Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tautu

Windows 8

14 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I've just downloaded and installed Windows 8 x64, and have been trying out WWII online.

System is a Samsung RF711SO7UK laptop. (2.2GH I7, Nvidia GT540M Optimus, 8 GB Ram)

The game seems to boot without a problem, except the screen flickers (now u see it now you dont - from game screen to a black screen) constantly. After a number of retires, seting it to run in legacy mode, etc. it SOMETIMES flickers on boot but then stops flickering when the game has started.

When I manage to get in the game without flickering, the FPS is much higher for me than in Windows 7 x 64. Getting cca. 75fps in offline mode and 57fps in online (spawning a plane).

Has anyone else tested windows 8, any impressions, or ideas as to how to get rid of the flickering?

Thanks,

Just downloaded it, will install tomorrow and try it out.

Game flickers just could be graphics drivers not yet ready for windows 8.

Well i hope something simple as that.

Not to sure i gonna like this windows 8, i tend to wait a while after the Vista C**k up Microsoft did, so staying a bit sceptical

I have a feeling the flickering is from the differences in DWM between W7 and W8. Configuring it, disabling metro/aero or running ww2 (not playgate) in compability mode should take care of the problem.

Altho since it's very new it can very well be other problems involved. But without more info released from microsoft this is the best i can offer at the moment.

Bit of a necro, but this should probably be un-stickied; don't want to give people the impression it doesn't work on Windows 8. It works on my Windows 8 64-bit system with no problems.

I read all the posts here. But time has gone by and I'm thinking of buying a new computer for Miss Rutie. She does pretty much basic stuff, email, websites, etc.

But they all come with Windows 8. Could of few of you knowledgeable guys pass along some info on it and how it does on a PC??

I'd appreciate it.

I have a brand new MSI GS70 Laptop with Win8.1, 16GB RAM, discrete Nvidia Geforce GTX 765M w/2GB VRAM. I'm playing wirelessly.

I have updated all hardware drivers.

I currently have Playgate.exe and WW2.exe set to run in Win7 compatibility mode.

The games runs with some quirks.

1. The sound is really odd. It starts out soft then goes quickly to max for all sounds within about 10 or 15 seconds. If I open the map the sounds all drop down then creep back up again when I close the map. I think other things will cause them to drop down (aaa audio, aircraft audio) but then they'll always come back up again. It does make it very hard to judge distance.

2. I cannot select the Nvidia card as the graphics card in Settings. It is not listed at all. I verified in the device manager that it is enabled. Surprisingly the game runs just fine on the Intel 4600 card on the motherboard.

3. Whenever I play inf and I engage an ei I get a two or three second lag spike where my fps drops to one and the screen freezes up. If I live, I'm usually able to continue as normal afterwards. I think my network use maxes out when this happens but I need to test some more to be sure.

4. Occasionally on hitting Play the screen goes black and nothing else happens and the Persona screen never appears. Restarting always fixes this.

5. Occasionally if I alt-tab out,when I tab back in I'm at a screen than seems to be locked, almost like a frame cap, but I can still hear myself moving around, reloading, etc.. If I tab out and back in, then I can play again.

Overall the game is playable, although I'd love to fix the sound and lag problems.

I have a brand new MSI GS70 Laptop with Win8.1, 16GB RAM, discrete Nvidia Geforce GTX 765M w/2GB VRAM. I'm playing wirelessly.

2. I cannot select the Nvidia card as the graphics card in Settings. It is not listed at all. I verified in the device manager that it is enabled. Surprisingly the game runs just fine on the Intel 4600 card on the motherboard.

Try

Open Nvidia Control panel

go to 3d settings

click program settings tab

add wwiiol

select cuda gpu and select your dedicated graphics there.

then go back to playgate settings and select graphics card

you could use global settings rather than program but will constantly usre it then which drains battery fast

Edited by petie

Cool! Thanks Petie, I've changed the settings. Soon as I die I'll restart the game with using the Nvidia card.

I must be doing something wrong, I think I've correctly followed all the steps and the 765 still doesn't show up in Settings.

I must be doing something wrong' date=' I think I've correctly followed all the steps and the 765 still doesn't show up in Settings.[/quote']

It probably won't. Your computer will still use it if you have it set through the nVidia control panel. I noticed this issue with Morrowind (running the Overhaul on highest settings with the Geforce 780M) - the integrated card was unable to run it and it took me a bit to figure out the override with the nVidia panel. Oblivion and Skyrim both showed the card though so I had no issues with that.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0