Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stdyhand

Bsod

4 posts in this topic

I am having a problem with one of my PC's. It is getting a BSOD at random times. It happens whether I am playing the game or not, though it is more likely to do it under the load of the game.

First I started getting a BSOD at random times. I ran Memtest for about 8 hours and it came up with zero errors on both sticks of ram (2x2gb).

I ran Seagate diagnostics test from both the windows environment and from a boot up disc. It said the hard drive was fine.

So I used the Windows disc to check for any start up errors so it could repair them if needed. Well it said Windows could not find any startup problems.

I replaced the SATA cable also, but that didn't help.

The computer does boot up fine and sometimes it will run for hours with no problems and then just randomly crash. Anyway, due to the chances it could still be the hard drive, I replaced it with another one. It ran fine for a while and then started doing it again with the other hard drive. Again, the 2nd drive tested good also.

I thought maybe the graphic card was doing it, so I swapped it with another graphic card which came from a fully functional PC with no problems. But still it crashes.

The temps are fine. The motherboard temps stay at about 29-32c. The CPU stays around 36-46c depending on whether the game is running. The graphics card stays about 36-50 depending on what I'm doing.

Nothing is overclocked on this PC. I am at a loss and not sure what else to check.

This PC's specs are similar to the other comptuers I have in the house and they are running fine.

Specs for this PC:

Asus M3A32-MVP

Phenom BE 2.7ghz

4GB Corsair XMS

Vista 64

Edited by stdyhand

Only thing i can think is Memory.

Ive had problems with Memory in past, They didn't show in Memtest sometimes, and after a few tries they did.

Strange things go on. Best to keep leaving memtest on over night for few nights, see if it picks up anything.

Try swapping Mem sticks around then Run Memtest, thats how i picked it up when i had the problem.

I believe this PC has a Logisys 650w power supply. Come to think of it, the PSU is a few years old now so it might be worth checking out. I will probably pull it out and use a multimeter to see how much power it is putting out and maybe pull the cover and see if any capacitors are blown or swollen. I've soldered a few in some LCD tv's in the past so if that is the case I should be able to fix it without having to get a new PSU.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0