breaks downwards - negative g so I loose him momentarily so I turn over but dont pull hard after him- he is slow over forest.

Again down on his six and closing - his rear gunner plinks me. Still on him - let him have it - he turns so i go up and over and again down on him again. THis time quite a high rate of closure so I literally hold my finger down and fly through and over him.

NExt thing I know is he is taken out by a friendly after I did the hard work of slowing him down and beating him up!!!!

[note I will be AWOL for a month so will continu posting my AAR's upon return :)]

Sortie 3 - Same.

This time after being engaged by a bnzing 09 and evading 5+ 09s turn up...rapidly goes bad - try to scissor but too fast so I black out and my turns are very slow - so too fast! Get shot down for my troubles.

Sortie 4 - Same

Lifted with 7 09s over Stenay reported - gaining alt to 4 K - coming back and turning in I see multiple cons low - a lot of red! Blast through and out the other side with E and zoom out - tryign to "slice and come back". More of a splurge - not being pursued though, I run back in through a mixed alt gaggle of 09s - shooting as I go.....and running directly south to home - trim level to maintain airspeed - I am safe.

No kills but interetsing - lessons:

Don't get duped into barrell rolling into the ground.

When you want to scissor THROTTLE BACK

When you want to scissor THROTTLE BACK

Good use of the vertical with the 110.

Nice to us a technique like the slice, to try out a new tactic.

Negative G manouvere put to good use by 110.

Thursday 2nd February

From - Mountfaucon - Longwy

Took off and climbed out nth to 3k.

Cam in from north and circled target - went well that I saw a bandit and picked it out - then deselecting for a higher one - still below me - let it pass my right wing and then swung round on it - he was climbing and low E so I gained on him. Managed to get a shot close in but unable to sustain angle - passed him so split S out and climbed away.

Same approach again - this time found 109s co alt. Ended up with one on coming on 12 - did a defensive spiral to get away. Dived out and ended up with 2 + ea on ym 6 - barrell rool foxed hi mas he had E so he went high - lost vis. Tried to scissor but no joy. He slowed down so scissoring didnt work (poor sicssor by me) - should have gon into turn to see if I got get him. Before I got shot down I did have 2 ea in front of me but no e to capitalise on it.

As bandit was slow - equal energy state - he would turn as well as me so scissoring was out - should have gone into a turn to try and catch him.

1 ea dmg

Sortie 2 - Curtiss Hawk 75A-3 (P36G)

Heav yea - flew with Nowotony - very busy!!!

Ended up with 2 ea on 6 - 1 crashed an other got sot down - ended up slow and low with a low 09 - If I lagged turn (e.g. took pressureoff yurn to extend) he would turn on me and plink me at range - eventually he flopped in - I turned in and got kill on him as he was on the ground :P or as I had damaged him earlier as did get shots on 09s.

Not a very chivalrous thing to do...

1 kill

RTB

Sortie 3 - Curtiss Hawk 81

Spent a lot of time flying around - Caught 09 and 110 - 110 dived out to drag. Got on him and laced him with 50 cal - he bunted down - red out caused so I went up and over to look for him - friendly finished him off. NOTE this has happened before!

Then tried to barcap Bert - Now and Dewo trailed an 09 - I flew past them and turned in on him - but he saw me and turned towards me too. so I flew to his side to mess up his shot.

Then flying around - Mjdixon had 3 ea - we met him and Dewo and Nowotny killed them!!!! I kept high looking for benz oppurtunity. None presented.

Note should have extended position with the a/c I was flying as unable to pull round rapidly enough and turn fighting low making it very bad for angles.

Was able to cover distance to intercept really quickly.

Rtb 1 dmg on 110.

Overall Thought.

Misjudging enemy state killed me with low scissoring - although was extending from a turn fight on good pilot - so was getting suckered into turn fight low - so that was handy.

5/02/2012

Sortie 1- Curtiss Hawk 81

From - Mountfaucon - Cobreville

Long climb out north.

Headed over target to orbit between Wiltz and CObra.

Saw grey con ib cobraville - benzd it - lag pursuit to nose on to 2 second burts to over top of hom. Lost SA and target - should have inverted.

Saw smoking stuka low over town - kept high.

Again orbited and picked up leader low with 2 cons which are a 09 and stuka - make a Bnz pass on Stuka - hits and get him smoking. Make a Bnz pass (tryign to keep speed down a tad) and get hits on 09.

Pull back around and get plinked - thinking stuka on me to find 110.

Ok - start to turn (scissor) but think NO - started to barrell roll instaed - barrell roll a bit to high - checked 6 ti see EA had friendly on him - however got leg shot and had to bail out.

End result was 3 damages!!! 2 x stuka and 1 x 09....

Death caused by not spotting 110 ib - could have evaded/extended turned tables - isntead he ended up on my dead 6 easy...

06/02/2012

Sortie 1 - Curtiss Hawk 81

Bertrix - Orval - Habay

Was online with Jono - lifted from Bertrix and headed west and then sth and back to Bertrix as AA had been going off. Spotted a con of my left wing 1 k down and going nth away. Let it pass wing and turned onto it with jono following.

Went in fast - aiming for it - managed to get 3 second burst in on it from close 6 - he bailed and I went up and over - got kill for 110.

We reformed and headed out to cover Wiltz to target. Spotted con near Habay - Jono went for it - was Stuka - I stayed high watching. It dragged Jono over town and Jono took damage from flak, despite having made the stuka smoke. Jono bugged out from flak hugging Stuka and headed NE - with the Stuka chasing!!!! I let stuka pass left wing and dived in on it - cross controlling with rudder and throttling back to not overshoot - again 3 second burst from 6 after clousre got kill - lucky he didnt see me.

Both kills that mission were a result of not being seen and aiming and shooting well.

06/02/2012

Sortie 2 - Curtiss Hawk 81

Bertrix - Orval - Habay

Sortie didnt go according to plan as Jono went through a warphole inot a differet dimension, a copy of our workd witout any danger....

I managed to find 1 co alt 109 and 110 and another ea joined shortly after - without engaging I decided to leg it and rtb.

Sortie 3 - Curtiss Hawk 81

Bertrix - Orval - Habay

Robmol joined us and Jono - we went west and nth and east of Bertrix towards target. Eventually found a low 110. Called out to beware of 09s as they had been with 110s earlier - I stayed high as Jono and rob went in. As expected 09 and 110 joined - 110 got on Jonos six so I was able to make slashing attacks agaisnt the 09 on him but in 3 passes did not stop jono getting killed :(. Whilst i was coming throuhg on the ea circling on Jono and Rob I was shooting at the 110's and they were shotitgn back in raised head ons. After Rob went in on one of these passes I got hit in a head on and went in.

Managed to get a kill on a 110, another 110 damage and an 09 damage.

Issue and problem this mission was the fact I was higher with e above a turnight. Passes were fast but few, and gunnery hard. Should jono have stopped turning and tried a different tack? Tricky. For me there were 3 ea circling to latching onto one would have been putting myself in a bad position if I had not been able to down the ea (e.g. no good if we both get shot down)...but I should have dumped the E and gone in n the turning 09 - next time- dump e and get down.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0