• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lance

Cannot run BFE.

15 posts in this topic

I am having a problem running Battleground Europe. My system is a Gigabyte GA-790FXT-UD5P, 4GB OCZ RAM, Sapphire Radeon 6950 w 2GB. When I start the program the screen goes blank and stays that way. There is no action from the mouse, sometimes. When I activate the Task Manager I get a static screen of a phase of the start up menu, ie, selecting a unit, sometimes the intro screen, etc. It all depends on when I activate the Task Manager. When I close the Task Manager and reopen it I get a new static screen of the program only it is a little further along with the startup. When I am in the Practice Offline mode once I make a weapon selection and the close the Task Manager and reopen it I can fire the wepon, reload it, etc. Just can't see anything moving. One of the FAQs on the wwII online support page says there is a problem with ATI zbuffering. I followed the instructions there, (using regedit, change the zbuffers from 7 to 14. When I try this all I find is zformats_na 31 00. I am using the most recent catalyst, 12.3.

Try running in compatibility mode for XP pack 3. Rick click the WWIIOL icon, you'll see a "run in compatibility mode".

Tried it and it doesn't change anything. I will reboot and see if that changes anything although I doubt it. I get sound but the video is frozen and advances in steps each time I open the task manager.

not an expert here but coudl this be lack of memory ?

BGE is a 32 bit application, meaning it has a max address space of 4G. Doesn't the gfx card memory need to be mapped into that 4G space? And that "Sapphire Radeon 6950 w 2GB" has 2G of memory I assume. Another 512M used for other OS purposes, leaving only 1.5G for game. I think game hits that during startup before even spawnign in?

What processor are you using? Is this a new build?

You said you only had 2GB of ram. This alone wouldn't be an issue but if your processor is below specs it may not load. Given the motherboard your using and graphic card I'm assuming your processor is probably fast enough.

I had a problem in the past where if I had triple buffering enabled at the same time verticle sync was enabled the game would not load at all. So you might try turning off verticle sync just to rule it out.

Otherwise I'd question the video driver.

That is 2gb on the video card and 4 gb on the motherboard. You may have hit something tho concerning the triple buffering. I'm going to look at that now.

There is a difference between the RAM on the video card and the actual RAM. Both his videocard, and the RAM he has are sufficient, although I would suggest he goes to 8 gigs very soon.

I am going to go back two iterations of the AMD Vision Control Center and all the drivers and see if that does it.

Got it! removed 12-4 Catalyst software and installed 11-9 version. Had to go back and clean the registry to get a clean install. Everything appears to be ok now. Thank you all for your help.

Lance

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0