Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
voyager2

Macintel

6 posts in this topic

Okay folks who's got the skinny on this latest mac move. I am now ready to upgrade my mac after three years and I do not want to get duped as apple likes to do. You know you buy a mac and then the next week a new version comes out. So here are some of my questions for anyone that has the answers.

1. Can I play WWII Online with the MacPro Book?

2. Is it better to stick with the older G4 or G5 models for now and why?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

I've got the newest G5 (1.9 Ghz) iMac and the game plays fine. But, this was not a long term solution, as I plan to buy an Intel Mac when they get all the kinks worked out for the towers.

Voyager2, the internal numbers are between 2x-4x better for the new hardware. Running WW2OL is still problematic on the pre-prod hardware as the software is still maturing so I can't do a direct compare yet. I will be given a personal unit within a week of the beginning of production. At that point, I can do a direct compare to my current Powerbook and post numbers. The only concern that I might have is whether any part of WW2OL would hit the emulators which will bork performance. PM me at intervals to keep this testing in my mind... as you might imagine, I have a fair few things keeping me busy until we get into production. :-)

They really are that great. I would buy one if I wasn't addicted to the bigger screen size. The marketing commit lowballs to guaranteed performance of 1.83GHz. These babies with run-of-the-mill chips are carrying 2.17GHz with ease in normal room temps. Unless you live in Arizona, you'll be exceeding specs. (please note that the previous comments are my own and do not represent any official company guarantee of performance)

Voyager2, the internal numbers are between 2x-4x better for the new hardware. Running WW2OL is still problematic on the pre-prod hardware as the software is still maturing so I can't do a direct compare yet. I will be given a personal unit within a week of the beginning of production. At that point, I can do a direct compare to my current Powerbook and post numbers. The only concern that I might have is whether any part of WW2OL would hit the emulators which will bork performance. PM me at intervals to keep this testing in my mind... as you might imagine, I have a fair few things keeping me busy until we get into production. :-)

They really are that great. I would buy one if I wasn't addicted to the bigger screen size. The marketing commit lowballs to guaranteed performance of 1.83GHz. These babies with run-of-the-mill chips are carrying 2.17GHz with ease in normal room temps. Unless you live in Arizona, you'll be exceeding specs. (please note that the previous comments are my own and do not represent any official company guarantee of performance)

I'll tell you what. I think I'm just going to go ahead and buy the macpro book and max it out. If you want I'd love to participate in any comparison or studies to help people get a good idea. With my life style being what it is a new tower is not in the cards.

We won't have an intel version until the Rats have one in house. I plan to buy one (macbook) but clearly won't get it until probably the end of february at this rate. No idea if its runs under Rosetta or how well. But in the long run it should run very very fast.

My Powerbook is acting very funny lately. It's been showing its age for the last six months or so, but ever since this Macbook announcement, it's been reeeeaaaaal slow. I think it's telling me something...:D

Actually I've been planning to get a Macintel for my next laptop ever since the Intel switch was announced. I have to upgrade in the late spring if I'm working out of town starting in June, so that gives me a little time to see how things shape up and avoid any major problems. I'd also like to see my most-used apps, mainly Office and Photoshop, released to run natively. Now the hardest thing will be waiting for four months while everybody unwraps their shiny new Macbooks, while my PB complains about opening a page in Safari.

I don't play WWIIOL on my Mac (mostly because it's below system requirements and plays horribly), but I will have to if I'm out of town again this summer, so I'm looking forward to hearing how WWII runs on it.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0