• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sabotage1

Blah, my thermal pad melted

9 posts in this topic

I pulled my heatsink off today since I thought I narrowed down my PC crashing to CPU overheat. Anyway, I pulled off the heatsink and noticed that my thermal pad on the heatsink melted through. The melted Themal pad is now on the CPU.

Do you think a new heatsink will fix my heat problems, or because of the melted thermal pad, will I need a new CPU too?

Thanks

* Its and AMD Barton, so shouldnt be to expensive to replace

The thermal pad is supposed to melt...

cleaning off a melted pad can be a pain in the butt. Most folks use acetone (nail polish remover) and an old toothbrush... you may want to clean off the acetone with a bit of alcohol as well.

Be sure to let the CPU dry before attempting to use again.

Yeah, it's normal for it to melt. When you take the heatsink off, you should clean the pad remnants off both side and put a new one on (or paste).

Ok, well I got some paste so I will clean it up and try the paste next. I didn't have any issues for about 1 year, so I really don't have any idea on why they are starting up now. Should I get a new heatsink just for the hell of it, something must have happened to cause these errors to startup now

And Salem, before pulling off the heatsink I installed the mobo monitor that you mentioned and my CPU was going 70+C in a few minutes of trying to shrink a DVD.

Ok, well I got some paste so I will clean it up and try the paste next. I didn't have any issues for about 1 year, so I really don't have any idea on why they are starting up now.

Dust collection and it's been a hot summer?

Should I get a new heatsink just for the hell of it, something must have happened to cause these errors to startup now

From the nest statement I would say yes...

And Salem, before pulling off the heatsink I installed the mobo monitor that you mentioned and my CPU was going 70+C in a few minutes of trying to shrink a DVD.

I use one of these and love it...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835110007

Note, copied from newegg review: The fan is quiet, but it does provide alot of vibration. Make sure if you have a cheap case to tighten everything down, or you will hear rattling!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0